Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner
81 - 100 of 109 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #81 ·
So big update exhaust system is going on tomorrow my regular shop that said they would do the flanges offered to just throw the new exhaust on free of charge being that I assume they would have to take the entire exhaust off then back on anyways.

Not expecting huge gains like with any mod the next one I'm dead set on is ECU which will probably yield by far the most gains.

The exhaust is pretty urgent being that everything is rusting out so it's a high priority atm

·
Premium Member
2006 Hyundai Tiburon SE
1,221 Posts
With just a catback there won't be much for gains unless it is coupled with headers too. You will see the most gains from the headers even with the OEM catback. If your new catback is free flowing like a Borla (perforated tubes for resonators and mufflers) It will flow easier and flow well all the way out to your rev limiter.

Reactions: 03tibgts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #83 ·

With just a catback there won't be much for gains unless it is coupled with headers too. You will see the most gains from the headers even with the OEM catback. If your new catback is free flowing like a Borla (perforated tubes for resonators and mufflers) It will flow easier and flow well all the way out to your rev limiter.
I understand I have the intake/slightly ported upper and lower/TB spacer so ECU, headers, cams and light weight pulleys would be next.

I'm also still working on weight reduction

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #86 ·
Not exactly buying the results from 149 who to 173 with just upper lower and exhaust. Granted the exhaust was rusty and messed up and there was about a 2mm layer of oil on the IMs.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #89 ·
Yup you put in the info of the car and weather and calibrate the phone. Gonna go to a Dyno soon.

Just an update I mostly been fixing problems.

Had to replace window motor and then.the child lock button was stuck under neither the plastic if that makes sense so I had to take care of that.

Then serpentine belt started squeaking and I broke the tent oner so replaced those.

Atm my mods are -

Catback
Intake heat wrapped k&n filter
TB spacer
Upper and lover IM gasket matched
Probably 80 pounds of weight reduction

Still to do

Headers
ECU (gonna do this next)
Pulleys
Cams
Lightweight rims
More weight reduction

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #90 ·
So it's about that time breaks are getting squeaky not to bad but visually they are looking pretty rough too.

Anyone have exp with carbon breaks vs steel it would in theory save about 3-4hp 200-300 static mass?

I'm just thinking wow I've got new

Timing belt
Air intake
Upper I'm
Lower I'm
Exhaust
Radiator
Water pump
Thermostat
Serpentine belt
Window motor
Battery
Taillights
Cf gas cover

This car is modded/rebuilt as heck at this point.

Btw I'm getting the breaks as a partial sponsorship won't say the name though lok

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #95 ·
Well update for the thread here I did cat delete the 3rd rear cat which was worth 340 dollars just fyi for scrap. Performance and sound wise a very slight improvement.

I just used the cat looking thing from the header kit and part of the y pipe the straight part. Cat was fairly clean could see daylight through it so at least I know my emissions aren't terrible no CEL either btw with the front cats still in tact.

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
Nice. Yeah the "cat looking thing" is usually just called a test pipe. It's just a straight pipe usually, nothing to it.

And you'll never get a CEL by deleting that third cat--there are no sensors after it so there's nothing there to trip the CEL.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #97 ·
Nice. Yeah the "cat looking thing" is usually just called a test pipe. It's just a straight pipe usually, nothing to it.

And you'll never get a CEL by deleting that third cat--there are no sensors after it so there's nothing there to trip the CEL.
Good to know! It was nice to get paid to do it as well it's nice for people doing cat work now the newer parts are made with less platinum etc.

Ordered the parts for my girls cat, hers is worth 320 the parts are 200 so I'll get 120 and fix a problem all at once!

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #99 ·
So this weekend is gonna be some stuff. Finally will have some spare dough to get an ecu from chase. In the meantime my rear brakes need done.

I'm going to take some weight off finally I never have anyone in the backseat no reason to keep it that is about 44lbs not much but it's unneeded. Get rid of the pads on the ground, some of the plastic panels in the back.

I threw away the crappy Chinese headers saving up for the hurricane ones, I got a nut buster for those rounded off exhaust manifold screws this time when I do it there will be no fail and nothing janky I'll have to do like hammer a runner in to avoid the alternator.

I'm also painting my hood this weekend, I had one go with it was crap came out dirty looking tried sanding by hand didn't come out well. Orbital sanding with a new sander all that stuff off 320 grit, washing with oil and wax remover. One coat of primer. Wet sanding. One more coat of primer. Then 3 coats of rustoleam gloss. Then clear coat.

If it comes out nicely I will be doing the rest of the car like this. Probably different colors however.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #100 ·
Well took out the backseat, seat belts and brackets. Probably more around 70-80 pounds total I did not take the bottom pad off due to it being completely fabric and staples. Now the car is like a covered el Camino lol.

Luggage and bags Gadget Electric blue Electronic device Bag

81 - 100 of 109 Posts