Hours of searching. no answers. Help please. - New Tiburon Forum : Hyundai Tiburon Forums

User Tag List

3Likes
  • 3 Post By gigem01

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 06-06-2014, 02:25 PM Thread Starter
NewTiburon.com Rookie

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
McCathern is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
Hours of searching. no answers. Help please.

So I just replaced the clutch in my car, completely removed the engine to do this and everything seems to be fine... other then an engine light on, and my e-brake light will not go out. I'm not too concerned about the engine light right now (P0444- purge control valve open circuit) but the e-brake light is really irritating me..

I own a 2007 Tiburon GT 6spd, I didn't touch anything in the braking system other then remove the master cylinder fluid level sensor, I was having my driver side rear caliper hanging up prior to the clutch install so this could have been a problem before the clutch swap. My question is, what could fail to cause this light to come on? What are the chances of the connector to fail for the master cylinder, the wiring looks undisturbed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 06-06-2014, 02:28 PM Thread Starter
NewTiburon.com Rookie

(Thread Starter)
Re: Hours of searching. no answers. Help please.

I removed my center console and manually pressed the switch and the light still did not go off. Also tried removed the ground wire and it stayed on continuously.

I removed the connector at the brake master cylinder and checked the pins with my meter and it came up 1.4volts with the key in the acc position, and 1.8v in the run position.

PS, my brake fluid is topped up as well.

Last edited by McCathern; 06-06-2014 at 03:21 PM.
post #3 of 9 Old 06-07-2014, 11:48 AM Thread Starter
NewTiburon.com Rookie

(Thread Starter)

80 views, no ideas... I'd love it if Charlie or someone would chime in and help out. Should I be getting a lot more voltage then that to the plug for the brake master cylinder??

post #4 of 9 Old 06-07-2014, 08:01 PM
NewTiburon.com God

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 681 Post(s)
h8isgr8 is a glorious beacon of lighth8isgr8 is a glorious beacon of lighth8isgr8 is a glorious beacon of lighth8isgr8 is a glorious beacon of lighth8isgr8 is a glorious beacon of lighth8isgr8 is a glorious beacon of light

I don't know man, I've tried looking over the electrical troubleshooting manual and it looks like only the parking switch and fluid level switch can make that light come on. I think the ABS module can make it light up too, but it would also make the ABS light come on at the same time.

I'm not near my multi-meter right now or I would check the voltage for you. I think you're measuring the voltage drop of the light though. With 12V and assuming it's a 3W bulb, ~1.4V sounds about right.

With the fluid switch disconnected, that only leaves the parking switch or ABS unit as the cause.

Last edited by h8isgr8; 06-07-2014 at 08:14 PM.
post #5 of 9 Old 06-08-2014, 12:43 AM
Still the same me...

Mentioned: 250 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2224 Post(s)
Charlie-III has much to be proud ofCharlie-III has much to be proud ofCharlie-III has much to be proud ofCharlie-III has much to be proud ofCharlie-III has much to be proud ofCharlie-III has much to be proud ofCharlie-III has much to be proud ofCharlie-III has much to be proud ofCharlie-III has much to be proud ofCharlie-III has much to be proud ofCharlie-III has much to be proud of

Friday was getting a bunch of stuff done, Saturday was my GTG.... long day.

As @h8isgr8 mentioned, I believe there are only 2 real things that trip the light.

When testing the E-brake switch, I would almost just unplug it and do a continuity check through it and make sure you see it go "open" and "closed".

I will look at the circuits later, I'm sorta beat right now.

Wifes car: 2004 Tib GT, 2.7L, 5MT, 193K miles, medium blue, basically stock.
My car: 1998 Legacy GT wagon, 2.5L, 5MT, 176K miles, "Quicksilver", not stock and not slow...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"life is lived, one corner at a time".
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Best NT.com '13 New-Comer, NT.com '13 Technical Advise & Info (runner-up), NT.com '13 Non-Tib (3rd) .
post #6 of 9 Old 06-08-2014, 03:59 AM
NewTiburon.com Post Master

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
dlanes is a name known to alldlanes is a name known to alldlanes is a name known to alldlanes is a name known to alldlanes is a name known to alldlanes is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by McCathern View Post
So I just replaced the clutch in my car, completely removed the engine to do this and everything seems to be fine... other then an engine light on, and my e-brake light will not go out. I'm not too concerned about the engine light right now (P0444- purge control valve open circuit) but the e-brake light is really irritating me..

I own a 2007 Tiburon GT 6spd, I didn't touch anything in the braking system other then remove the master cylinder fluid level sensor, I was having my driver side rear caliper hanging up prior to the clutch install so this could have been a problem before the clutch swap. My question is, what could fail to cause this light to come on? What are the chances of the connector to fail for the master cylinder, the wiring looks undisturbed.
I'm guessing your brake light is on because you either damaged the fluid sensor when removing it or installed it incorrectly or something silly like low brake fluid. The purge control valve cel is likely because you forgot to plug in the purge solenoid (2 prong plug), first time I swapped motors I forgot this two just follow the hose from the tb. I don't think the plugs are close enough, but a theory could be you got the brake sensor plugged in the evap and vice versa (can't remember if they are the same plug or not as I have never needed to mess with the brake master cylinder.)

03 Tiburon GT 6 speed Assassin supercharged, NGM race shortblock, Stage 2 heads, NGM stage 1 cams, NGM 90mm throttle body, Hydra 2.6 EMS, 460cc inejectors, Bosch 190lph fuel pump, SSA headers/cat-back, 3.5" SRI, NGM twin disc clutch, Phantom grip LSD conversion, KJB delrin cable bushings, Mishimoto radiator, Ark 22mm rear sway bar, Vogtland springs, Koni adjustable shocks, MOOG endlinks & tie-rods, XG350 brake conversion.
post #7 of 9 Old 05-08-2019, 11:05 PM
NewTiburon.com Newbie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
gigem01 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by McCathern View Post

I'm registering just to share. I know this may be 5 years too late, but your thread helped me figure out a very similar problem. 2000 Tiburon where a shop just changed the clutch. When my buddy picked up his car, the brake light was on and they said his e-brake switch was bad. When he got home, he noticed the CEL too. I scanned it with my code reader and got the P0444 code.

It ended up being that the connectors for the brake fluid sensor and the purge solenoid accidentally got swapped during reassembly. They are both the same shape connector in a very close proximity to each other.

Details/theory: The brake fluid sensor switch and the e-brake switch are both on the same circuit to turn the brake light on. Both switches would connect to a ground when activated to turn on the brake light. The purge valve connector supplies 12V on one pin and ground from the PCM on the other pin to activate the valve. When the two connectors get swapped, I think the brake light circuit gets the ground it wants from the intended purge valve connector PCM signal (ground). I'm not exactly sure what happens with the purge valve, but the PCM detects it is either open or the voltage isn't what it should be and reports the P0444.

I hope this helps someone else, and I hope you eventually figured yours out as well.
post #8 of 9 Old 05-11-2019, 11:54 AM
NewTiburon.com Expert

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
keepinitoldskool
Garage

Brake level sensor and purge swapped sounds really promising

"All this worldly wisdom was once the unamiable heresy of some wise man." - Henry David Thoreau
post #9 of 9 Old 05-13-2019, 07:33 AM
NewTiburon.com Newbie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
BLU3Fi5H is an unknown quantity at this point

I had my brake light coming on at random, but seemingly most frequent under heavier acceleration.
I was actually changing my spoiler recently and my wife pointed out my spoiler lights weren't coming on when I hit the brakes. I checked it myself and realized I had no brake lights at all!
Sure enough, it was my brake switch.
Cruise control and everything worked fine, so it must have just been an intermittent problem that suddenly became permanent.
I would try a new switch and see how it does.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the New Tiburon Forum : Hyundai Tiburon Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in