NewTiburon.com Rookie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
sc1984 is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
Cam shaft out of alignment

Hey Guys,

I replaced my timing belt and water pump. Put everything back together and working fine. Drove on the freeway and engine started overheating. Turn out I did something wrong with the water pump and was leaking. So, I took off the timing belt cover and double checked timing, which was good and then started the car briefly to check for the leak. I determined it was the water pump and got a new gasket and replaced the old one. I then put the belt back on and realized I forgot to realign the timing marks. So, like an idiot I tried to quickly get everything back on in a hurry. I dont know about you guys but I cant get the belt on without taking off 1 off the tensioners/pulleys first. So I left the tensioner off and began turning crankshaft to make sure alignment was good. All the sudden I gear a noise. The tension wasn't enough and it slipped. So, I put the tensioner back on and start cranking by hand, which seemed harder than usual. Low and behold the right cam is 1 tooth ahead and the left cam is 10 teeth behind! (No idea how it got that bad) Did I just totally ruin my engine? Or simply take off the belt and individually move cams into position and everything is right in the world? Keep in mind the engine was off during this period and just turned the crankshaft manually.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 06-07-2019, 10:43 PM
Still the same me...

Mentioned: 251 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2240 Post(s)
Charlie-III has much to be proud ofCharlie-III has much to be proud ofCharlie-III has much to be proud ofCharlie-III has much to be proud ofCharlie-III has much to be proud ofCharlie-III has much to be proud ofCharlie-III has much to be proud ofCharlie-III has much to be proud ofCharlie-III has much to be proud ofCharlie-III has much to be proud ofCharlie-III has much to be proud of
Re: Cam shaft out of alignment

I would remove the belt, relax tension on cams, set the crank and start over.
Cross fingers, toes, eyes, etc., that it's all OK.

Wifes car: 2004 Tib GT, 2.7L, 5MT, 193K miles, medium blue, basically stock.
My car: 1998 Legacy GT wagon, 2.5L, 5MT, 176K miles, "Quicksilver", not stock and not slow...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"life is lived, one corner at a time".
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Best NT.com '13 New-Comer, NT.com '13 Technical Advise & Info (runner-up), NT.com '13 Non-Tib (3rd) .
post #3 of 8 Old 06-07-2019, 11:15 PM Thread Starter
NewTiburon.com Rookie

(Thread Starter)

How exactly do I start over? The crank is at TDC and belt is off. Do I simply move the cam to the positions they need to be in? I saw a video where they unbolted the cam and moved into position then bolted back down. Is that the case? Or can I just start moving the cam with the belt off with no other steps? Obviously would like to avoid unbolting the cam since that will require a ton of time tearing apart air intake etc.
post #4 of 8 Old 06-08-2019, 07:48 AM
NewTiburon.com Post Master

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1058 Post(s)
dmdicks is a splendid one to beholddmdicks is a splendid one to beholddmdicks is a splendid one to beholddmdicks is a splendid one to beholddmdicks is a splendid one to beholddmdicks is a splendid one to beholddmdicks is a splendid one to behold
If its that far off then you will need to remove and reinstall the cams on that head to avoid damaging the valves.

Huffin E85 and lovin every minute of it!!

Hit me up on gmail chat
post #5 of 8 Old 06-09-2019, 09:45 PM Thread Starter
NewTiburon.com Rookie

(Thread Starter)
Crap. I didnt get a response so i turned by hand with cam bolted on. Now, lets say by a miracle of God everything is ok. Im making an assumption both cams are off. How do i line them up? Does it matter what stroke the crank is on? Or simply just make sure crank is at TDC mark and cams on their mark and everything is good? I know crank needs 2 revolutions to make 1 cam revolution. Any help would be appreciated
post #6 of 8 Old 08-06-2019, 10:39 AM Thread Starter
NewTiburon.com Rookie

(Thread Starter)

Ok, so it took forever but finally have everything back together. I stripped the tensioner bolt threads. I almost crapped myself when it wouldn't tighten. Did some searching and decided to use heli coil. It was either that or junk the engine. After carefully drilling out old threads and creating a new thread the screw locked in. After some trial and error with the timing belt (never lines up after doing 2 rotations) I got it setup. Prayed to God that I didnt warp the valves and turned on the car and everything is working fine. So if there is warping it is minimal. Thanks for all your help
post #7 of 8 Old 08-07-2019, 01:00 PM
NewTiburon.com Post Master

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1058 Post(s)
dmdicks is a splendid one to beholddmdicks is a splendid one to beholddmdicks is a splendid one to beholddmdicks is a splendid one to beholddmdicks is a splendid one to beholddmdicks is a splendid one to beholddmdicks is a splendid one to behold

Count yourself lucky...God had nothing to do with it..

Huffin E85 and lovin every minute of it!!

Hit me up on gmail chat
post #8 of 8 Old 08-08-2019, 08:50 PM
NewTiburon.com God

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 322 Post(s)
M.Kyle is just really niceM.Kyle is just really niceM.Kyle is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by sc1984 View Post
Ok, so it took forever but finally have everything back together. I stripped the tensioner bolt threads. I almost crapped myself when it wouldn't tighten. Did some searching and decided to use heli coil. It was either that or junk the engine. After carefully drilling out old threads and creating a new thread the screw locked in. After some trial and error with the timing belt (never lines up after doing 2 rotations) I got it setup. Prayed to God that I didnt warp the valves and turned on the car and everything is working fine. So if there is warping it is minimal. Thanks for all your help
Whew, lucky you!

What you experienced happens all the time. On one of the cams, there is a lot of valve spring tension against the camshaft because it is holding the valves open.
The camshaft just rotated in order to release the tension. I always think of it as a balancing act. By lining up the camshafts manually, you are getting it to balance the spring pressures at the top of the cam lobe from the open sets of valves.
A little bit to close to either side or a bump to the camshaft wheel will cause it to fall off its balance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the New Tiburon Forum : Hyundai Tiburon Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in