Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings friends,

I drove my ‘05 SE with 100k mi from Seattle to Tucson and almost exactly halfway, the dang high press PS line blew out! Stupid as before I left I had replaced pretty much everything with moving parts in the engine bay. As well as springs, struts, and lower control arms. MT-90 in the gearbox, Mobil 1 oil, entire cooling & AC systems and all related components, hoses, etc. All fluids new, oils all golden clear, PS pump also full & clear fluid.

Alas, some pinhead long before I bought it 2 yrs ago didn’t properly secure the high pressure PS hose, and it was rubbing on the alternator, for about 5 years by the split hose weathering. So 700 mi of horrible interstate road conditions was enough to finally get to the inner core.

Caught the hose draining just before leaving Modesto. So was still full, but draining fast, and pure luck, found an open shop (Honest Engine that squeezed me in, and AutoZone was nearby.

So got both hoses, and should have been a simple R&R job.

But stymied again! The car must have done time out east, as every bolt on the undercarriage is rusty or even fused by rust! I knew this as my mechanic who does my “heavy maintenance” had a heck of a time pulling the old struts/mounts, and control arms. I have an ‘06 GT Limited as well that’s rust free that I bought new with 7 miles on it. The entire undercarriage has a thick rubber coating that’s still perfect to this day.

On inspection, the hose connections to & from the rack were fused by rust! BUT, they didn’t leak!
But as I was in-transit, they were just not comfortable removing the hoses because it would likely screw the connections…. Then I’d be SOL without a new rack!

Awesome guys! They were able to do a “combat patch”, and cut the bad 6” section of hose, and splice in and seal it with std high pressure line. Refilled about 3/4ths a quart of fluid, she pressurized, no leaks! And PS was normal again and got me to Tucson with no issues! But they also said the two hoses that AutoZone listed as correct, were the wrong ones! Lucked out again.

SE stays here, moving in 6-8 months & my GT is in far better shape in & out when I’ll drive that here when I move. So no urgency. But the OEM part for the whole assy is

Gear & Linkage Assembly-Power Steering. 57700-2C000

Other sites “claim” that 57700-2D000 (Elantra) is interchangeable. But the Hyundai dealer site with complete diagrams says it is NOT! Ref: https://www.hyundaipartsdeal.com/ge...&filter=(02=G;05=7)&location=pd:5657711,57700

I’m not paying $1100 when there’s good rebuilt to new spec ones for under $200. But there’s no good cross ref to their part numbers even though they claim it fits 03-08 Tuburons, all models. And some cross ref part 57700-2D000 AND 57700-2C000 as interchangeable. Huh? Dealer site says NO to the 2D000 part by VIN # check. And they do have slight differences in the dealer diagrams.

Anyone replace theirs and encounter this? Or does anyone know where I could cross ref aftermarket part numbers to be sure it’s a match to the OEM 2C000 part? Most of the pics for aftermarket ones I’ve found do match the 2C000 OEM dealer diagram. But who wants to get one that’s not a correct fitment?

Or perhaps someone has indeed replaced with the 2D000 OEM part? Then I can trust the fact that most aftermarket ones say both Tib & Elantra fitment for the listed years for the full assy.

Thanks in advance for any knowledge anyone can share! I share my known info here for others regularly, and almost always find my answers from members. The forums have been an outstanding resource for us Tib lovers! But haven’t found an answer with searching this time.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Also, this one on eBay is a visual match, and says Tiburon 03-08 & Elantra…. Looks like a good part if it truly is a match for all 03-08 Tiburons, all models.

·
Registered
2006 Hyundai Tiburon SE
622 Posts
Edit: oops I misread your post and responded with incorrect information. Please disregard this response.

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
Not sure what the difference is, but RockAuto has them listed differently for the Elantra vs Tiburon. The only Tiburon ones available are remans (or a reman service by sending them your rack), and both reference the 2C000 oem number. The Elantra (2005 for example) lists new and reman options and they reference the 2D000 number.

If it were me I'd stick with one that for sure is compatible with the 2C000 part number

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ya, there lies the issue. I’ve bought lots of parts from RockAuto, and I’ve never gotten the wrong part. Which confounds the issue as there’s no match for the 2C000 part number on the site. But the photos on RockAuto DO visually match the dealer diagram for the 2C000 rack exactly.

One is ship to them and they rebuild, the other just has a core charge of $75.

But for $150 and no core charge, I’m inclined to roll the dice just get that one, as it visually matches the dealer diagram, as well as the photos of the ones shown on RockAuto.

If it’s correct, I’ll save a lot and no core charge. And would confirm it’s a fit for at least all ‘03-‘08 Tibs with a 2.7 V6! If I switch to an ‘04 or ‘06 on the dealer site the 2C000 remains the correct part.

And it’s not a $400 (or more), $150 isn’t a big deal to try if it’s a visual match…. And with Hyundai OEM, more often than not, if the only change is 2D000 from 2C000, it’s just a superseded part.

If no one else knows for sure, I’ll be the test subject and report back if it’s a fit.

Off topic, local part stores wanted an insane $250 for each control arm! Lol

I got the Auto7 ones for $9 ea. at RockAuto! Many posted here that the Auto7 brand would likely be actual OEM. And they were 100% correct. They are made in Korea, and labeled as being for Tuscani! And had the Auto7 part # sticker, as well as a sticker with the correct Hyundai dealer part # as well. My new go to brand for the less common parts! Bolted right up perfectly!

Thanks for the replies!

·
Registered
170 Posts
After reading half your story, I could not anticipate a question. What are you leading up to?

It is not genius to cut and shorten any hose with the right clamps.

Glad you are ok.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wasn’t about the patch job. Even if I had the tools, it has lowered springs and it split where it was totally inaccessible without a lift. And I was 700 miles from anywhere I was even remotely familiar with! lol

I need to replace the rack & pinion, as even the hard lines & the fittings on it are so rusted that I don’t trust it. Just confusion that Hyundai says only the 2C000 part # fits, but all available remans only cross reference the 2D000 part # yet they all say they fit all model Tibs. I saw no visible difference between them. So got a reman rack & pinion from a high rated seller in Phoenix. Pretty sure it’ll fit just as the original. But will be a few months before I’m in AZ again, then I’ll know for sure if the 2C000 & 2D000 rack & pinion part numbers are truly interchangeable even though Hyundai lists them as not.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts