post #1 of 6 Old 07-11-2019, 11:08 AM Thread Starter
NewTiburon.com Newbie

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
TibbiesRus is an unknown quantity at this point
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Question Loss of power after 4000 rpm ...

Hello all,
I recently replaced the heads on my 04 gt with 2.7 and 6 speed manual. Timing belt snapped and bent some valves in the old heads. Anyway, got everything together and engine bay cleaned up nice, She started right up without hesitation and idles smoother than ever before. She revs okay too, but only to 5000rpm while in neutral. When driving I lose all hp/torque at 3800-4000rpm and she will not go over 4600rpm. Timing is perfect, I triple checked. I did get 2 codes... both banks upstream o2 sensor heaters (which were fine before). And when they went out on me about a year ago I did not have a problem like this. It is driving me crazy. As a daily driver it is fine, but if I want to get a little spirited... dead!
*Blue 3.5L fuel injectors
*AEM/K&N air filter
*Cat delete
*Port and polished intake
*New Throttle body W/ new iac and tps
*New MAF
*New plugs and wires
Thanks for reading.

Edit: Just found out that she will actually rev to 6500+ in neutral as long as I do not give full throttle (about 1/2-3/4 throttle). Give it full throttle and she struggles at 5000.
Attached Images

Last edited by TibbiesRus; 07-11-2019 at 09:05 PM. Reason: New Information
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 07-12-2019, 06:50 AM
NewTiburon.com Post Master

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1058 Post(s)
dmdicks is a splendid one to beholddmdicks is a splendid one to beholddmdicks is a splendid one to beholddmdicks is a splendid one to beholddmdicks is a splendid one to beholddmdicks is a splendid one to beholddmdicks is a splendid one to behold
Re: Loss of power after 4000 rpm ...

Why are you running the blue injectors? Those are 290cc and unless you have some way to tune them they will cause issues. Put stock green injectors back in ASAP. Also was your new MAF and O2 sensors OEM? If not that will cause issues as well.
TibbiesRus likes this.

Huffin E85 and lovin every minute of it!!

Hit me up on gmail chat
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 6 Old 07-12-2019, 11:15 AM
NewTiburon.com Expert

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
aveenav will become famous soon enough

a lot of times 5000 RPM limit is caused by bad crankshaft position sensor, wheel speed sensor or MAF.

05 Tib GT v6, 2.7L, 5MT, 140K miles, black, AEM CAI, Mussa Catback exhaust

post #4 of 6 Old 07-12-2019, 01:48 PM Thread Starter
NewTiburon.com Newbie

Garage
(Thread Starter)

I swapped to the blue injectors because I kept getting lean codes. And before the timing belt broke they solved the lean issue. I will order more green OEM Injectors to swap back and see if that helps (Thanks for the heads up). The MAF is OEM. Oxygen sensors are not, just ordered some though. Getting sick of replacing these p.o.s. aftermarkets every 3-4 months.

The crank sensor is new also and OEM.
post #5 of 6 Old 07-12-2019, 02:46 PM
Still the same me...

Mentioned: 251 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2240 Post(s)
Charlie-III has much to be proud ofCharlie-III has much to be proud ofCharlie-III has much to be proud ofCharlie-III has much to be proud ofCharlie-III has much to be proud ofCharlie-III has much to be proud ofCharlie-III has much to be proud ofCharlie-III has much to be proud ofCharlie-III has much to be proud ofCharlie-III has much to be proud ofCharlie-III has much to be proud of
Cool Re: Loss of power after 4000 rpm ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TibbiesRus View Post
I swapped to the blue injectors because I kept getting lean codes. And before the timing belt broke they solved the lean issue. I will order more green OEM Injectors to swap back and see if that helps (Thanks for the heads up). The MAF is OEM. Oxygen sensors are not, just ordered some though. Getting sick of replacing these p.o.s. aftermarkets every 3-4 months.

The crank sensor is new also and OEM.
Please list the CEL codes. The code only states what pissed off the ECU/ECM. It does NOT mean that is the real issue.
Thus, we ask for the code since we may suggest a different path to code resolution.
Example.....P0440(?) is CAT inefficiency, more often than not, stupid exhaust leak, not a multi hundred CAT replacement....

So.....give codes, year, model, miles, recent work, etc......a new radio or lights for an emissions code is not relevant.
So ya know.
TibbiesRus likes this.

Wifes car: 2004 Tib GT, 2.7L, 5MT, 193K miles, medium blue, basically stock.
My car: 1998 Legacy GT wagon, 2.5L, 5MT, 176K miles, "Quicksilver", not stock and not slow...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"life is lived, one corner at a time".

Best NT.com '13 New-Comer, NT.com '13 Technical Advise & Info (runner-up), NT.com '13 Non-Tib (3rd) .

Last edited by Charlie-III; 07-13-2019 at 01:24 AM. Reason: Fix really bad typos.....sigh....
post #6 of 6 Old 07-12-2019, 04:34 PM Thread Starter
NewTiburon.com Newbie

Garage
(Thread Starter)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie-III View Post
Please the old lean codes. The code only states what pissed off the ECU/ECM. It does NOT mean that is the real issue.
Thus, we ask for the code since we may suggest a different path to code resolution.
Example.....P0440(?) is CAT inefficiency, more often than not, stupid exhaust leak, not a multi hundred CAT replacement....

So.....give codes, year, model, miles, recent work, etc......a new radio or lights for an emissions code is not relevant.
So ya know.
The lean codes were over a year ago so I am not 100% sure, but I believe it was P0440. I had a flex pipe leak long ago which was fixed. But still got lean codes after the port and polished intakes with the AEM/K&N filter. I did not get the lean code with the factory airbox. Replaced the green injectors (they were leaking) with blue 3.5 injectors and never got another lean code with the AEM filter. I am not sure what work was done by the previous owner. I do know that I have the 48tooth cam gear which someone here told me that most are the 46tooth? It is a 2004 Tiburon GT, 2.7L, 6 speed manual, has 119,326miles (cylinders still have perfect crosshatch I noticed), The work I recently did was just replace the cylinder heads. My current codes are....
P0032 - Powertrain HO2S Heater Control Circuit High (Bank1 Sensor1)
P0052 - Powertrain HO2S Heater Control Circuit High (Bank2 Sensor2)
Thanks again for y'alls time and help.
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
top end power loss

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the New Tiburon Forum : Hyundai Tiburon Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in