NewTiburon.com Rookie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Tibbytabby is an unknown quantity at this point
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Bruce the quick tib

I know I already posted about this asking questions, but I've started actually getting the parts together to do this here thing. Soooooo this is my thread for the build. I have a few exciting things coming in the mail! My fidanza v2 clutch and aluminum flywheel have arrived and I am currently in the process of installing them. I have a procar bucket seat and bracket coming in within the next month or so also. The current mods to the car are really not that impressive, consisting of just an injen intake, megan racing coilovers, and a sharkracing shortshifter. I love the car as is, but speed is an addiction so I started looking at boost. I got a small turbocharger from a mazda mx-6 gt. I believe the exact model is v-100, but don't quote me on that. After A TON of researching and browsing, I decided on the ECUmaster EMU classic stand-alone engine management system. It has all of the needed inputs built into it already including a 4-BAR map sensor and support for 2 knock sensors. I wanted to just do a piggyback ecu, but unfortunately smog laws in california will prevent any and all custom ecu tuning even if you set it back to stock for smog. thanks for that cali. so now I have to do a standalone. I'm still looking into the possibility of a Mx-6 v6 turbo manifold modified to fit the 2.7, but that's up in the air and I might just end up fabricating my own manifold. The ecu has preset settings for bosche wideband o2 sensors, so I'm gonna use those for sure. I'm thinking I might also end up with a different turbo so I can use an external wastegate. I'm not sure if I can make the internal wastegate on the current candidate turbo work. Hopefully by this friday, my baby will be back on the road with its new clutch and flywheel. I've been missing him badly
Anyway, thats the current update. I know I haven't covered all my bases for a full turbo build, but I'll cross those bridges when I come to them further down the line.
ALSO IF ANYONE HAS BASEMAPS I COULD REFERENCE THAT WOULD BE FANTASTIC!!! That's the only piece of this build that really scares me. I don't know what any of the stock fuel trims are and it all seems to be unreadable from the stock ecu (I don't have a tool to read hexidecimal.) Any help on that front would be nice. Thanks!

Last edited by Tibbytabby; 09-24-2018 at 07:15 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 43 Old 09-25-2018, 06:47 PM
NewTiburon.com Post Master

Mentioned: 67 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 995 Post(s)
dmdicks is a splendid one to beholddmdicks is a splendid one to beholddmdicks is a splendid one to beholddmdicks is a splendid one to beholddmdicks is a splendid one to beholddmdicks is a splendid one to beholddmdicks is a splendid one to behold
Um you do know you wont pass smog test with a standalone right? Any performance upgrade must have a CARB EO number in order to pass and there is no standalone that does. Further you cannot remove any cat converter so that means headers or turbo manifolds are out. AFAIK the ONLY CARB approved forced induction was the Alpine Developments Supercharger. Good luck finding one of those with the EO sticker.

Huffin E85 and lovin every minute of it!!

Hit me up on gmail chat
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 43 Old 09-25-2018, 08:10 PM
NewTiburon.com Rookie

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
turbovenom is an unknown quantity at this point
Garage
Emissions 🤣

post #4 of 43 Old 09-26-2018, 02:07 AM Thread Starter
NewTiburon.com Rookie

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Re: Bruce the quick tib

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmdicks View Post
Um you do know you wont pass smog test with a standalone right? Any performance upgrade must have a CARB EO number in order to pass and there is no standalone that does. Further you cannot remove any cat converter so that means headers or turbo manifolds are out. AFAIK the ONLY CARB approved forced induction was the Alpine Developments Supercharger. Good luck finding one of those with the EO sticker.
you make it sound like I'm trying to pass smog...I've basically given up on daily driving the thing. With the amount of time and effort and $$ I'm putting into this, I'm taking it to the track and running it in asphalt rallies. And aside from that, I could always just plug all the old stuff back in and bolt up the stock manifold, smog it, then revert back to the turbo. that's what I've always done with my WRX. Smog with the stock setup, then throw the larger turbo, catless exhaust, and standalone back in it.
post #5 of 43 Old 09-26-2018, 02:19 AM Thread Starter
NewTiburon.com Rookie

Garage
(Thread Starter)

but anyway...on to the current events of the build. I'm ditching the stock dual mass flywheel and switching to a fidanza singlemass aluminum flywheel and fidanza six puck clutch. I've been in the process of getting the transmission out and just got the flywheel in tonight. Thursday night I'll be continuing on the install. I'm hoping to have it all back together by my birthday on the 5th of october.

