Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While searching the forum i found a couple of other diys on this but nobody still had the pictures so while performing this today i took some pictures.

This was what we started out with, looks good but a little dated, so lets update!

What you need

Dremel with heavy duty cutoff wheels
Rustoleum paint
8 mm Socket
Silicone

Big @$$ hammer

Amber bulbs of your choice, i went with silverstars cause they were readily available and I am due for inspection this month

Lastly time!!

Start by removing your light there are 3 8mm bolts on the back holding each on, and on the driverside you may need to remove the sub if you have one.
This is what it looks like when you have the light removed

Lets first modify the taillight itself.
Your going to need to cut off the mount by the reverse bulb

Fill this hole with silicone to seal it

On each taillight youll have to mess with a different hole that youll need to enarge to get the reverse bulb socket to fit in. You can see where i needed to enlarge the one on the passenger side in those pics. Heres one from the drivers side

The problem area lies in the reverse lamp location, so lets fix that. Start wackin it till it fits, take it slow this is a time consuming process, but i garantee you the second one will go faster. Test fit as you go.

Once it fits paint the metal so it doesnt rust

Heres the finished drivers side

Replace your bulbs connect everything up and attach by these 2 nuts

And your done!

Comparison of the 2 lights

·
Registered
34 Posts
Re: DIY F/L 1 Taillight Install - With Pics

Looks great.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts

I just did mine yesterday. It was a PITA! But it turned out great. I was going to do a diy to. I took pics of everything. Like he said the first one takes awhile, but after you learn where to hit the second goes by nuch quicker. I probably spent 15 mins. on the first and 5 on the last.

I love them.

·
Registered
57 Posts

Awsome guide! Did mine yesterday.. took me some time to do the first light.. but the second one tootk me less than 3 minutes.. i just whacked away at is.. lol :p

Thnx for the great guide! lights fit perfect now.

·
Registered
2,611 Posts

Here I'll do you guys one better. I've been lazy and still haven't taken pics so here.

·
Registered
200 Posts

I did this the other day, and man.. I wish I had a bigger hammer haha.

Here's a few pictures:

Haven't even gotten my plates yet and already started modding lol. So far, blackhoused headlights, my stealth radio, and now tail lights. Decent start I'd say

·
Registered
833 Posts
Re: DIY: F/L Taillight Install on 2003-2004 Models

I'm trying to do this, but I'm a little confused, what tab do you mean that you said to cut off by the reverse bulb?

·
Registered
599 Posts

Yes the mounting tab/rod thing next to the reverse bulb.

·
Registered
11 Posts

While searching the forum i found a couple of other diys on this but nobody still had the pictures so while performing this today i took some pictures.

This was what we started out with, looks good but a little dated, so lets update!

What you need

Dremel with heavy duty cutoff wheels
Rustoleum paint
8 mm Socket
Silicone

Big @$$ hammer

Amber bulbs of your choice, i went with silverstars cause they were readily available and I am due for inspection this month

Lastly time!!

Start by removing your light there are 3 8mm bolts on the back holding each on, and on the driverside you may need to remove the sub if you have one.
This is what it looks like when you have the light removed

Lets first modify the taillight itself.
Your going to need to cut off the mount by the reverse bulb

Fill this hole with silicone to seal it

On each taillight youll have to mess with a different hole that youll need to enarge to get the reverse bulb socket to fit in. You can see where i needed to enlarge the one on the passenger side in those pics. Heres one from the drivers side

The problem area lies in the reverse lamp location, so lets fix that. Start wackin it till it fits, take it slow this is a time consuming process, but i garantee you the second one will go faster. Test fit as you go.

Once it fits paint the metal so it doesnt rust

Heres the finished drivers side

Replace your bulbs connect everything up and attach by these 2 nuts

And your done!

Comparison of the 2 lights

I had a picture of my install i wanted to add to your DIY :)

Attachments

·
Registered
6,608 Posts

It's a fun install. :D

2 best tools... Hammer and FIRE!

·
Registered
149 Posts

I just finished doing this to my car about 30 minutes ago. Took me about 2 hours because I had to go to Home Depot to get a Dremel and Rustoleom (in which case I went back up there when I was done with them and they gave me my money back, bahahaha). This was really easy to go, but the hardest part was the hammering (which was honestly very easy). Every hit made me want to cry as I dented up my poor baby.

Anyway. Here are 3 pictures of my Tibby:

Before

During

After

·
Registered
568 Posts

Just did this. Soo painful to smack the car with a 3lb sledge...

But the finished product is nice.

Quick, addition, something I found out while doin this. When you take the tail out, youll see 2 brackets that hold the bumper on. When you hammer the tail light area, the metal stretches and the brackets on the end will move.

I didnt take the push pins out so the plastic tabs, the hole on the tab stretched out and broke. Not really a big deal, just letting others know.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts