6 speed shifts but clutch won't engage - New Tiburon Forum : Hyundai Tiburon Forums

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 41 Old 04-12-2013, 11:33 PM Thread Starter
NewTiburon.com Rookie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
07slvrtibgt is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
6 speed shifts but clutch won't engage

flywheel was new 10k ago, i just replaced clutch, pressure plate and throw out bearing. When i got it all back together and went to drive it the clutch wouldn't engage. Even with the car running i can shift through all the gears without pushing in the clutch pedal. With the car off and in gear i can still push it like its in neutral.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 41 Old 04-13-2013, 09:02 AM
NewTiburon.com Post Master

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Lessaj is a name known to allLessaj is a name known to allLessaj is a name known to allLessaj is a name known to allLessaj is a name known to allLessaj is a name known to all
Re: 6 speed shifts but clutch won't engage

Even if you forgot to clip in the throw out bearing after putting it back together the input shaft of the transmission would still be spinning because the pressure plate is holding the clutch disk. So really the only possibility if it was fine before is that either there's no clutch disk (unlikely) or you didn't hook the shift linkage back up.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2012 Nov - COTM - Best Regional Tiburon (Canada)

2003 Hyundai Tiburon Rally Red Injen IS Cold Air Intake ;; Jun BL catback ;; DC headers ;; TWM STS ;; FL Headlights ;; 4300k HID Low//3000K HID Fogs ;; Shorty Antenna ;; 18x8 Tenzo DC-6 ;; Switchback Turn Signals ;; Lightweight Crank/Power Steering Pullies ;; Oil Catch Can ;; Seibon TS CF Hood ;; SMD Angel Eyes ;; HSD Coilovers
Canada OWNS NT
post #3 of 41 Old 04-13-2013, 09:25 AM Thread Starter
NewTiburon.com Rookie

(Thread Starter)

There's definitely a clutch disk. Lol. And the shift cables are definitely hooked up.

post #4 of 41 Old 04-13-2013, 09:32 AM
NewTiburon.com God

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
03_tibby_CT has a spectacular aura about03_tibby_CT has a spectacular aura about03_tibby_CT has a spectacular aura about

incorrectly installed clutch or broken transmission.

03 GT 6sp.... VHR clutch kit**Koni Yellows**Tein springs**Energy Suspension Swaybar Bushings**Moog Links
post #5 of 41 Old 04-13-2013, 09:41 AM

Lessaj is a name known to allLessaj is a name known to allLessaj is a name known to allLessaj is a name known to allLessaj is a name known to allLessaj is a name known to all

Honestly that's the only 2 things I can think of unless you somehow damaged the transmission on removal or reinstall.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2003 Hyundai Tiburon Rally Red Injen IS Cold Air Intake ;; Jun BL catback ;; DC headers ;; TWM STS ;; FL Headlights ;; 4300k HID Low//3000K HID Fogs ;; Shorty Antenna ;; 18x8 Tenzo DC-6 ;; Switchback Turn Signals ;; Lightweight Crank/Power Steering Pullies ;; Oil Catch Can ;; Seibon TS CF Hood ;; SMD Angel Eyes ;; HSD Coilovers
Canada OWNS NT
post #6 of 41 Old 04-13-2013, 09:50 AM Thread Starter
NewTiburon.com Rookie

(Thread Starter)

i'm pretty sure the clutch isn't in wrong. if you put it on the shaft one way there's a gap between the clutch and the flywheel. I figured that was wrong so i flipped it around and it sat nicely up against it. Before the tranny went in we pulled the case apart to check everything and it all seemed practically brand new
post #7 of 41 Old 04-13-2013, 10:08 AM

Oh, well there's your problem. You probably didn't reinstall the shift rods correctly, hence why it's not going into any gears.

Canada OWNS NT
post #8 of 41 Old 04-13-2013, 10:36 AM Thread Starter
NewTiburon.com Rookie

(Thread Starter)

shift rods? it'll go into gear. i can sit there and shift it all day. you can hear it click into each gear. i can do it with the car running or not without the pedal pushed in. for whatever reason the clutch isn't engaging. and i can't think of why if it was put in correctly
post #9 of 41 Old 04-13-2013, 10:38 AM

So if you try to go into gear when the car is running what happens? Cause if the input shaft is spinning, it will grind. If it's not spinning, then it won't, but there's no connection from the engine to the transmission in that case.

Can you post any pictures of the install?

Canada OWNS NT
post #10 of 41 Old 04-13-2013, 11:17 AM Thread Starter
NewTiburon.com Rookie

(Thread Starter)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lessaj View Post
So if you try to go into gear when the car is running what happens? Cause if the input shaft is spinning, it will grind. If it's not spinning, then it won't, but there's no connection from the engine to the transmission in that case.

Can you post any pictures of the install?
i can put the car in gear while its running. but it just goes in smooth like the pedal is pushed in. but its not. i don't have any pics of the install. i figured it was pretty straight forward. lol
post #11 of 41 Old 04-13-2013, 11:24 AM

Ok so if it feels like it's going into gear, then it definitely is because if the rods weren't reinstalled correctly either it wouldn't let you go into gear or you'd have no feeling. So it seems to me like the pressure plate isn't clamping down on the clutch disk.

Just a though but how is the slave cylinder? Does it move when you push the clutch pedal?

Canada OWNS NT
post #12 of 41 Old 04-13-2013, 11:26 AM Thread Starter
NewTiburon.com Rookie

(Thread Starter)

it moves very little. definitely not as much as i think it should
post #13 of 41 Old 04-13-2013, 11:28 AM

Can you post a picture of it please? I think what happened is the rod was moved out of place so it's stuck in the engaged position and isn't retracting.

Canada OWNS NT
post #14 of 41 Old 04-13-2013, 11:43 AM Thread Starter
NewTiburon.com Rookie

(Thread Starter)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lessaj View Post
Can you post a picture of it please? I think what happened is the rod was moved out of place so it's stuck in the engaged position and isn't retracting.

thats the best i could get. there's too much crap in the way. it does appear to be stuck in the engaged position. but if it were actually engaged i wouldn't be able to shift without pushing in the pedal. right?
post #15 of 41 Old 04-13-2013, 11:47 AM

That's the arm but I meant the slave cylinder itself. You should be able to see it even with the stock intake, but I know you can see it easily with an SRI or CAI.

Canada OWNS NT
post #16 of 41 Old 04-13-2013, 12:01 PM Thread Starter
NewTiburon.com Rookie

(Thread Starter)

oh, its not even connected at the moment. the arm is just stuck like that. it literally moves 2mm if you move it with your hand. the slave moves in and out as it should......when not connected to that arm. that arm won't move much at all
post #17 of 41 Old 04-13-2013, 12:04 PM

Okay so normally yes, the arm SHOULD NOT move much by hand, but with the slave cylinder attached it should when pushing the clutch pedal. So you're saying that even with the slave cylinder attached that it still doesn't move much?

Canada OWNS NT

Last edited by Lessaj; 04-13-2013 at 12:07 PM.
post #18 of 41 Old 04-13-2013, 01:13 PM Thread Starter
NewTiburon.com Rookie

(Thread Starter)

Correct. It moves about as much as it does by hand
post #19 of 41 Old 04-13-2013, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07slvrtibgt View Post
Correct. It moves about as much as it does by hand
Okay, I can't really think of a reason why the clutch would remain disengaged since it's engaged all the time except when you activate the slave cylinder...

What clutch is it?

Canada OWNS NT
post #20 of 41 Old 04-13-2013, 01:40 PM Thread Starter
NewTiburon.com Rookie

(Thread Starter)

It's a LuK OEM replacement clutch.
post #21 of 41 Old 04-13-2013, 01:53 PM

It should have had a flatter side and a side where the center hub sticks out. Where the hub sticks out is the flywheel side. Is that how you installed it? It's about the only thing I can think of.

Canada OWNS NT
post #22 of 41 Old 04-13-2013, 02:11 PM Thread Starter
NewTiburon.com Rookie

(Thread Starter)

Honestly I don't remember how that hub was. I do know that putting it on one way there was a gap between the flywheel and clutch disc. So I flipped it around so the disc was flat on the flywheel
post #23 of 41 Old 04-13-2013, 02:21 PM

That sounds right to me. I just can't think of how the pressure plate would be stuck not applying pressure to the disk. To pull it back apart and inspect it is a lot of work, and then you have to fight to get the TOB back out of the pressure plate.

Canada OWNS NT
post #24 of 41 Old 04-13-2013, 02:24 PM Thread Starter
NewTiburon.com Rookie

(Thread Starter)

Yea. Looks like that's my only option though
post #25 of 41 Old 04-13-2013, 02:27 PM

Seems like it. I'll do my best to help you.

Canada OWNS NT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the New Tiburon Forum : Hyundai Tiburon Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in