If I can't make it fast, I don't want it
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 43 Old 09-26-2018, 02:23 AM Thread Starter
NewTiburon.com Rookie

Garage
(Thread Starter)

hopefully this pictures uploads alright. I got a picture of the flywheel after installation tonight. It looks right at home on the back of the motor!
Attached Images

post #7 of 43 Old 09-26-2018, 06:25 AM

dmdicks is a splendid one to beholddmdicks is a splendid one to beholddmdicks is a splendid one to beholddmdicks is a splendid one to beholddmdicks is a splendid one to beholddmdicks is a splendid one to beholddmdicks is a splendid one to behold
So which is it? You care or you don't? You just said "unfortunately smog laws in california will prevent any and all custom ecu tuning even if you set it back to stock for smog. thanks for that cali. so now I have to do a standalone"

Hit me up on gmail chat
post #8 of 43 Old 09-26-2018, 10:31 AM Thread Starter
NewTiburon.com Rookie

Garage
(Thread Starter)

Quote:
So which is it? You care or you don't? You just said "unfortunately smog laws in california will prevent any and all custom ecu tuning even if you set it back to stock for smog. thanks for that cali. so now I have to do a standalone"
Well here's the thing. I do want to be able to drive my car on the street, so I'm keeping all of the smog legal parts so I can put them on and pass smog every two years. BUT, between smogs it's not that hard with the right facilities to just swap manifolds, put the standalone in with a plug n' play, put the larger injectors in, etc. in just a few hours and go back to my turbo setup. I haven't been super clear about that, you're right. So that's where I'm trying to go with all this. I love my car too much not to drive it, but I'm gonna race that sucker without a doubt.

post #9 of 43 Old 09-26-2018, 12:10 PM
NewTiburon.com Rookie

Garage
I just took a clutch masters 4 puck clutch out of my girls car as it was kinda aggressive for her they say they aren’t streetable but I drove it a bit like that without issues I would def say it’s not the best for a dd and it is super grabby like engaged or it isn’t very little in between, but let me know if you want it
post #10 of 43 Old 09-26-2018, 02:53 PM Thread Starter
NewTiburon.com Rookie

Garage
(Thread Starter)

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbovenom View Post
I just took a clutch masters 4 puck clutch out of my girls car as it was kinda aggressive for her they say they arenít streetable but I drove it a bit like that without issues I would def say itís not the best for a dd and it is super grabby like engaged or it isnít very little in between, but let me know if you want it
I'm gonna see how I like the 6-puck. I've driven on a 6-puck fidanza before and I loved it. very aggressive and good for the track, but not completely killer on the leg in traffic. Did you have the lightweight flywheel combo too? or just the clutch?

post #11 of 43 Old 09-26-2018, 03:08 PM
NewTiburon.com Rookie

Garage
Clutch feel is the same, clutch masters uses the same pressure plate for all their clutches at least for theese cars anyways so pedal effort doesnt change just the friction material and disk are different. I have a fidanza flywheel so i bought a new insert for my car so i do have one but not for sale.
post #12 of 43 Old 09-26-2018, 05:29 PM

You do know that if the police catch you on the streets with your illegal mods they can impound your car right?
budder6 and santura like this.

Hit me up on gmail chat
post #13 of 43 Old 09-26-2018, 08:55 PM
NewTiburon.com Rookie

Garage
I dont know the laws everywhere but im in Arizona and if they exist here they def dont enforce,ever. We also dont have emissions i think Phoenix and maybe tucson are the only ones that do, most of the state doesnt require it but my buddies down there with high hp cars sometimes register to a relatives house adress in a different city to avoid testing but theres a decent car scene and me amongst alot of freinds have never been questioned or schooled about our poor vehicle modifications so i guess its not as well known or a huge concern to most here?
My cobra is a 76mm straight 4 inch down pipe theres no way a cop just didnt know it wasnt stock. Im sure i could drive a prius with rims in california and get a ticket for incorrect hub caps causing polution and in result killing of hundreds of rare animals. Your in colorado right? Are they that bad there they check everything?
post #14 of 43 Old 09-26-2018, 11:24 PM Thread Starter
NewTiburon.com Rookie

Garage
(Thread Starter)

Quote:
You do know that if the police catch you on the streets with your illegal mods they can impound your car right?
look man. I'm not exactly looking for approval. The only thing I'm trying to do is share something pretty cool that I'm doing to a pretty cool car and get advice for the things that I don't have sufficient knowledge of. Honestly, it really sucks that I've gotten more grief about it on the forum devoted to the car than I have from anywhere else. In fact this is the only place where I've been discouraged from it. I just want to share my car and the joy that it brings me with you, and the rest of the forum. So please, if you're gonna criticize the build, can we at least make it constructive criticism or suggestions to make the build better or more fun? It doesn't seem right to me that a performance build is getting discouraged.

EDIT: I'm not saying that I haven't gotten anything constructive from posting my build to this forum. I've gotten plenty of good info for part sourcing and ideas for furthering the build. So thank you for that.

post #15 of 43 Old 09-27-2018, 07:15 AM

No offense but you don't seem to have really done your homework and I get frustrated with others pipe dream builds that never materialize.
You claim to want to be able to return your car to stock so you can drive on the street and pass emissions? Do you know what will be involved in that? For example the standalone you picked will have to be hard wired in which means you won't be able to put the stock ECU back in. A much better option would be a Haltech Elite 2000 with a plug n play boomslang harness.
budder6 and santura like this.

Hit me up on gmail chat
post #16 of 43 Old 09-27-2018, 10:51 AM Thread Starter
NewTiburon.com Rookie

Garage
(Thread Starter)

Quote:
No offense but you don't seem to have really done your homework and I get frustrated with others pipe dream builds that never materialize.
You claim to want to be able to return your car to stock so you can drive on the street and pass emissions? Do you know what will be involved in that? For example the standalone you picked will have to be hard wired in which means you won't be able to put the stock ECU back in. A much better option would be a Haltech Elite 2000 with a plug n play boomslang harness.
Theres a plug and play for the haltech platinum sport 2000. I've been playing with the tuning programs for both and learning how to use them. A buddy of mine uses the sport 2000 in RB25 240sx and has let me borrow it so I can play with the tuning and see it's features. If he can run that on his turbo rb25, then it should work fine for a 2.7 delta v6. A plug and play harness for it plus the ecu is about $800. It's cheaper than the elite series, and seems to be a little easier to tune. If that doesn't work out, then I will ordered a custom reflashed stock ecu from seoulful racing to match my build for $700. The nice thing is that I have an ECU to borrow and use and test things out on before I throw $800 at it. So I am doing my homework. In fact the only reason I haven't jumped into it yet is because I know I haven't done enough homework. But believe me, I'm working at it really hard. I've been talking directly with Sharkracing, Procar, ECU masters, and Haltech getting them on board with the build and they have been a TON of help in getting me pointed in the right direction. I work in a speed shop. I've got the facilities to do it. I know the right people to get it done. I don't see why I can't do it or what would stop me. It's just a matter of time and money and motivation.

post #17 of 43 Old 09-27-2018, 06:16 PM

Where exactly did you find a plug and play harness?

Hit me up on gmail chat
post #18 of 43 Old 10-03-2018, 02:57 AM Thread Starter
NewTiburon.com Rookie

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Where exactly did you find a plug and play harness?
Boomslang makes one.

post #19 of 43 Old 10-03-2018, 03:03 AM Thread Starter
NewTiburon.com Rookie

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Update! I've got a transmission back in the car! Hooray! I had the wrong pressure plate sent to me twice. I finally got the right one and got it all put together with the six puck. Tomorrow the subframe will be getting reinstalled and the suspension put back together. I ordered a procar bucket seat for the driver side and I'm working on removing the rear seats. I have a set of firehawk Indy 500 tires to put on this Thursday also. Hopefully by then I'll be able to drive brucey home again, but we'll see how things go.
Attached Images

budder6 likes this.

post #20 of 43 Old 10-03-2018, 05:38 AM

Boomslang only makes a harness for the Elite series which will not work.

Hit me up on gmail chat
post #21 of 43 Old 10-03-2018, 09:39 PM Thread Starter
NewTiburon.com Rookie

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Boomslang only makes a harness for the Elite series which will not work.
They do make one, but only by custom order. I had to email and ask if they could make one. They said they would do it.

post #22 of 43 Old 10-03-2018, 09:45 PM Thread Starter
NewTiburon.com Rookie

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Update!
Got the car 80% back together today. Suspension on the driver side just needs to be torqued down to spec. Passenger side will be put together tomorrow morning. Somehow I managed to lose the subframe mounting bolt for the front passenger side. So I need to go pick one of those up tomorrow so I can fully finish the car. All thats left to do to jave it driving again is put some gear oil in the tranny, bolt the suspension back together, swap the new tires on, align it, and test drive.
Tiburonasaurus likes this.

post #23 of 43 Old 10-08-2018, 07:46 PM Thread Starter
NewTiburon.com Rookie

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Well folks, we've got a roadblock. Got the car all put back together and the clutch was sticking. So I got it all back apart and called fidanza. They sent me the wrong clutch style. They sent the one for that super wonky rare flywheel that was only used in the very first tiburons of 2003. So now I have to wait for a new clutch to come in. Its gonna be a spec stage 1 or a clutchmasters fx100. Until then I'm grounded. I met someone else with a boosted tiburon! Theyre using an AEM f/ic 6 to control their turbo and showed me a pipe routing that works, so I'm gonna use his template. Also I can get a plug and play harness for the fic 6. So while my car is waiting for parts, I'm gonna mount new tires, and start building the new y pipe and downpipe. That's the current update for ya.
budder6 likes this.

post #24 of 43 Old 10-09-2018, 01:51 AM
NewTiburon.com Novice

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
EpicRaptorMan is an unknown quantity at this point
A bit off topic...but why'd you name it Bruce? 😛

Game enthusiast too? Then come check out Neoseeker!

You'll see me there too.
post #25 of 43 Old 10-16-2018, 06:09 PM Thread Starter
NewTiburon.com Rookie

Garage
(Thread Starter)

Quote:
Originally Posted by EpicRaptorMan View Post
A bit off topic...but why'd you name it Bruce? 😛
good question. Bruce is the name of the australian shark from finding nemo. The car was previously named Lenny/sebastien which is the dorky shark from shark tales.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
boost, build thread, turbo

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the New Tiburon Forum : Hyundai Tiburon Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in