Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi y'all, I wasn't sure if I should have put this in general or GK Performance section, so apologies if this is out of place. In my 2006 2.7 SE, the transmission won't shift into 6th gear. It feels like there's just no sixth gear, though there is a reverse lockout pull thingy on the shifter so I'm nearly certain it is a 6 speed.

Anyway, I took the shift cables off and shifted the transmission directly from the engine bay to eliminate the shifter and cable mechanisms from the equation. Sure enough, shifted into every gear (including reverse) except 6th again. It feels like there's just no slot for it. I searched on this forum some and found a few posts from about a decade ago, some were saying shift forks could be bad, and others said that the fork for 5th and 6th is the same. Since it shifts into 5th fine, its likely not that. Unless their data was wrong. I also came across someone who said that something to do with a worn 5th gear will cause some metal to buildup somewhere, so that the 6th gear sleeve can't be engaged? Or something like that. I'm not sure exactly what he meant, lol.

Has anyone successfully dealt with this issue? I really don't want to have to pull and/or overhaul a transmission. From what I've heard, a multiton press is required. It wouldn't surprise me if the trans is a bit worn; I've grinded 3rd and 5th a few times despite the clutch being flat on the floor. Should I try to put it in 6th with the engine on and clutch partly engaged? Maybe to force the burr on 6th in the trans to come apart? Or something? Any insight is much appreciated

·
Registered
103 Posts
Hi y'all, I wasn't sure if I should have put this in general or GK Performance section, so apologies if this is out of place. In my 2006 2.7 SE, the transmission won't shift into 6th gear. It feels like there's just no sixth gear, though there is a reverse lockout pull thingy on the shifter so I'm nearly certain it is a 6 speed.

Anyway, I took the shift cables off and shifted the transmission directly from the engine bay to eliminate the shifter and cable mechanisms from the equation. Sure enough, shifted into every gear (including reverse) except 6th again. It feels like there's just no slot for it. I searched on this forum some and found a few posts from about a decade ago, some were saying shift forks could be bad, and others said that the fork for 5th and 6th is the same. Since it shifts into 5th fine, its likely not that. Unless their data was wrong. I also came across someone who said that something to do with a worn 5th gear will cause some metal to buildup somewhere, so that the 6th gear sleeve can't be engaged? Or something like that. I'm not sure exactly what he meant, lol.

Has anyone successfully dealt with this issue? I really don't want to have to pull and/or overhaul a transmission. From what I've heard, a multiton press is required. It wouldn't surprise me if the trans is a bit worn; I've grinded 3rd and 5th a few times despite the clutch being flat on the floor. Should I try to put it in 6th with the engine on and clutch partly engaged? Maybe to force the burr on 6th in the trans to come apart? Or something? Any insight is much appreciated
unless its not the trans that came with the car, its definitely a 6 speed, the SE trim model only comes with a 6, I've never had this problem on my 6 speed, and have given my synchro's a run for their money (my release bearing is going out and not fully disengaging the clutch)

I hope you find a solution to the problem

·
Registered
412 Posts
Did it used to work?

If 5th works, and you can cleanly put it in reverse, id say more than likely you have a 6th gear synchro assembly problem. Are you hearing any noises while trying to engage?

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
care to take a short video of your problem?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Did it used to work?

If 5th works, and you can cleanly put it in reverse, id say more than likely you have a 6th gear synchro assembly problem. Are you hearing any noises while trying to engage?
I never got to shift into 6th for as long as i've had the car, which has been a few months. I bought it understanding I'd need to do some work to get 6th back, though I assumed I'd just have to do some alignment or bushing stuff. It's starting to seem like the transmission needs to be pulled though. Today, I tried shifting into 6th with the engine on and clutch out to see if that changed anything, which it didn't. I also revved it to redline in 5th gear (wheels off the ground) and tried to slam it back into 6th, which also did nothing. No noises or anything at all when trying to put it in 6th, almost like it doesn't even exist

·
Registered
412 Posts
I'm in Richmond Virginia
Well, im not terribly far from you. Im in Clover, SC.

Ive got a couple projects i need to get out of the way, but if you pull the trans Id be happy to crack it open for you and repair if needed. Or if you want me to pull the trans we can work that out too. Hell, we can even go the extra mile and drop in a LSD while we're in there.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, im not terribly far from you. Im in Clover, SC.

