post #1 of 19 Old 07-09-2019, 09:01 AM Thread Starter
NewTiburon.com Newbie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Revo13 is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
Difficulty Shifting Gears

So I was on my way to work this morning and stopped at a red light. When I went to put the car in 1st gear it sort of popped half way in. Pulled it out of gear, tried again, and it didn't want to go into gear until I applied what felt like more than necessary force. Shifting into 2nd was also difficult but not as difficult as 1st. On 3rd I felt an abnormal click (not sure how to describe it), but it did go into gear. 4th and 5th required about the same force as 3rd, minus the click.

By the time I got to work (20 minute drive) shifting was easier in all gears but still felt off. Turned off the car, ran through the gears, and all were fine. Something else I've been noticing is when shifting in to reverse sometimes I need to apply more force and the car will shudder. It doesn't happen all the time. Thoughts?

Thanks for any help in advance!

2007 Tiburon GT, 2.7L, 5MT, 102K miles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 07-09-2019, 02:23 PM
NewTiburon.com Post Master

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1055 Post(s)
dmdicks is a splendid one to beholddmdicks is a splendid one to beholddmdicks is a splendid one to beholddmdicks is a splendid one to beholddmdicks is a splendid one to beholddmdicks is a splendid one to beholddmdicks is a splendid one to behold
Re: Difficulty Shifting Gears

Give us some info with your question. For example when was last time transmission or clutch fluid was changed? Is it the stock or aftermarket clutch? How many miles on the car? Does it have a short shifter installed?

Somethings that can be wrong are:

Clutch is going out
Master and/or slave cylinder going out
Bad clutch fluid
Failing throwout bearing
Shift cable linkage bushing worn out
Shift cables need adjusting
If short shifter installed maybe it lost its alignment with cables?

Huffin E85 and lovin every minute of it!!

Hit me up on gmail chat
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 19 Old 07-09-2019, 02:59 PM Thread Starter
NewTiburon.com Newbie

(Thread Starter)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmdicks View Post
Give us some info with your question. For example when was last time transmission or clutch fluid was changed? Is it the stock or aftermarket clutch? How many miles on the car? Does it have a short shifter installed?

Somethings that can be wrong are:

Clutch is going out
Master and/or slave cylinder going out
Bad clutch fluid
Failing throwout bearing
Shift cable linkage bushing worn out
Shift cables need adjusting
If short shifter installed maybe it lost its alignment with cables?
Apologies, I typed this up quickly this morning. The transmission and clutch fluid have not been changed since I've owned the car (purchased in 2017). The clutch and everything was replaced almost 2 years ago with a kit from Valeo (https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...=1434926&jsn=1). Also had the slave cylinder replaced at the same time with the mod. Only about 103K on the car. No short shifter.
post #4 of 19 Old 07-12-2019, 06:28 AM

dmdicks is a splendid one to beholddmdicks is a splendid one to beholddmdicks is a splendid one to beholddmdicks is a splendid one to beholddmdicks is a splendid one to beholddmdicks is a splendid one to beholddmdicks is a splendid one to behold

Check the condition of the shift cable bushing in the engine bay. Chances are those are worn out and need replacing.

Hit me up on gmail chat
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 19 Old 07-17-2019, 09:36 AM Thread Starter
NewTiburon.com Newbie

(Thread Starter)

Quote:
Check the condition of the shift cable bushing in the engine bay. Chances are those are worn out and need replacing.
Going to hopefully check out the bushings after work today. The gear that seems to give me the most problem is 1st gear. On Monday night it really didn't want to go into 1st gear and 2nd was also a pain. However, about 3/4 of the way to my destination I could shift into gears just fine. Now it's Wednesday and it's still fine.

Would the bushings cause something this sporadic?

post #6 of 19 Old 07-17-2019, 01:13 PM

Typically not. Bad transmission flluid or worn synchros could cause sporadic issues.

Hit me up on gmail chat
post #7 of 19 Old 07-22-2019, 08:40 AM Thread Starter
NewTiburon.com Newbie

(Thread Starter)

Quote:
Typically not. Bad transmission flluid or worn synchros could cause sporadic issues.
Well I had the clutch bled over the weekend. Now I can't shift into any gear except reverse. Trying to shift into 1st -5th it feels like hitting a wall.

post #8 of 19 Old 07-22-2019, 02:08 PM
Still the same me...

Mentioned: 251 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2240 Post(s)
Charlie-III has much to be proud ofCharlie-III has much to be proud ofCharlie-III has much to be proud ofCharlie-III has much to be proud ofCharlie-III has much to be proud ofCharlie-III has much to be proud ofCharlie-III has much to be proud ofCharlie-III has much to be proud ofCharlie-III has much to be proud ofCharlie-III has much to be proud ofCharlie-III has much to be proud of

Soooo........how does it shift engine off?
If fine, what happens in gear when you start the car?

If it shifts fine engine off, but drags when trying to start.....not likely a trans issue, more likely a clutch system/flywheel issue.
Could be master or slave, could be air, could be flex line, could be ToB.....could even be a dual mass flywheel coming apart (a number of threads here on that....).
The_Evenger likes this.

Wifes car: 2004 Tib GT, 2.7L, 5MT, 193K miles, medium blue, basically stock.
My car: 1998 Legacy GT wagon, 2.5L, 5MT, 176K miles, "Quicksilver", not stock and not slow...

"life is lived, one corner at a time".

Best NT.com '13 New-Comer, NT.com '13 Technical Advise & Info (runner-up), NT.com '13 Non-Tib (3rd) .
post #9 of 19 Old 07-22-2019, 03:11 PM Thread Starter
NewTiburon.com Newbie

(Thread Starter)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie-III View Post
Soooo........how does it shift engine off?
If fine, what happens in gear when you start the car?

If it shifts fine engine off, but drags when trying to start.....not likely a trans issue, more likely a clutch system/flywheel issue.
Could be master or slave, could be air, could be flex line, could be ToB.....could even be a dual mass flywheel coming apart (a number of threads here on that....).
Just went outside to check. I can shift gears fine with the engine off. Started the car in 1st no drag. I was also able to shift through all of the gears. Reverse did what it has done for awhile and jolted the car. What the hell? It would not go into a single gear this morning except reverse.

So the shop that bled the clutch (was already there to have an o2 sensor replaced) checked the master and slave and told me there didn't appear to be any leaks or issues. When they bled the clutch they did lose pedal pressure completely. It was converted to a single mass flywheel when the clutch was replaced 2 years ago.

post #10 of 19 Old 07-23-2019, 08:14 AM

Ask them how they bled the clutch? If not done properly air can still be in the system and cause issues. To do it properly its a 2 person job unless they have a air powered vacuum system.

Hit me up on gmail chat
post #11 of 19 Old 07-23-2019, 03:47 PM
NewTiburon.com Newbie

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Sebastian Rinaldi is an unknown quantity at this point
Garage

When my car is still warming up I have to go slow when shifting from 1st to 2nd or I have a very crunchy shift. Syncros might need replacing, based on what you guys are saying.
post #12 of 19 Old 07-24-2019, 10:05 AM Thread Starter
NewTiburon.com Newbie

(Thread Starter)

Quote:
Ask them how they bled the clutch? If not done properly air can still be in the system and cause issues. To do it properly its a 2 person job unless they have a air powered vacuum system.
2 people bled the clutch. They told me that it would be ready to pick up by the time I got there. That's how I found out they lost the pedal completely because when I got there they weren't done yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebastian Rinaldi View Post
When my car is still warming up I have to go slow when shifting from 1st to 2nd or I have a very crunchy shift. Syncros might need replacing, based on what you guys are saying.
I haven't ruled out the syncros entirely. However, from what I've been reading and the symptoms I'm seeing it doesn't appear to be the syncros. When I am able to shift into gear there isn't any grinding or crunchy shift. I have a new Exedy clutch master cylinder (https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...434926&jsn=994) and slave cylinder (https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...34926&jsn=1006) coming to rule those out completely. Anybody have any experience with those parts? I know Exedy is reputable.

Really appreciate the help!

post #13 of 19 Old 07-26-2019, 12:41 PM
NewTiburon.com Professional

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 230 Post(s)
The_Evenger
Garage

The car jolts when you put it in reverse? as in, the car wants to move when you're putting it in gear? if that's the case, the clutch can't be fully disengaging and that would be your problem. if that's a bad master or slave cylinder, or a DMF coming apart, I couldn't tell you.

I've bleed my clutch by myself a few times, it's time consuming but doable. open the bleeder -> push the pedal to the floor (it'll stay there) -> close the bleeder -> pull the pedal up -> top off the fluid -> repeat.

could also be that your master cylinder is out of adjustment. where about does the clutch engage when you release the pedal. normally, it's near the top of the pedal.

2004 Tiburon GT WN | minor performance mods(
)
post #14 of 19 Old 07-27-2019, 01:13 AM Thread Starter
NewTiburon.com Newbie

(Thread Starter)

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Evenger View Post
The car jolts when you put it in reverse? as in, the car wants to move when you're putting it in gear? if that's the case, the clutch can't be fully disengaging and that would be your problem. if that's a bad master or slave cylinder, or a DMF coming apart, I couldn't tell you.

I've bleed my clutch by myself a few times, it's time consuming but doable. open the bleeder -> push the pedal to the floor (it'll stay there) -> close the bleeder -> pull the pedal up -> top off the fluid -> repeat.

could also be that your master cylinder is out of adjustment. where about does the clutch engage when you release the pedal. normally, it's near the top of the pedal.
I wouldn't say that it wants to move but more that the entire car shakes. Going to replace the master and slave cylinder on Sunday to see. Appreciate the tip on bleeding the clutch. I'm more worried about bleeding the clutch than the parts because I've heard it can be a pain.

The clutch engages towards the bottom of the pedal. Not as soon as I start releasing the pedal though. I feel like that's where it's always been. Never towards the top.

post #15 of 19 Old 07-27-2019, 11:15 AM
NewTiburon.com Professional

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 230 Post(s)
The_Evenger
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revo13 View Post
I wouldn't say that it wants to move but more that the entire car shakes. Going to replace the master and slave cylinder on Sunday to see. Appreciate the tip on bleeding the clutch. I'm more worried about bleeding the clutch than the parts because I've heard it can be a pain.

The clutch engages towards the bottom of the pedal. Not as soon as I start releasing the pedal though. I feel like that's where it's always been. Never towards the top.
for bleeding in general, it helps to have a bottle with some brake fluid in it and hose coming out of it that fits snugly on the bleeder, I drill a hole in the cap and run the hose to the bottom. this way you can't accidentally suck air back into the system because it'll just suck brake fluid from the hose / bottle.

the pedal should definitely engage near the top of the pedal with or without the delay valve present, at least with stock parts. there's also a small amount of adjustment you can do with the rod coming out of the master that connects to the pedal linkage.

IIRC a video on doing the clutch said that the MC needed to be released completely for the reservoir to be connected to the rest of the system. point being, if the linkage is improperly adjusted it may cause problems bleeding the clutch.

2004 Tiburon GT WN | minor performance mods(
)
post #16 of 19 Old 07-28-2019, 10:03 PM
NewTiburon.com Newbie

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
rafaelm is an unknown quantity at this point

I had a similar problem 2 weeks ago.
The problem was that the master cylinder plastic end (the part that connects to the pedal ) got misaligned and was not pushing enough fluid to the slave cylinder.
We replaced the master & the slave cylinders, and the hose for good measurement. Car shifts like a dream now.
R
post #17 of 19 Old 07-29-2019, 09:13 AM Thread Starter
NewTiburon.com Newbie

(Thread Starter)

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Evenger View Post
for bleeding in general, it helps to have a bottle with some brake fluid in it and hose coming out of it that fits snugly on the bleeder, I drill a hole in the cap and run the hose to the bottom. this way you can't accidentally suck air back into the system because it'll just suck brake fluid from the hose / bottle.

the pedal should definitely engage near the top of the pedal with or without the delay valve present, at least with stock parts. there's also a small amount of adjustment you can do with the rod coming out of the master that connects to the pedal linkage.

IIRC a video on doing the clutch said that the MC needed to be released completely for the reservoir to be connected to the rest of the system. point being, if the linkage is improperly adjusted it may cause problems bleeding the clutch.
I got the new master cylinder in. I decided to leave the slave alone since it's only 2 years old and it started raining. It sucks not having a garage. I adjusted the throw and it's all the way towards the top of the pedal now and I'm going to have to learn to drive it all over again. When I took the old master out and bled the system there was so much black fluid that I'm convinced that the shop didn't even bleed the system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rafaelm View Post
I had a similar problem 2 weeks ago.
The problem was that the master cylinder plastic end (the part that connects to the pedal ) got misaligned and was not pushing enough fluid to the slave cylinder.
We replaced the master & the slave cylinders, and the hose for good measurement. Car shifts like a dream now.
R
I replaced the master cylinder and adjusted the throw. The pedal is much stiffer than it has ever been and it shifts effortlessly now. I'm going to drive around for a couple days and see how it feels. Thanks everyone for the input.

post #18 of 19 Old 07-29-2019, 09:44 AM

Yeah, if the system is not bled properly it will cause all sorts of issues. Sounds like they didn't bleed it at all.

Hit me up on gmail chat
post #19 of 19 Old 08-05-2019, 01:35 PM Thread Starter
NewTiburon.com Newbie

(Thread Starter)

Quote:
Yeah, if the system is not bled properly it will cause all sorts of issues. Sounds like they didn't bleed it at all.
Which really sucks because they were right down the street from where I live and I had heard good things about them.

But just wanted to close this thing out by saying I've been driving it around everyday and everything appears to be great. Now to deal with the pesky P0442 code.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
2007 gt, clutch, shifting

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the New Tiburon Forum : Hyundai Tiburon Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in