Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner

04 gt 6spd manual tib, throttle issues???

1K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  WISCO-TIBBY.04 
#1 ·
hey guys i recently bought an 04 tib and it was driving fine, i adjusted the throttle cable as the car felt like it was backing off from throttle at 5k rpm as though i was only holding the accelerator 3/4 of the way, but i think this caused problems somehow, it will lose power for a second on throttle then jerk back on at around 2-3k rpm, sometimes the idle rpm jumps up jump to 2-3k while clutch is pressed in. ive replaced the tps and cleaned the throttle body, the tps connections, but not fully cleaned the iacv yet, can anyone help? i've looked through the old forums but i could never find a definitive answer to my problem ( i have also returned the throttle cable back to where is was ) anyone have any ideas?

thanks!
Car Vehicle Automotive side marker light Vehicle registration plate Tire

See less See more
#2 ·
Make sure the TPS is OEM. Aftermarket sensors don't play well.

Also did you remove the throttle body to clean it? If so make sure it's sealing well with the intake manifold and there's nothing in the way causing a vacuum leak.

#3 ·
On the bottom of the TB is a bracket that does NOT go between the TB and upper intake. Very common issue when doing plugs or TB work/cleaning.

#8 ·
Man I had something similar go on with my V6; although not as bad: All OEM air/fuel sensors but sometimes the rpm would stick, sticky pedal, or 85% power but the car FINALLY threw a code telling me it was an bank 2 O2 sensor. I doubt that is your issue.

Do you still have the original TPS sensor?

#9 ·
ok so i fixed it, everything runs normally and she drives great, im not sure how but the brand new tps i bought, didn’t work at all. i threw the old tps on just for fun and cleared the code with an obd2 tool and the idle jumping up stopped completely! so random! but it was still cutting out throttle then jumping back on while doing 60ish, so i had a closer look and my cps connecter is was in pieces, i must’ve bumped it while i was changing the air filter, i bought a new plug for that, wired it in and everything is back to normal 😄

#10 ·
Thanks for the followup.