Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
Yeah, you're probably right. That's what I was leaning towards at this point too. Maybe I'll drop the trans before this semester starts and take it apart while at uni, lol. I've never pulled a trans before, especially not from a transverse style. Hopefully its not too bad. Do you think trying to fix this trans is a better idea than just buying a used one and putting it in?
Also it would be cheaper and easier to put a used 6 speed in there's a pick a part place in Fredericksburg I know chesterfield auto parts don't have one they only have a 5 speed tiburon

·
Registered
403 Posts
Also it would be cheaper and easier to put a used 6 speed in there's a pick a part place in Fredericksburg I know chesterfield auto parts don't have one they only have a 5 speed tiburon
Agreed, cheaper and easier.

Only reason i suggest rebuilding one is because of third gear synchros always going out, plus the opportunity to put in a helical LSD to stop the god awful torque steer with the v6 in these cars.

·
Registered
363 Posts
oh no way really?? Thats dope which part? I'm in midlothian

Also do you know what the place in Fredericksburg is called? Figures CAP wouldn't have many tib parts lol
Yeah I literally just pulled the v6 engine out of the 5 speed tiburon tiburon at cap lol 88k miles perfect for boost. And I work on midlothian at Hyundai but live in the west end of henrico

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Yeah I literally just pulled the v6 engine out of the 5 speed tiburon tiburon at cap lol 88k miles perfect for boost. And I work on midlothian at Hyundai but live in the west end of henrico
Oh dang no way man, I think I've been there a couple times for fluids. Hopefully I can find a 6 speed somewhere around here. I'm also considering a basic FI build, really just want to break 200 whp. Might be a good time to install stuff while the trans is out lol

·
Registered
363 Posts
Oh dang no way man, I think I've been there a couple times for fluids. Hopefully I can find a 6 speed somewhere around here. I'm also considering a basic FI build, really just want to break 200 whp. Might be a good time to install stuff while the trans is out lol
And or install a lsd when you get a new trans before you re install it. I have a spare 6 sped waiting to go in my car that I installed a lsd because my current trans is on its way out 1st gear syncro is give so it grinds when you put it in first and the trans makes a clucking noise with the car in neutral and the clutch engaged. But to pass 200whp the easy way is to get a cold air intake, headers and a full exhaust, then possibly spray the car with a 75 shot of nitrous, and get cams all that would put you in the high 250 ish whp

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
beware of "lsd inserts" they will eventually grenade the gears in the diff. always go for a diff that's designed from the beginning as an LSD, like a helical/torsen, etc. I think there was something about a nissan sentra se-r 6-speed LSD that would be useable in tiburon 6 speed gearboxes, but don't quote me on that.

·
Registered
363 Posts
beware of "lsd inserts" they will eventually grenade the gears in the diff. always go for a diff that's designed from the beginning as an LSD, like a helical/torsen, etc. I think there was something about a nissan sentra se-r 6-speed LSD that would be useable in tiburon 6 speed gearboxes, but don't quote me on that.
I have a obx lsd

·
Registered
403 Posts
Yeah OBX still sells a helical LSD for the 6spd.

HOWEVER the belleville washers are absolute garbage in those things. As soon as you get the brand new part, rebuild it with quality parts.

Check this link OBX_LSD Products

Its been posted in these forums before. I confirmed the information in that link when i got mine. Washers were already cracked and trashed brand new.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Yeah OBX still sells a helical LSD for the 6spd.

HOWEVER the belleville washers are absolute garbage in those things. As soon as you get the brand new part, rebuild it with quality parts.

Check this link OBX_LSD Products

Its been posted in these forums before. I confirmed the information in that link when i got mine. Washers were already cracked and trashed brand new.
Exactly what I did it mine new waters ans bolts and the old waters where super thin and brittle I could break it with 2 plyers by bending it with little effort, the new ones where almost impossible to bend even in a vise ans a with a hammer I could get it to bend slightly but was was to break

21 - 31 of 31 Posts