post #1 of 14 Old 02-24-2018, 12:18 PM Thread Starter
NewTiburon.com Newbie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
iamdylandixon is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
Hidden Coolant leak!

I was driving my car home the other day when I looked down and noticed my temp gauge was pegged out. I pulled over, didn't notice any leak so I let it cool, and drove it home slowly stopping often to cool, since I wasn't far from my house. When I got home I checked and there wasn't a drop of coolant so once it cooled I added some and saw it was pouring out the bottom of my car. I Jacked up my car and it's coming down around my oil filter. I thought it was the water pump so I pulled everything to see it and the water pumps completely dry, I haven't pulled it off yet but the pulley or anything is dry. Now I'm sat here stuck on what it could be?? Idk what's in that area that could be leaking coolant, thanks for any help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 02-24-2018, 12:48 PM
Still the same me...

Mentioned: 251 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Charlie-III has much to be proud ofCharlie-III has much to be proud ofCharlie-III has much to be proud ofCharlie-III has much to be proud ofCharlie-III has much to be proud ofCharlie-III has much to be proud ofCharlie-III has much to be proud ofCharlie-III has much to be proud ofCharlie-III has much to be proud ofCharlie-III has much to be proud ofCharlie-III has much to be proud of
Re: Hidden Coolant leak!

What year and model?
What engine?

Have someone pour water in while you look for leaks.......let us know.......

Where are you located? Was it suddenly really cold and the car sat (thinking freezeout plugs on block).?

Please fill in your general location (Florida, eastern Canada, whatever........we don't need a street address).
Fill in basics on the car, year, model, engine, trans, mods.......this can go into your signature so we don't have to keep asking, you don't have to keep replying.

Look at my sig (bottom of my posts), sorta a guideline on what to post.

Wifes car: 2004 Tib GT, 2.7L, 5MT, 193K miles, medium blue, basically stock.
My car: 1998 Legacy GT wagon, 2.5L, 5MT, 176K miles, "Quicksilver", not stock and not slow...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"life is lived, one corner at a time".
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Best NT.com '13 New-Comer, NT.com '13 Technical Advise & Info (runner-up), NT.com '13 Non-Tib (3rd) .
post #3 of 14 Old 02-24-2018, 01:50 PM
NewTiburon.com Rookie

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Hoshigaki Kisame is an unknown quantity at this point

It's common for the plastic top of the radiator to form cracks, so try check there.

post #4 of 14 Old 02-24-2018, 06:41 PM
NewTiburon.com Rookie

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
joebassman35 is an unknown quantity at this point

Or another common problem, which I had on mine, is the clamp that goes on the bottom hose where it goes into the rad gets rusty and looses it's grip. I just put a new ss clamp on and it solved it
post #5 of 14 Old 02-25-2018, 11:35 AM Thread Starter
NewTiburon.com Newbie

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
iamdylandixon is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie-III View Post
What year and model?
What engine?

Have someone pour water in while you look for leaks.......let us know.......

Where are you located? Was it suddenly really cold and the car sat (thinking freezeout plugs on block).?

Please fill in your general location (Florida, eastern Canada, whatever........we don't need a street address).
Fill in basics on the car, year, model, engine, trans, mods.......this can go into your signature so we don't have to keep asking, you don't have to keep replying.

Look at my sig (bottom of my posts), sorta a guideline on what to post.
Will do sorry! It's a 2003 GT and I'm in North Carolina and the weather had actually started warming up when it happened

UPDATE: We moved the ac out of the way and it's hard to explain but there's almost like a weep hole behind the ac that it's coming out of, but it's not the weep hole on the water pump and it's also not the big freeze plug there cause we found that one and it wasn't busted. We had someone come look at it and they said it wasn't the head gasket (THANK GOD) but it is probably some kinda gasket so now we're gonna pull off the water pump and see if that gasket is blown and running down out that hole
post #6 of 14 Old 02-26-2018, 07:15 PM
NewTiburon.com Post Master

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1045 Post(s)
dmdicks is a splendid one to beholddmdicks is a splendid one to beholddmdicks is a splendid one to beholddmdicks is a splendid one to beholddmdicks is a splendid one to beholddmdicks is a splendid one to beholddmdicks is a splendid one to behold
The water pump weep goes through a channel in the block and will exit near the oil filter. Change your water pump and gasket.
aveenav likes this.

Huffin E85 and lovin every minute of it!!

Hit me up on gmail chat
post #7 of 14 Old 03-29-2018, 01:50 PM
NewTiburon.com Newbie

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Remerek is an unknown quantity at this point
Garage

I have a coolant leak problem as well. I'm not sure from where though, I have not seen any puddles under my car or sign of leakage, but for some reason my coolant reservoir goes empty every 2 weeks or so and i just keep adding fluid and looking for leaks. No apparent leaks at all.

2007 Hyundai Tiburon GT 2.7 V6 5 Speed Manual
post #8 of 14 Old 03-29-2018, 06:13 PM
Still the same me...

Mentioned: 251 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Charlie-III has much to be proud ofCharlie-III has much to be proud ofCharlie-III has much to be proud ofCharlie-III has much to be proud ofCharlie-III has much to be proud ofCharlie-III has much to be proud ofCharlie-III has much to be proud ofCharlie-III has much to be proud ofCharlie-III has much to be proud ofCharlie-III has much to be proud ofCharlie-III has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remerek View Post
I have a coolant leak problem as well. I'm not sure from where though, I have not seen any puddles under my car or sign of leakage, but for some reason my coolant reservoir goes empty every 2 weeks or so and i just keep adding fluid and looking for leaks. No apparent leaks at all.
Cooling system pressure tester is a good way to check. Everything is cool and makes it safer to bend hose connections and look around for leaks.
The radiator end tanks can age and leak, if you still run the OEM hose spring clamps they can leak (one normal leak is right over the trans under the thermostat), etc.
Kevster likes this.

Wifes car: 2004 Tib GT, 2.7L, 5MT, 193K miles, medium blue, basically stock.
My car: 1998 Legacy GT wagon, 2.5L, 5MT, 176K miles, "Quicksilver", not stock and not slow...

"life is lived, one corner at a time".

Best NT.com '13 New-Comer, NT.com '13 Technical Advise & Info (runner-up), NT.com '13 Non-Tib (3rd) .
post #9 of 14 Old 03-29-2018, 06:33 PM
NewTiburon.com Professional

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 216 Post(s)
Acura_Kal will become famous soon enough

Headgasket?
post #10 of 14 Old 03-30-2018, 12:01 PM
NewTiburon.com Newbie

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Remerek is an unknown quantity at this point
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie-III View Post
Cooling system pressure tester is a good way to check. Everything is cool and makes it safer to bend hose connections and look around for leaks.
The radiator end tanks can age and leak, if you still run the OEM hose spring clamps they can leak (one normal leak is right over the trans under the thermostat), etc.
I will look into this, Thank you!

2007 Hyundai Tiburon GT 2.7 V6 5 Speed Manual
post #11 of 14 Old 04-13-2019, 06:03 PM
NewTiburon.com Newbie

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
stvinny2x is an unknown quantity at this point
I too have a similar issue with a leak. It’s hare to see. So, I took a photo. Maybe this will help. Anyone recognize this?

https://photos.app.goo.gl/bBaPUrDYRKmk3Zn38
post #12 of 14 Old 04-13-2019, 11:09 PM
NewTiburon.com Novice

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Flying__Fox is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by stvinny2x View Post
I too have a similar issue with a leak. It’s hare to see. So, I took a photo. Maybe this will help. Anyone recognize this?

https://photos.app.goo.gl/bBaPUrDYRKmk3Zn38
Judging by the looks of it, is that the oil filter in the bottom right corner, and the A/C compressor in the top right? If so, it looks like your water pump gasket is leaking like @dmdicks said. Depending on how mechanically-inclined you are, you can try taking off the timing belt covers to see. There are a few DIY threads on here depending on which engine you have.
post #13 of 14 Old 04-16-2019, 11:18 PM
NewTiburon.com Newbie

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
stvinny2x is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks. That's something I am capable of doing. I'll let you know what happens.
post #14 of 14 Old 04-19-2019, 09:07 PM
NewTiburon.com Newbie

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
RobertLLR is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoshigaki Kisame View Post
It's common for the plastic top of the radiator to form cracks, so try check there.
What he said. I kept losing coolant with no visible leaks. Finally brought it to the dealer and he found a hairline crack at the top of the radiator--which is plastic. The car was leaking invisible steam. I'll bet you dollars to donuts that is your problem too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the New Tiburon Forum : Hyundai Tiburon Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in