NewTiburon.com Rookie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Tibbytabby is an unknown quantity at this point
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Bruce: Back from the Grave

Hello everyone. It's been a while since I did anything on this forum. A lot has happened with my Tiburon since I disappeared. It made boost for one dyno session, It got a body kit, It was about to be painted, etc. Unfortunately, last week a truck ran a red light in an intersection and sent their tow hitch 3 feet into my engine bay. The insurance company totaled it of course, but I kept the car. I am in the process of rebuilding it now. Here is the progress I have made so far. Everything that got crunched has been pulled from the engine bay. I found no damage to the frame rails after measuring with a tram gauge. The motor was pushed back into the firewall and pulled a motor mount out of the block. So far, I need a radiator, upper tie bar, both aprons, bumper bash bar, all four motor mounts, serpentine belt, hood, and any other little things I find along the way. Of course, I'll also need the passenger airbag.
Attached Images

If I can't make it fast, I don't want it
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 03-22-2019, 05:02 PM
Still the same me...

Mentioned: 250 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2212 Post(s)
Charlie-III has much to be proud ofCharlie-III has much to be proud ofCharlie-III has much to be proud ofCharlie-III has much to be proud ofCharlie-III has much to be proud ofCharlie-III has much to be proud ofCharlie-III has much to be proud ofCharlie-III has much to be proud ofCharlie-III has much to be proud ofCharlie-III has much to be proud ofCharlie-III has much to be proud of
Unhappy Re: Bruce: Back from the Grave

Well.....that sucks......

Wifes car: 2004 Tib GT, 2.7L, 5MT, 193K miles, medium blue, basically stock.
My car: 1998 Legacy GT wagon, 2.5L, 5MT, 176K miles, "Quicksilver", not stock and not slow...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"life is lived, one corner at a time".

Best NT.com '13 New-Comer, NT.com '13 Technical Advise & Info (runner-up), NT.com '13 Non-Tib (3rd) .
post #3 of 10 Old 03-22-2019, 05:02 PM
NewTiburon.com Newbie

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
ltlump is an unknown quantity at this point
Garage
Re: Bruce: Back from the Grave

Welcome back, good luck on the repairs!

post #4 of 10 Old 03-23-2019, 02:42 AM Thread Starter
NewTiburon.com Rookie

Garage
(Thread Starter)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie-III View Post
Well.....that sucks......
Yeah. I still feel sick to my stomach thinking about it. I had literally had it boosted for about 2 weeks when this happened. Luckily the turbo was salvageable. I removed it and I'm gonna put the car back to NA because I'm gonna have to go through inspection to get it clean titled again. Luckily, this shouldn't be a super difficult fix. A local wrecking yard has a 2005 with all the parts I will need to get the car back on the road.
Also, I'm VERY glad I hadn't fitted the front clip of my body kit yet! So I still have a brand new friberglass front clip and sideskirts to put on once its fixed.

post #5 of 10 Old 03-23-2019, 06:05 AM
NewTiburon.com Novice

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Heavenswrong is an unknown quantity at this point
Did he run the light backwards with you behind him?
The_Evenger likes this.
post #6 of 10 Old 03-24-2019, 03:57 PM Thread Starter
NewTiburon.com Rookie

Garage
(Thread Starter)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavenswrong View Post
Did he run the light backwards with you behind him?
He tried to dodge someone else and ended up sideways with his rear facing me. So yeah, if you were wondering, that is a tow hitch mark.

I ordered most of my parts today. I threw in a few little upgrades along the way too. I'm switching out to the factory steel pedals, going to the big bore throttle body and billet throttle rotor, finally gonna fix the AC and get cold air again, and put in front and rear strut bars. I'll take some more pictures tomorrow when I get to the shop. The whole front end is in pieces and the motor and trans are about to get dropped. I have to retap the threads in the block for the passenger side motor mount and straighten the firewall where the motor rammed it.

Last edited by Tibbytabby; 03-24-2019 at 04:05 PM.
post #7 of 10 Old 03-26-2019, 12:28 AM Thread Starter
NewTiburon.com Rookie

Garage
(Thread Starter)

Started making some pulls today. Most of the parts I know of are on their way right now. I still need to get a bash bar and headlights from the wreckers, but I'm making progress and it feels good!
Attached Images

post #8 of 10 Old 03-27-2019, 01:35 AM Thread Starter
NewTiburon.com Rookie

Garage
(Thread Starter)

got everything I need for the front end. The local wreckers had an entire car, so they chopped the front end off at the frame rails so I can take what I need. I pulled the intake off so I can Straighten the firewall tomorrow and cleaned up the intakes real nice while I was at it. Good progress today.
Attached Images

post #9 of 10 Old 03-28-2019, 08:29 PM
NewTiburon.com Newbie

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Denoukura is an unknown quantity at this point
I'm glad you're able to bring your back to life. My '08 wasn't so lucky.
post #10 of 10 Old 03-29-2019, 12:47 AM Thread Starter
NewTiburon.com Rookie

Garage
(Thread Starter)

I made leaps and bounds of progress today! check it out for yourselves! My spring break is this coming week, so unfortunately I won't have access to work on the car until I get back to school. But it's really a lot closer now to being back on the road and I'm really happy with the progress I've made in such a short time.
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the New Tiburon Forum : Hyundai Tiburon Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in