Ive got a couple projects i need to get out of the way, but if you pull the trans Id be happy to crack it open for you and repair if needed. Or if you want me to pull the trans we can work that out too. Hell, we can even go the extra mile and drop in a LSD while we're in there.
shoot I'd be down, I likewise have some stuff to take care of before cracking at the trans. Let me know down the road and maybe we can figure something out. I just hate to pull the trans if I don't need to; my miata did something where it locked itself into reverse and no gears worked. Couldve sworn I blew the trans, but the fix was as simple as jamming a screwdriver in the case and wriggling it around. I guess I hoped for something similar here lol

·
Registered
412 Posts
shoot I'd be down, I likewise have some stuff to take care of before cracking at the trans. Let me know down the road and maybe we can figure something out. I just hate to pull the trans if I don't need to; my miata did something where it locked itself into reverse and no gears worked. Couldve sworn I blew the trans, but the fix was as simple as jamming a screwdriver in the case and wriggling it around. I guess I hoped for something similar here lol
Well, a friend of mine had issues specifically with reverse. Would grind every time no matter what. The condition developed on its own, but a few months prior, we had put in solid bushings in the shift linkage, and replaced the master/slave cylinders. A week after, it acted like the clutch went out. The clutch fluid was completely black. Remember everything was freshly bled a week ago. So I re-bled the system and everything was fine or so we thought.

So the reverse problem happened. The trans already had issues with third gear synchros, we figured reverse was following along. He mentioned that the clutch felt inconsistent... so i ordered a steel braided line for a 350z and modified it to fit. Reverse grind completely went away. I think third gear still has an issue, but the trans has never shifted so good into every gear now according to him.

Food for thought.

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
post the vids on YT and link it here. i think you should have enough posts soon

·
Registered
103 Posts
Well, a friend of mine had issues specifically with reverse. Would grind every time no matter what. The condition developed on its own, but a few months prior, we had put in solid bushings in the shift linkage, and replaced the master/slave cylinders. A week after, it acted like the clutch went out. The clutch fluid was completely black. Remember everything was freshly bled a week ago. So I re-bled the system and everything was fine or so we thought.

So the reverse problem happened. The trans already had issues with third gear synchros, we figured reverse was following along. He mentioned that the clutch felt inconsistent... so i ordered a steel braided line for a 350z and modified it to fit. Reverse grind completely went away. I think third gear still has an issue, but the trans has never shifted so good into every gear now according to him.

Food for thought.
how much was the steel clutch line? was it an easy job?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

Food for thought.
Oh interesting, that makes sense that the grind was caused by the clutch not disengaging. Unfortunately in my case, it seems like the clutch itself works okay. I might try just thrashing the car around, particularly the trans, to see if I can coerce it to work before deciding to go ahead and pull the trans out. I guess if I had to do that, it would be a good excuse to install a light mass flywheel. Lol

·
Registered
412 Posts
Oh interesting, that makes sense that the grind was caused by the clutch not disengaging. Unfortunately in my case, it seems like the clutch itself works okay. I might try just thrashing the car around, particularly the trans, to see if I can coerce it to work before deciding to go ahead and pull the trans out. I guess if I had to do that, it would be a good excuse to install a light mass flywheel. Lol
Yeah, I put a light flywheel in ours. Personally I love it, but you'll lose 1-2mpg, fyi. So we thought the clutch was operating good too by watching movement. Couldnt tell something was wrong until you drove the car. I recommend going with a steel braided line anyways. Clutch feels so much more consistent

·
Registered
412 Posts
For anyone interested, I made a couple few second vids showing what I mean. I'll try to attach them here. In the second one, the lines from the shifter to the little mechanism thing on the trans have been disconnected to rule out shifter issues.

https://youtu.be/G8zGyDW-yis
https://youtu.be/ZdioAn9-yLw
For sure what you have going on is not a clutch issue anyways. I may not have specified in my first post, but if you cant put it into gear while the engine is off, then like I said, more than likely a synchro assembly problem. I still think your best option is to open the transmission and see whats going on inside.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
For sure what you have going on is not a clutch issue anyways. I may not have specified in my first post, but if you cant put it into gear while the engine is off, then like I said, more than likely a synchro assembly problem. I still think your best option is to open the transmission and see whats going on inside.
Yeah, you're probably right. That's what I was leaning towards at this point too. Maybe I'll drop the trans before this semester starts and take it apart while at uni, lol. I've never pulled a trans before, especially not from a transverse style. Hopefully its not too bad. Do you think trying to fix this trans is a better idea than just buying a used one and putting it in?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts