Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I'm pretty new around here. I've been lurking around. I recently traded in my silver i4 2005 tiburon for a brand new 06 Moonlit Blue GT. I love this car, but i am somewhat frustrated with the minor swirl marks. I understand that this will happen, but its driving me crazy.

I have searched around and want to get your opinion on what the best thing for me to do. The swirls are not that bad so I don't know if I am better off trying to detail myself or go to a professional and get it done. Should I use Meguiar's polish and then NXT wax? or should I go for their Deep Crystal paint cleaner, polish and then NXT wax?

Any suggestions would be helpful.

·
Registered
384 Posts
the swirls marks are from you using a towle to dry off the car you need to get the car color sanded to get them out. the only why to not get them back is to blow the car off to dry it. if you don't put wax on your paint if you run your hand on the paint you are putting skatchs into the paint.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
PS1 said:
the swirls marks are from you using a towle to dry off the car you need to get the car color sanded to get them out. the only why to not get them back is to blow the car off to dry it. if you don't put wax on your paint if you run your hand on the paint you are putting skatchs into the paint.
Thank you for your absolutely useless information...

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
MoonlitV6 said:
Hey all,

I'm pretty new around here. I've been lurking around. I recently traded in my silver i4 2005 tiburon for a brand new 06 Moonlit Blue GT. I love this car, but i am somewhat frustrated with the minor swirl marks. I understand that this will happen, but its driving me crazy.

I have searched around and want to get your opinion on what the best thing for me to do. The swirls are not that bad so I don't know if I am better off trying to detail myself or go to a professional and get it done. Should I use Meguiar's polish and then NXT wax? or should I go for their Deep Crystal paint cleaner, polish and then NXT wax?

wax wont remove the swirl marks.........it will only "gloss" ur existing clear coat....which is where ur marks are.......the only way to really remove them is with polishing compound and a buffing wheel.......if u dont know how dont try it......a detail shop would charge anywhere from 1-150 and up for a full compounding of the clear coat...but after that swirl marks will always appear theres no way to avoid it.....also the OEM factory clearcoat is so thin extra caution should be taken when compounding, as it will burn right into ur paint.....what u could try for ur real bad ones is some 3m polishing compound by hand...but u might be there forever and fog up ur clear and not fully remove it...ALOT of elbow grease is needed, by machine is better....all those fancy waxes do nothing but make the clear shine....they dont "cut" in and completly remove the mark

for now u can try waxing it with some nice mguires gold class wax and see how bad it is from there......try using microfiber cloths when drying ur car and be gentle with it.....clean it often and u should be alright.....like i sed theres really no way to keep ur clear coat from swirl marking unless its on display in a glass case in a museum

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
I used to have wicked swirls on my dark-colored cars but they went away when I switched from using cotton cloths for wax removal to microfiber cloths.

I've used a couple different ummm budget-priced waxes since making the switch and the swirls have gone away. Might not be the wax causing problems but the other tools you're using.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just bought an 06 moonlit blue tib also. When the dealer brought it out for inspection I noticed the detailer left swirls all over it. Long story short if they don't have the swirls gone today I get either a brand new car, or a brand new paint job.

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
chaznatr said:
I just bought an 06 moonlit blue tib also. When the dealer brought it out for inspection I noticed the detailer left swirls all over it. Long story short if they don't have the swirls gone today I get either a brand new car, or a brand new paint job.

They're prolly just gonna buff and polish ur entire clear coat(IF even that).......which also leaves swirl marks.......even if they do a good polishing job or they "repaint" ur car......swirl marks will always appear.........there's no way to avoid em

And be ready to wash ur car by hand for hours evry time it needs cleaning if u want to avoid swirl marks.....and doing that won't even keep them from appearing

·
Registered
202 Posts
I used a lot of that Meguiars ScratchX stuff after clay bar and it seemed to help alot as far as swirl marks go.. then I waxed after that.

·
Banned
2,605 Posts
MoonlitV6 said:
Hey all,

oh yeah i know what you feel.. i have a 2006 regatta blue GT.. i use meguiars wax thats made for dark colored cars.. it covers them up damn good for a while.. i avoid car washes and that helps also, try to wash it yourself.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts