2003 GT V6 6MT - Premature clutch wear? - New Tiburon Forum : Hyundai Tiburon Forums

User Tag List

1Likes
  • 1 Post By dmdicks

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old 01-04-2019, 05:03 AM Thread Starter
NewTiburon.com Rookie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
fuxxy is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
Question 2003 GT V6 6MT - Premature clutch wear?

2003 Tiburon GT
2.7L V6
6-Speed Manual

about 4 years ago, I installed a Fidanza lightweight single-mass flywheel, and a ClutchMasters FX300 clutch. Replaced flywheel, Friction plate, throw-out bearing, and removed the clutch delay valve.

This car is my wife's daily driver. She doesn't do launches, and I know for a fact she doesnt ride the clutch. I drive the car much harder than she does, but I might drive it once a month.

The clutch engagement position feels like it's moved 'higher' than it used to be. Also, when in a higher gear, give the car some throttle and the rpms jump. This clutch is toast.

Should this clutch have worn out in the 4 years its been installed? It seems like it should have lasted longer.

I'm also considering the fact this was the FX300 clutch. Maybe the friction material is softer, and trades out longevity for performance?

All things considered, the clutch needs to be replaced again.

Would you guys consider replacing just the friction plate? I can possibly get the FX100 friction plate much, much cheaper than the entire clutch.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 01-04-2019, 06:06 AM
NewTiburon.com Post Master

Mentioned: 67 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 997 Post(s)
dmdicks is a splendid one to beholddmdicks is a splendid one to beholddmdicks is a splendid one to beholddmdicks is a splendid one to beholddmdicks is a splendid one to beholddmdicks is a splendid one to beholddmdicks is a splendid one to behold
Did you follow Clutchmasters break in procedures? Why did you go with such a set up for a daily driver? Any mods done to the engine?
When was the last time the clutch system was bled? I recommend once a year on a DD. Also it could be a failing slave cylinder. Quite common on these cars.

Huffin E85 and lovin every minute of it!!

Hit me up on gmail chat
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by dmdicks; 01-04-2019 at 10:16 AM.
post #3 of 11 Old 01-04-2019, 08:06 AM
Still the same me...

Mentioned: 250 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2211 Post(s)
Charlie-III has much to be proud ofCharlie-III has much to be proud ofCharlie-III has much to be proud ofCharlie-III has much to be proud ofCharlie-III has much to be proud ofCharlie-III has much to be proud ofCharlie-III has much to be proud ofCharlie-III has much to be proud ofCharlie-III has much to be proud ofCharlie-III has much to be proud ofCharlie-III has much to be proud of
Re: 2003 GT V6 6MT - Premature clutch wear?

How many miles and what type of driving?
Time means nothing to a clutch.

How much freeplay in the clutch pedal? Possible it needs a fluid change or adjustment at the master cylinder.

I will guess dmdicks meant clutch, not brakes.....

Wifes car: 2004 Tib GT, 2.7L, 5MT, 193K miles, medium blue, basically stock.
My car: 1998 Legacy GT wagon, 2.5L, 5MT, 176K miles, "Quicksilver", not stock and not slow...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"life is lived, one corner at a time".

Best NT.com '13 New-Comer, NT.com '13 Technical Advise & Info (runner-up), NT.com '13 Non-Tib (3rd) .

post #4 of 11 Old 01-04-2019, 10:16 AM

dmdicks is a splendid one to beholddmdicks is a splendid one to beholddmdicks is a splendid one to beholddmdicks is a splendid one to beholddmdicks is a splendid one to beholddmdicks is a splendid one to beholddmdicks is a splendid one to behold

lol thanks Charlie, post edited. Was way too early in the morning.
Charlie-III likes this.

Hit me up on gmail chat
post #5 of 11 Old 01-04-2019, 10:59 AM
Still the same me...

Mentioned: 250 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2211 Post(s)
Charlie-III has much to be proud ofCharlie-III has much to be proud ofCharlie-III has much to be proud ofCharlie-III has much to be proud ofCharlie-III has much to be proud ofCharlie-III has much to be proud ofCharlie-III has much to be proud ofCharlie-III has much to be proud ofCharlie-III has much to be proud ofCharlie-III has much to be proud ofCharlie-III has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmdicks View Post
lol thanks Charlie, post edited. Was way too early in the morning.
NP.....
Yep, likely 4AM for you?

Not picking, just guessing.....

Wifes car: 2004 Tib GT, 2.7L, 5MT, 193K miles, medium blue, basically stock.
My car: 1998 Legacy GT wagon, 2.5L, 5MT, 176K miles, "Quicksilver", not stock and not slow...

"life is lived, one corner at a time".

Best NT.com '13 New-Comer, NT.com '13 Technical Advise & Info (runner-up), NT.com '13 Non-Tib (3rd) .
post #6 of 11 Old 01-04-2019, 12:28 PM Thread Starter
NewTiburon.com Rookie

(Thread Starter)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmdicks View Post
Did you follow Clutchmasters break in procedures?
Why did you go with such a set up for a daily driver?
Any mods done to the engine?
When was the last time the clutch system was bled?
The Clutchmasters break-in procedures simply specify no hard starts or full throttle launches for the first 500 miles. I can verify this was followed to the letter. My wife also no longer downshifts when braking, since I beat it in her head when we got the car that I'd rather replace brakes than clutch.

I intended on putting an NGM S/C on this car. The project was put on the back burner and never began.

No engine mods. Stock airbox, stock injectors, stock exhaust. (Unless you count the FL/2 rear conversion including mufflers)

That's the tough one. I have NOT performed a yearly bleed, since the clutch pedal has always been firm. Never spongy or soft. Until now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie-III View Post
How many miles and what type of driving?
Time means nothing to a clutch.
How much freeplay in the clutch pedal? Possible it needs a fluid change or adjustment at the master cylinder.
Let's see. We live in a suburb. This car has seen daily (30 mi round trip) trips to the college campus, grocery store, and being a taxi to kids. Where I live you have to get on a freeway to get pretty much anywhere. I was hoping I'd be able to pull up mileage history on AAA, but I can't find it. The wife also threw away my log book (ugh.) I can only estimate about 40k miles.

"True" freeplay (Foot off the pedal to slight resistance felt) is about 1/2 inch. There's also a noticeable "pop" feel (like something was stuck) after that point. Subsequent presses of the clutch pedal still has the same pop, but less pronounced.

"pop" position to resistance felt is about another inch. So 1 to 1-1/2 inch total.

I definitely have to lift my foot higher to engage the clutch and start moving than I used to.
post #7 of 11 Old 01-29-2019, 08:53 PM Thread Starter
NewTiburon.com Rookie

(Thread Starter)

So, I ordered an FX100 clutch from Clutchmasters, along with a new friction disc for my fidanza flywheel.

Upon inspection after getting the old clutch out, I noticed that the graphite? bushing in the throw out bearing broke.

The clutch disc was not damaged - although it was worn, it wasnt worn to the point rivets were exposed. I feel like had the TOB bushing not disintegrated, the clutch would still be usable.

This MIGHT explain why the pedal feels different, and the clutch engagement points felt "higher". It could also be a cause for my 2-3 gear grind, although a clutch that's not fully disengaging SHOULD be felt in all gear changes, IMO.

The TOB was a Valeo, same as the one included with my new clutch.

Any suggestions what I should do to make sure this wont happen again?
post #8 of 11 Old 01-30-2019, 12:44 PM

Was the throw out bearing replaced when you put the original CM clutch set up in? Reason I ask is because on my brand new CM FX350 it came with an off brand TOB. Typically the Valeo TOB is the good stuff so unless you got a defective one or it was reused it shouldn't have broke apart like that. It sounds like you caught it before it completely failed so good job on that!

Hit me up on gmail chat
post #9 of 11 Old 02-05-2019, 11:07 PM Thread Starter
NewTiburon.com Rookie

(Thread Starter)

I did replace the throwout bearing when I did the original clutch. That's what i've been reading - that Valeo is the OEM manufacturer for Hyundai TOB's.

It wasnt so much that I "caught" it - the clutch just started slipping to the point I was worried it would detonate inside the bellhousing.
post #10 of 11 Old 04-16-2019, 01:45 AM
NewTiburon.com God

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
GT Racer will become famous soon enough
So I am having this VERY similar issue with my 04 tiburon. Difference is, I have an ARK flywheel and FX250 Clutch and used the TOB it came with. 30k miles later...Clutch JUST started slipping in high gears. Afraid it’s down hill from here. So you ultimately found that it was the TOB that failed?? I am at a loss for why this is happening to me as well

post #11 of 11 Old 04-16-2019, 10:31 AM

See my reply to your other thread GT Racer.

Hit me up on gmail chat
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the New Tiburon Forum : Hyundai Tiburon Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in