Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I bought a used '07, and the headlights are really poor. The high beams seems fine, but the low beam are reallly bad. Each light seem to focus more on a 3 feet wide beam in the road, instead of an even spread.

Strangely enough, the car passes state inspections, but I suspect they only check if the light is adjusted too high (they put some mirror thing in front of the headlights during the inspection).

Anyone know what may cause this? Since it's on both sides, I can't imaging it's the bulb itself? The bulb is a Phillips H7 55W
I read here it's supposed to be a H11 for 2007+ models - but my car is Europe spec, maybe that's why it's H7? Because I assume H11 won't fit in a H7 socket?

The condition of the outside plastic looked pretty bad, so I sanded and polished it using a 3M kit, and now they look great, but it made absolutely no difference in lighting... Of course, I haven't polished the inside (guess there's no easy way to open it), but considering the outside, which looked bad, didn't make any difference, I don't think it will make a huge difference if I sand the inside.

I read this post, and he could be onto something, but how can I know which bulb will fit correctly? Headlights not bright enough

I didn't have a photo of it lighting up a road on hand, but here's a photo from when I tried to adjust them. Not sure if this looks right?

Road surface Wood Shade Rectangle Asphalt

·
Registered
812 Posts
Wow, that looks really terrible. I had an 07 & didn't have any issues with the lights.
Looks like the USDM models have H11 for the high beam & H7 for the low beams, in contrast to the 03-06 models that had H7 for both. not sure if this matches the europ spec, but I'm not sure why they would change it.

I'm guessing someone either got the year wrong & bought the wrong bulb, or replaced the low beam when trying to fix the high beam (this happens more often than you'd think).

Edit: I remember now that my first tiburom (06) actually had a similar issue when I first bought it. it was missing the retaining clip all together & the bulb was just kind of sitting in the housing. the beam can get really messed up if the bulb isn't sitting exactly right.

Edit, the sequel: Actually, my 02 outback had the same issue with the high beam when I bought that too, someone installed the light with one of the edges out of the grooves. It also had a really terrible light pattern, although that was was a reflector housing.

·
Registered
177 Posts
My headlights suck too I use the fogs as well. In my state you can have up to 4 low beams on.

I do think a lot has to do with the bulb however I got the cheapest replacements which is that weak yellow if I were you id get some super white ones and if you're still having a hard time then id look into things.

Also yeah what they said above is correct there should be a clip on the back of the headlight to help it stay in place. But at least with my 03 the bulbs themselves just suck imo not very bright HID, led basically any other type of bulb steamrolls ours.

·
Administrator
9,204 Posts
They have what I refer to as a "European beam pattern" where left of center is a horizontal top line and right of center rises to the right.
This keeps lighting sorta out of oncoming traffic eyes but lights the right side of the road for signs, etc.

Now, you may have issues like wrong bulbs, incorrectly installed bulbs, missing bulb retainers, etc.

With that beam pattern, I set the "top line break" dead center on the headlight (not aimed to the right a bit) and the flat horizontal about same height or a tiny bit lower than center. Adjust as required.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Question?… is the 07 you have the GT model or the GS?.. Reason I ask is, I have 07 GS and from your picture i had the same situation when i purchase brand new head lights from sharkracing… the high beam worked perfectly and like yours in the pic the low beam illumination pattern looked the same .. and for life of me i could not figure it out for a few years and i left it alone even after i converted them to HiDs and end up going straight leds… Fast forward if you have the GS you can actually raise the light pattern to go up to where it will illuminate the road at night and how ever far your low beam projects .. If i remember correctly it’s one of screws the also raises up the high beam.. it’s how i solved my low beam issue on my GS as for the GT i have no clue … good luck

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
Question?… is the 07 you have the GT model or the GS?.. Reason I ask is, I have 07 GS and from your picture i had the same situation when i purchase brand new head lights from sharkracing… the high beam worked perfectly and like yours in the pic the low beam illumination pattern looked the same .. and for life of me i could not figure it out for a few years and i left it alone even after i converted them to HiDs and end up going straight leds… Fast forward if you have the GS you can actually raise the light pattern to go up to where it will illuminate the road at night and how ever far your low beam projects .. If i remember correctly it’s one of screws the also raises up the high beam.. it’s how i solved my low beam issue on my GS as for the GT i have no clue … good luck
No difference in lighting between the two. Both have height adjustments. On my 07 GT I put in some LED bulbs and even at max height they're not quite high enough, but I get by. Not sure why the halogens look higher than the LEDs, but oh well.

·
Registered
63 Posts
No difference in lighting between the two. Both have height adjustments. On my 07 GT I put in some LED bulbs and even at max height they're not quite high enough, but I get by. Not sure why the halogens look higher than the LEDs, but oh well.
I currently have the LEDS and they just spread out instead of projecting farther out like HIDS.. just like you i just get by with them and last longer.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for all the replies guys! I replaced the bulb on left side (right side entire housing needs to come out to replace :rolleyes:). The bulb is this OSRAM H7 which promised 100% more brightness, and blue/white. To be honest I don't see any difference in brightness or color at all. But there is a difference in light spread - like I mentioned both lights previously seemed to have a very clear focus point in the beam on the ground not far in front of my car. With the new light, this focus point is gone at the left side, meaning a more even spread (but no obvious increase in brightness).

I'm removing the right headlight to replace the bulb, and will sand it again, and take some photos for you to see.

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts