post #1 of 10 Old 04-16-2015, 12:11 PM Thread Starter
NewTiburon.com Novice

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Spacemarine225 is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
Cam gear/ cam sprokets

ive read serveral posts on our cam gears and sprokets(sorry if spelled wrong). The information I'm trying to find is degreeing the cams correctly and doing the seperation by 1 on each cam, which is supposly good for NA setups. Anyone have any tips on finding usable cam sprokets?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 04-16-2015, 12:19 PM
NewTiburon.com God

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 377 Post(s)
Jake89 will become famous soon enoughJake89 will become famous soon enough
Garage
Re: Cam gear/ cam sprokets

TBH I don't even know if there are any that are made for the Tib anymore. Used to NGM used to have some for sale. I believe Fidanza made some for a while as well. Aside from that I can't think of anyone else.

V8 swap and RWD conversion
post #3 of 10 Old 04-16-2015, 12:28 PM Thread Starter
NewTiburon.com Novice

(Thread Starter)
So it's not even worth getting cam gears? Sense you can't do anything with the sprokets?

post #4 of 10 Old 04-16-2015, 12:51 PM
NewTiburon.com God

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 323 Post(s)
M.Kyle is just really niceM.Kyle is just really niceM.Kyle is just really nice

Yeah basically, besides being lighter there's not going to be a lot of usefulness without sprockets as well.

I'm sure there's a sproket from other makes/models that we can use, just haven't found it yet. Everything I've seen seems to use a bigger sprocket than we do.
post #5 of 10 Old 04-16-2015, 12:55 PM
Still the same me...

Mentioned: 251 Post(s)
Quoted: 2240 Post(s)
Charlie-III has much to be proud ofCharlie-III has much to be proud ofCharlie-III has much to be proud ofCharlie-III has much to be proud ofCharlie-III has much to be proud ofCharlie-III has much to be proud ofCharlie-III has much to be proud ofCharlie-III has much to be proud ofCharlie-III has much to be proud ofCharlie-III has much to be proud ofCharlie-III has much to be proud of

Ideally, for a Tib (at least the V6) is 2 cam gears (that the timing belt runs on) and 2 cam sprockets (that connect a cam in the head to the other cam in the head).
Then, you could adjust cam timing on each cam by itself.

If you only get gears or sprockets, whatever cam timing change you do in a head will change BOTH cams in the head as they are connected by a chain.

In most Subaru engines, each cam has it's own gear, so it "can" be easier to change timing except that nobody really makes adjustable gears for most Subaru engines.

For the Tib, "maybe" the best bet would be to talk to a cam vendor and ask about getting a grind done with the timing a little different, but then it's not adjustable.

For most basically stock/slightly modified engines, cam timing/indexing doesn't gain much if the cam is correct.

Wifes car: 2004 Tib GT, 2.7L, 5MT, 193K miles, medium blue, basically stock.
My car: 1998 Legacy GT wagon, 2.5L, 5MT, 176K miles, "Quicksilver", not stock and not slow...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"life is lived, one corner at a time".
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Best NT.com '13 New-Comer, NT.com '13 Technical Advise & Info (runner-up), NT.com '13 Non-Tib (3rd) .
post #6 of 10 Old 04-16-2015, 03:55 PM Thread Starter
NewTiburon.com Novice

(Thread Starter)
With a adjustable cam gear doesn't that change the seperation of the loafs of the cams. So advancing the timing would open the intake valves longer in timing of the piston. Then using a dial indicator you can make the adjustments of the cams with the cam gear. Why would you need to change the sprokets when the cam gear itself retards or advances the timing?
post #7 of 10 Old 04-16-2015, 05:26 PM
NewTiburon.com God

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 323 Post(s)
M.Kyle is just really niceM.Kyle is just really niceM.Kyle is just really nice

As Charlie said, unless you have both the cam gear AND sprocket, you're advancing and regarding the whole cam system. You have to have both in order to adjust overlap. To change duration, you need new cams or a cam regrind.
Charlie-III likes this.
post #8 of 10 Old 04-17-2015, 10:52 AM Thread Starter
NewTiburon.com Novice

(Thread Starter)
So on one side one cam gear advances both intake and exhaust cam shafts. While what we want is intake advance and exhaust retard. But we can't do that in our cars because of the sprokets not being adjustable. What size of sproket would we need for that to work?
post #9 of 10 Old 04-17-2015, 05:06 PM
Still the same me...

Mentioned: 251 Post(s)
Quoted: 2240 Post(s)
Charlie-III has much to be proud ofCharlie-III has much to be proud ofCharlie-III has much to be proud ofCharlie-III has much to be proud ofCharlie-III has much to be proud ofCharlie-III has much to be proud ofCharlie-III has much to be proud ofCharlie-III has much to be proud ofCharlie-III has much to be proud ofCharlie-III has much to be proud ofCharlie-III has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spacemarine225 View Post
So on one side one cam gear advances both intake and exhaust cam shafts. While what we want is intake advance and exhaust retard. But we can't do that in our cars because of the sprokets not being adjustable. What size of sprocket would we need for that to work?
Correct, both cams have sprockets so a chain between them keeps the cam timing constant between those 2 cams.
Then, one of the cams ALSO has the timing belt gear/pulley which is what determines the cam timing to the crank (and thus, pistons).

Adjustable gears and/or sprockets can adjust cam timing relative to the crank/pistons, duration of valve movement is ONLY by the cam grind.

PS, I'm leaving out hybrid valve actuation such as electromechanical/pneumatic systems.

PPS, I have no clue on what sort of adjustable sprocket you would need. As I stated before, most "fairly stock" engines don't NEED to be able to adjust cam timing/indexing. The slight gain is not worth the price or time.

Wifes car: 2004 Tib GT, 2.7L, 5MT, 193K miles, medium blue, basically stock.
My car: 1998 Legacy GT wagon, 2.5L, 5MT, 176K miles, "Quicksilver", not stock and not slow...

"life is lived, one corner at a time".

Best NT.com '13 New-Comer, NT.com '13 Technical Advise & Info (runner-up), NT.com '13 Non-Tib (3rd) .
post #10 of 10 Old Today, 09:13 PM Thread Starter
NewTiburon.com Novice

(Thread Starter)

i never responded to this. i apolgoize. here i am years later looking at this forum with my tiburon XD

Check your corners!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the New Tiburon Forum : Hyundai Tiburon Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in