Gears sticking on my automatic. Help me please. - New Tiburon Forum : Hyundai Tiburon Forums

User Tag List

1Likes
  • 1 Post By dmdicks

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 07-17-2019, 01:35 PM Thread Starter
NewTiburon.com Newbie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Kanosllouch is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
Gears sticking on my automatic. Help me please.

So my tibbys been a whole lot of work. I've replaced the tps sway bars rotors breaks oil spark plugs coil pack for 1and4 the negative connection to the battery battery fuse and my cars still running so weird. I've taken it to two separate places and had multiple mechs look at it and still they don't know what's going on. I've had hesitation problems for a long time. Thought maybe replaced the tps and my air filter and cleaning my maf and other sensors would help... No it did nothing. It's just now my car randomly won't let me go back into 1st or up to 4th. It doesn't down shift automatically when in drive. Recently I've been trying to do some tests with it and if I have the gas pedal half way down it accelerates but if I push it more than half way it drops like my foot isn't even on the gas. I don't have o2 sensors in it but I feel as tho o2 sensors won't make my car shut off randomly and won't make my car jump and jolt and not change gears.some one please help me...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 07-17-2019, 02:13 PM
NewTiburon.com Rookie

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
ltlump is an unknown quantity at this point
Garage
Without o2 sensors your car is running crazy rich, doesn't know how to safely idle and floods itself when you hit the gas. Why in the world are you running without o2 sensors? Did you mean the secondary emissions sensors? Your transmission is much harder to diagnose when connected to a non-functional engine.

Last edited by ltlump; 07-17-2019 at 03:59 PM.
post #3 of 10 Old 07-18-2019, 08:50 AM
NewTiburon.com Post Master

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1060 Post(s)
dmdicks is a splendid one to beholddmdicks is a splendid one to beholddmdicks is a splendid one to beholddmdicks is a splendid one to beholddmdicks is a splendid one to beholddmdicks is a splendid one to beholddmdicks is a splendid one to behold
Re: Gears sticking on my automatic. Help me please.

Where are you located? For example in South Africa the GKs don't have emissions equipment or O2 sensors. It sounds weird but its true. The ECU tune is VASTLY different between cars in SA and every other country.

Huffin E85 and lovin every minute of it!!

Hit me up on gmail chat
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 10 Old 07-18-2019, 11:46 PM Thread Starter
NewTiburon.com Newbie

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ltlump View Post
Without o2 sensors your car is running crazy rich, doesn't know how to safely idle and floods itself when you hit the gas. Why in the world are you running without o2 sensors? Did you mean the secondary emissions sensors? Your transmission is much harder to diagnose when connected to a non-functional engine.

When I bought it there weren't any. Ran a scan on it and that popped up. For all of them bank 1 sensor 1 and 2 and bank 2 sensor 1 and 2
post #5 of 10 Old 07-18-2019, 11:47 PM Thread Starter
NewTiburon.com Newbie

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmdicks View Post
Where are you located? For example in South Africa the GKs don't have emissions equipment or O2 sensors. It sounds weird but its true. The ECU tune is VASTLY different between cars in SA and every other country.
I'm in North America they are needed to pass emissions tests
post #6 of 10 Old 07-19-2019, 08:33 AM
NewTiburon.com Post Master

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1060 Post(s)
dmdicks is a splendid one to beholddmdicks is a splendid one to beholddmdicks is a splendid one to beholddmdicks is a splendid one to beholddmdicks is a splendid one to beholddmdicks is a splendid one to beholddmdicks is a splendid one to behold

WTF? You bought it in the US of A and it had no O2 sensors? Do you have any kind of history on the vehicle? How many miles? What year? If the car has no O2 sensors you should be in limp mode and not be able to rev past 3k rpm. The ECU's going to be all kinds of pissed off.
The_Evenger likes this.

Huffin E85 and lovin every minute of it!!

Hit me up on gmail chat
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 10 Old 08-16-2019, 12:52 PM Thread Starter
NewTiburon.com Newbie

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmdicks View Post
WTF? You bought it in the US of A and it had no O2 sensors? Do you have any kind of history on the vehicle? How many miles? What year? If the car has no O2 sensors you should be in limp mode and not be able to rev past 3k rpm. The ECU's going to be all kinds of pissed off.

The o2 sensors are supposed to go in on Monday so we will see how it goes after that.
post #8 of 10 Old 08-29-2019, 01:21 AM
NewTiburon.com Newbie

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
GavinM428 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanosllouch View Post
So my tibbys been a whole lot of work. I've replaced the tps sway bars rotors breaks oil spark plugs coil pack for 1and4 the negative connection to the battery battery fuse and my cars still running so weird. I've taken it to two separate places and had multiple mechs look at it and still they don't know what's going on. I've had hesitation problems for a long time. Thought maybe replaced the tps and my air filter and cleaning my maf and other sensors would help... No it did nothing. It's just now my car randomly won't let me go back into 1st or up to 4th. It doesn't down shift automatically when in drive. Recently I've been trying to do some tests with it and if I have the gas pedal half way down it accelerates but if I push it more than half way it drops like my foot isn't even on the gas. I don't have o2 sensors in it but I feel as tho o2 sensors won't make my car shut off randomly and won't make my car jump and jolt and not change gears.some one please help me...
I had the same issue with the gas pedal thing (if you're not like 70% throttle to floored, the car basically just drops like you're not even on the gas). If this would happen I would unplug the battery and hook it back up and it would temporarily fix it. It would eventually come back at some random time though. After replacing tons of parts with no success whatsoever, and a whole bunch of testing, we said screw it and (even though it didn't make sense) we replaced the throttle cable with a brand new OEM one from the dealership. To our prevail, It's been a year and a half and the issue never came back. Don't ask me why or how it worked, cause I have no clue lmao. Maybe this will fix your issue, I'd say its worth a shot since they're very cheap and easy to install.
post #9 of 10 Old 08-30-2019, 06:39 PM Thread Starter
NewTiburon.com Newbie

(Thread Starter)
So I replaced the speed sensor and put on two o2 sensors and still nothing. Now when I start the car up it goes from first then revs really high then goes into 3rd and stays. I tried the battery thing and it worked for a little but came back. I'll check out the throttle cable but I can floor it with no problem it like fixed it self some how idk what's going on with it. But it won't go out of 3rd still. It'll still let me put it into second manually. My mechanic here is help but very little. I'm going to check out the throttle cable but idk I'm so over pumping money into this
post #10 of 10 Old 09-03-2019, 03:43 AM
NewTiburon.com Professional

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 230 Post(s)
The_Evenger
Garage

Does your speedometer operate normally?
Is the car jumping / jolting because of the engine or transmission?
Do you have access to a scan tool that can communicate with the transmission?
Any TDCs for the engine / transmission?
Does it shift harshly or slowly when it does shift?
Is the transmission fluid at the proper level?
Is the transmission fluid dark or smell burned?

My current best guess is either a problem with the input or output speed sensor or a rub-through on the transmission harness. it might help to film the problem if you can safely drive the car and demonstrate the fault.

Edit: I also found this in the workshop manual (on this forum) that might put more suspicion on the speed sensors

2004 Tiburon GT WN | minor performance mods(
)

Last edited by The_Evenger; 09-03-2019 at 03:58 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the New Tiburon Forum : Hyundai Tiburon Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in