Transmission hard to shift after clutch replacement - New Tiburon Forum : Hyundai Tiburon Forums
 
User Tag List

 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Charlie-III
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 17 Old 10-14-2015, 02:17 PM Thread Starter
NewTiburon.com Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 29
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
GTBoost is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
Transmission hard to shift after clutch replacement

Hello good people of NT. I recently posted a thread about my clutch, and with your help i managed to fix it completely. thanks! anyways, i have a new problem im hoping someone can help fix.

The problem im having is that the shifting is incredibly hard, which may be due to not having a solid clutch pedal. im not quite sure what exactly the problem is here. i literally just purchased a brand new slave cylinder from napa, no joy. bled it properly yet nothing. the pedal is incredibly soft. i have to slam my basically through the firewall to shift it. when the engine is off, i can go through the gears like nothing. easy. but when the engine is on, i basically have to be an olympic athlete to shift the dam thing.

Im willing to bet its something fluid related, but i guess you guys might know more.

TLDR;

When the engine is off, i can shift through gears perfectly fine. when the engine is on, i can barely shift and the clutch pedal is very soft. i have to have my foot to the firewall to shift.

thanks for your input!
GTBoost is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 17 Old 10-14-2015, 04:40 PM
NewTiburon.com Novice
 
Flying__Fox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Miami, FL
Posts: 138
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Flying__Fox is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Transmission hard to shift after clutch replacement

Just a few questions:

What do you mean by "not having a solid clutch pedal"?

What transmission do you have? 5 or 6 speed?

Did you change the master cylinder also? (I ask this because using a 5-speed master cylinder on a 6-speed tranny can cause issues similar to what you're experiencing)

Is your master cylinder's length properly adjusted (you can adjust the length of the cylinder's travel by loosening the two nuts on the part of the cylinder that attaches to the pedal)?

Are any of the lines for the cylinders bent/kinked? Do you see any leaks?
Flying__Fox is offline  
post #3 of 17 Old 10-14-2015, 05:32 PM
NewTiburon.com God
 
M.Kyle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Layton, Utah USA
Posts: 3,142
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 322 Post(s)
M.Kyle is just really niceM.Kyle is just really niceM.Kyle is just really nice
Re: Transmission hard to shift after clutch replacement

Who installed the clutch? If you don't install the TOB on the fork FIRST, and snap it into the clutch cover after you've re-mated the bell housing to the engine, you can get the problem you're having.

If you try to shift into first, does the car want to inch forward? If so, that would be an indication that the clutch isn't fully disengaged. Either from what I said above about installing the throw out bearing correctly, or slave/ master cylinder.

Lastly, check the play of the clutch pedal in the foot well too.
M.Kyle is offline  
 
post #4 of 17 Old 10-14-2015, 06:40 PM Thread Starter
NewTiburon.com Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 29
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
GTBoost is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
Re: Transmission hard to shift after clutch replacement

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying__Fox View Post
Just a few questions:

What do you mean by "not having a solid clutch pedal"?

What transmission do you have? 5 or 6 speed?

Did you change the master cylinder also? (I ask this because using a 5-speed master cylinder on a 6-speed tranny can cause issues similar to what you're experiencing)

Is your master cylinder's length properly adjusted (you can adjust the length of the cylinder's travel by loosening the two nuts on the part of the cylinder that attaches to the pedal)?

Are any of the lines for the cylinders bent/kinked? Do you see any leaks?
i have to push my foot to the engine block to get the clutch to disengage enough so i can shift it. not normal.

i have a 5 spd manual.

i only changed the slave. bled it properly and nothing. doesnt fix it.

nope.

im not sure. i thought it was lube line, didnt realize i could tension it.
GTBoost is offline  
post #5 of 17 Old 10-14-2015, 06:44 PM Thread Starter
NewTiburon.com Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 29
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
GTBoost is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
Re: Transmission hard to shift after clutch replacement

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.Kyle View Post
Who installed the clutch? If you don't install the TOB on the fork FIRST, and snap it into the clutch cover after you've re-mated the bell housing to the engine, you can get the problem you're having.

If you try to shift into first, does the car want to inch forward? If so, that would be an indication that the clutch isn't fully disengaged. Either from what I said above about installing the throw out bearing correctly, or slave/ master cylinder.

Lastly, check the play of the clutch pedal in the foot well too.
i installed the clutch. it was snapped onto the pressure plate AFTER reinstalling the bellhousing.

yes, however, its hard as **** to get it into first since i have to smash my foot through the firewall to shift it. slave cylinder is brand new. just put a replacement on from napa 2 hours ago. rebled with power bleeder system. i didnt check the master cylinder, doesnt seem to be in bad shape so i didnt concern myself with it.

whats the proper play length? it is very loose so it may be an untensioned cable to the pedal. not sure.
GTBoost is offline  
post #6 of 17 Old 10-14-2015, 09:46 PM
NewTiburon.com God
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: bluffton sc
Posts: 1,118
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
03tibsc
Re: Transmission hard to shift after clutch replacement

was your fluid black in the master cylinder? the seals can deteriorate over time and allow fluid to pass when you depress the pedal giving you not a full stroke.
03tibsc is offline  
post #7 of 17 Old 10-14-2015, 09:47 PM Thread Starter
NewTiburon.com Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 29
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
GTBoost is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
Re: Transmission hard to shift after clutch replacement

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03tibsc View Post
was your fluid black in the master cylinder? the seals can deteriorate over time and allow fluid to pass when you depress the pedal giving you not a full stroke.
no. it was rebled with new dot 3 fluid.
GTBoost is offline  
post #8 of 17 Old 10-14-2015, 10:29 PM
NewTiburon.com Novice
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 104
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Bckflpgyg
Garage
Re: Transmission hard to shift after clutch replacement

Gravity bleeding is the only way to go. Your symptoms are very consistent with an air bubble in the system, and using a "power bleeder" could be where your trouble lies. just take an hour, open up the slave cylinders drain, keep adding brake fluid to the master so you don't run dry, and all while lightly tapping the hose that connects the two. I know you've sworn up and down that it has been properly bled however I'm not at all confident that a power bleeder is going to give you satisfactory results.

If the gravity bleed doesn't give you a stiff pedal, the only other method I would think to use is having a friend help you bleed it by pressing the clutch and loosening up the drain in little steps until you're 100% sure there's no possible way any air could be in the system.

I would have to say that its also fairly obvious that everything is put back together properly since you're able to move the TOB with your pedal.

Also (what has been stated before) if a proper bleeding sequence doesn't fix it, the next logical step would be to look at the master cylinder, clutch pedal adjustments, and possible wrong slave cylinder.
Bckflpgyg is offline  
post #9 of 17 Old 10-14-2015, 10:45 PM
Still the same me...
 
Charlie-III's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: USA, North NJ 07456
Posts: 8,564
Mentioned: 251 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Charlie-III has much to be proud ofCharlie-III has much to be proud ofCharlie-III has much to be proud ofCharlie-III has much to be proud ofCharlie-III has much to be proud ofCharlie-III has much to be proud ofCharlie-III has much to be proud ofCharlie-III has much to be proud ofCharlie-III has much to be proud ofCharlie-III has much to be proud ofCharlie-III has much to be proud of
Re: Transmission hard to shift after clutch replacement

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTBoost View Post
i installed the clutch. it was snapped onto the pressure plate AFTER reinstalling the bellhousing.

yes, however, its hard as **** to get it into first since i have to smash my foot through the firewall to shift it. slave cylinder is brand new. just put a replacement on from napa 2 hours ago. rebled with power bleeder system. i didn't check the master cylinder, doesn't seem to be in bad shape so i didn't concern myself with it.

whats the proper play length? it is very loose so it may be an untensioned cable to the pedal. not sure.
No cable in a automotive clutch/brake hydraulic system of any kind.
The shaft from the pedal arm to master cylinder has some adjustment in it, usual is ~1/2" (I don't remember the exact measurement for a Tib clutch though). You adjust by loosening the jam nut on the actuating rod and twisting one way or the other (lengthen or shorten, depends on what you need) to get the correct freeplay pedal travel dimension.
M.Kyle likes this.

Wifes car: 2004 Tib GT, 2.7L, 5MT, 193K miles, medium blue, basically stock.
My car: 1998 Legacy GT wagon, 2.5L, 5MT, 176K miles, "Quicksilver", not stock and not slow...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


"life is lived, one corner at a time".
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


Best NT.com '13 New-Comer, NT.com '13 Technical Advise & Info (runner-up), NT.com '13 Non-Tib (3rd) .
Charlie-III is offline  
post #10 of 17 Old 10-15-2015, 02:01 PM Thread Starter
NewTiburon.com Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 29
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
GTBoost is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
Re: Transmission hard to shift after clutch replacement

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bckflpgyg View Post
Gravity bleeding is the only way to go. Your symptoms are very consistent with an air bubble in the system, and using a "power bleeder" could be where your trouble lies. just take an hour, open up the slave cylinders drain, keep adding brake fluid to the master so you don't run dry, and all while lightly tapping the hose that connects the two. I know you've sworn up and down that it has been properly bled however I'm not at all confident that a power bleeder is going to give you satisfactory results.

If the gravity bleed doesn't give you a stiff pedal, the only other method I would think to use is having a friend help you bleed it by pressing the clutch and loosening up the drain in little steps until you're 100% sure there's no possible way any air could be in the system.

I would have to say that its also fairly obvious that everything is put back together properly since you're able to move the TOB with your pedal.

Also (what has been stated before) if a proper bleeding sequence doesn't fix it, the next logical step would be to look at the master cylinder, clutch pedal adjustments, and possible wrong slave cylinder.
i gravity bled it basically overnight. just took off the slave cylinder again and re primed it, the bled it again. im 100% certain its not fluid related, but just to be sure, i took a very long screwdriver and manually disengaged the clutch by bypassing all fluid, then tried shifting. nothing. i have bruises on my palm that prove how hard it is to shift the dam thing. im thinking somethings wrong with the pressure plate. its not helping me push on the clutch surface, thus why its so dam hard to get into gear. this is all just a theory, but im pretty sure. thanks for your response!
GTBoost is offline  
post #11 of 17 Old 10-15-2015, 02:02 PM Thread Starter
NewTiburon.com Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 29
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
GTBoost is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
Re: Transmission hard to shift after clutch replacement

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie-III View Post
No cable in a automotive clutch/brake hydraulic system of any kind.
The shaft from the pedal arm to master cylinder has some adjustment in it, usual is ~1/2" (I don't remember the exact measurement for a Tib clutch though). You adjust by loosening the jam nut on the actuating rod and twisting one way or the other (lengthen or shorten, depends on what you need) to get the correct freeplay pedal travel dimension.
i checked the freeplay, its fine. i have no issues with how the pedal is situated. thanks for your response!
GTBoost is offline  
post #12 of 17 Old 10-15-2015, 02:58 PM
NewTiburon.com God
 
M.Kyle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Layton, Utah USA
Posts: 3,142
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 322 Post(s)
M.Kyle is just really niceM.Kyle is just really niceM.Kyle is just really nice
Re: Transmission hard to shift after clutch replacement

Maybe you got the clutch disk on backwards :O

T3/T4OB .63 AR Turbo, 2Step Colder Plugs, 460cc Injectors, Fidanza, SPEC Stg3, Stg4 LIM&UIM, Rear Strut Bar, Rear Sway Bar, HIDs , CCFL AEs, Basstib STS, Raceland Coils, FIC6, Mussa Single Exit, WOT Box, Headers, TWM Bushings, 94a Poly MMs, Rear Battery, AFR, Boost, Oil Press Gauges Next: WMI, More boost,
Cutout Exhaust

Shop manuals

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
M.Kyle is offline  
post #13 of 17 Old 10-15-2015, 04:58 PM
Still the same me...
 
Charlie-III's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: USA, North NJ 07456
Posts: 8,564
Mentioned: 251 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Charlie-III has much to be proud ofCharlie-III has much to be proud ofCharlie-III has much to be proud ofCharlie-III has much to be proud ofCharlie-III has much to be proud ofCharlie-III has much to be proud ofCharlie-III has much to be proud ofCharlie-III has much to be proud ofCharlie-III has much to be proud ofCharlie-III has much to be proud ofCharlie-III has much to be proud of
Re: Transmission hard to shift after clutch replacement

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.Kyle View Post
Maybe you got the clutch disk on backwards :O
While possible, not likely. Most times, it's a royal PITA to bolt up the pressure plate if the friction plate is in wrong.

While I have not done a Tib, it "may" be possible, but highly unlikely.

Wifes car: 2004 Tib GT, 2.7L, 5MT, 193K miles, medium blue, basically stock.
My car: 1998 Legacy GT wagon, 2.5L, 5MT, 176K miles, "Quicksilver", not stock and not slow...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


"life is lived, one corner at a time".
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


Best NT.com '13 New-Comer, NT.com '13 Technical Advise & Info (runner-up), NT.com '13 Non-Tib (3rd) .
Charlie-III is offline  
post #14 of 17 Old 10-17-2015, 08:26 PM
NewTiburon.com Novice
 
Flying__Fox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Miami, FL
Posts: 138
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Flying__Fox is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Transmission hard to shift after clutch replacement

I know that I have to change the gear oil of my 6-speed Tib. I hear from some websites that bad, sludge-filled gear oil can cause hard shifting. This may be your problem, also. (Hopefully you don't have a bad transmission/synchros).
Flying__Fox is offline  
post #15 of 17 Old 07-06-2019, 01:01 PM
NewTiburon.com Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
fatalmistborn is an unknown quantity at this point
Ok so i just signed up to this website to say this.. I had the same problem for a while, after 2 clutch replacements i found that the fork was just a little off cause the pin that holds it on would hold it right.. That caused the throught bearing to not fully disengage... It was an easy fix when i figured it out...
fatalmistborn is offline  
post #16 of 17 Old 07-06-2019, 01:02 PM
NewTiburon.com Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
fatalmistborn is an unknown quantity at this point
Would'nt* (my bad sorry about that)
fatalmistborn is offline  
post #17 of 17 Old 07-10-2019, 12:42 PM
NewTiburon.com Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
OmarAta is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Transmission hard to shift after clutch replacement

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatalmistborn View Post
Ok so i just signed up to this website to say this.. I had the same problem for a while, after 2 clutch replacements i found that the fork was just a little off cause the pin that holds it on would hold it right.. That caused the throught bearing to not fully disengage... It was an easy fix when i figured it out...
how can you tell if it is holding it right or not?
I have had my Tiburon (6-speed V6) for over a year now, and it just started doing this (hard to shift to 1st, 2nd, and reverse) a short while ago.
bleeded the slave cylinder, and made sure there are no bubbles at all.
Right now, to get my car in 1st/2nd/Rev, I have to push my clutch through the firewall!
OmarAta is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the New Tiburon Forum : Hyundai Tiburon Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools Search this Thread
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome