Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is for mounting fog lights to the frame of your car if you have the Hana Bumper.

My lights had already been mounted by the shop so I have included (to the best of my ability) a couple of pics and a few pointers from taking measurements on the mounting portion. Make sure when your foglights are turned on that the solid line of light is horizontal and not vertical (the solid black cap should be on the top and the adjustment screw is on the bottom).

Tools Needed (this is for the install. You made need different tools for the bumper removal):
3/8 extensions (if necessary)
9mm driver
3/8 Ratchet
Vice Grips with a long nose end (preferable)
Flat Head Screwdriver
Strapping for deck work (metal piece you will be using as brace) at home depot for like $2
8-32/1inch screws (4) #8 flat washer (16) #8 locking washer (8) #8 lock nut (4)
Bench Vice (not necessary, but helps a lot)

Step One:
Open hood and remove headlights. Three screws holding the headlight in place. The third is under the radiator plastic cover deal. Once headlights are removed place them aside and out of the way. If you have HID wiring hooked up and can't disconnect them place the lights on the top of the engine out of the way.

For the following steps you may want to remove the bumper or if you are skilled enough and can get a drill in the tight spots then dont' remove it. Its up to you.

Step Two:
On the frame of the car closest to the tow hook is where you are going to make your first drill hole. Make a mark that is 3 and 7/8 inch from the bottom of the frame to the designated mark and this will be your first mounting hole.

Step Three:
Before you mount the fog light bracket in this location make sure you have tightened the two screws holding the bracket to the fog light super tight so as not to move the light up and down once it is in place. Once you have made this hole, take a screw and a nut and fasten the fog light bracket to this location. Before you tighten the screw and nut down all the way, make sure the fog light is aimed to the location you wish for it to shine when they are activated.

Step Four:
After you have the foglight to where you would like it to shine then go ahead and tighten down the screw and nut to make sure it will not move when you have it on the frame.

If you decided to take your bumper off for steps 1 - 3 then go ahead and reattach it now before continuing.

Step Five:
Take your strapping

and place in a bench vice and bend it about 1 inch from the bottom edge to make a 90 degree angle.

If you can't find the one I have picture then you can get a solid piece and make your own holes.

Step Six:
After you have bent the metal piece line it up with the bracket (show in red). This bracket goes past what you see, it is just covered up by the new bracket.

Make a mark on the strapping as best as possible and as close as possible to the hole that I have my screw and washers through (the ones not circled in red). This will be your drilling point into the strapping. Drill out a hole and make it an elongated one to account for adjustments such as sliding the piece to make fitment easier

Step Seven:
From the non-bent end make a line about 5 1/2 inches from the top. Place strapping in bench vice and tighten down to secure in place. Then take a pair of vice grips and place about half way between the freshly made line and the bench vice. Clamp down the vice grips on the strapping and twist counter clockwise make small movements. Do not get overly excited when twisting as you may have to twist in reverse to undo any over twisting. Once you think you have the strapping twisted to the point that it will fit flush with the other side of the foglight bracket is when you need to stop twisting and start mounting. If it is not flush then keep working at it.

Step Eight:
After it sits flush with the bracket go ahead and line it up with the pre-drilled hole in the fog light bracket (the non-mounted side). Make a mark, this is where you will drill another hole for the upper end of the mounting. I also made this hole elongated as you can see in the image, this is for adjustments as needed during the mounting stage. After you have drilled out a hole then I suggest you file down the inside for a cleaner gap.

Step Nine:
After all the drilling is done you will need to head to your local hardware store and pick a few things. I went to ACE Hardware since it is down the street. You will 8-32/1 inch screws (4 of them), #8 flat washers (16 of them), #8 Locking Washers (8 of them), and #8 Lock Nut (4 of them). You will construct your set up as follows: Screw, washer, lock washer, washer, (strapping), washer, lock washer, washer, lock nut.

Picture of a Lock Nut if you do not know what it is (it has the rubber inside the nut)

Step Ten:
Once you have your supplies you will need to attach them to the strapping. One at the bottom of bumper and the other on the non-mounted fog light bracket. This where the 9mm will come in to play. I suggest you get as many extensions as possible to make the tightening process easier, but if you can finagle a way into the tight spot and do it another way then by all means go for it.

Step Eleven:
The side you see in the pictures is for the passenger side of the car. The driver side is just a tad bit off on measurements, but will follow the same procedure as the one described above.

Once you have everything tightened down and secure this will give your foglight a home and an even more secure one at that. Feel free to expand upon the bracketing system and create your own design or add extra braces for more support. Each car is different as is each mounting spot and the available room. Please inspect your fog light area and do some thinking before buying parts. My DIY is merely a jumping off point to help people with the Hana Bumper in the right direction.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Re: DIY: Hana Bumper Fog Light Mount and Brace

hey just a question....why didn''t you just drill the lower bracket into the frame aswell? was there any advantage to mounting to the bumper??

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

hey just a question....why didn''t you just drill the lower bracket into the frame aswell? was there any advantage to mounting to the bumper??
I believe it was a better spot for the mounting process. I did not have a frame to mount the opposite side of the fog bracket to. The washer fluid reservoir and CAI filter are both taking up the empty spaces down in the side openings of the bumper. I am soon to remove the washer fluid reservior since I do not have my washer nozzles hooked up to my hood.

·
Nick-Yes, I have boost!
3,317 Posts

Can you please include some "final product" photographs of how it looks from the front and maybe 3/4?

Great work and idea!

·
Registered
1,527 Posts

Does anyone who has done this have final pics of the install? like of how they look through the hana and a better pic of how they are hooked up?

·
Registered
343 Posts
Do not bump old threads please, read them but do not reply to them

1 - 7 of 7 Posts