Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I have an 01 Tiburon that I've been driving for around two years now. The car currently has close to 160k miles and I could tell it went through some abuse in the past. Since I've had it, third gear always had a small grinding problem, but since it never was too much of an issue so we ignored it. Until recently, the car had been working just fine. However, as of a few days ago, when I downshifted on the highway, the car shifted into fourth, then I noticed the RPMs were quickly approaching the red and I pulled it back into neutral quickly. Shortly after that, I realized that fourth gear was completely missing and later I found out that third gear would also not engage. The shifter goes into the position for third and fourth easily, but the gears don't engage. I looked under the hood and found the piece that actually does the shifts on top of the transmission and manually tried the positions for third and fourth to no avail. Also, first gear now refuses to even let me put the shifter in that position. What could be causing this issue?

·
Registered
8,088 Posts
Can you put it into 4th with the engine off? If you can then start it in 4th and let the clutch out. If the revs rise and the car doesn't move then your clutch is toast. If you can't get it into 4th with engine on or off then either your shifter bushings or worn or the shift fork in the tranny could be broken. Look for used trannys for 96 to 08 Tiburon 2.0l engines at junkyards.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Fourth gear doesn't do anything. The shifter gets into position but no gears move. It can't be the clutch since second and fifth work just fine. First has some weird resistance and doesn't slide in, but second does. You're probably right though, it's probably the shift fork. I'll probably try to replace that first when I have a space to work. If that fails, I'll just buy a used tranny. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Buy a used trans. If you want a taller 5th gear, go with an 01 Elantra trans. You'll have to shave a piece off for the motor mount to bolt on, but it's worth it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts