Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

· Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wife has a 2008 SE model. Been dealing with a leak. Passenger rear floor had been getting soaked in heavy rain. I pulled the headliner and found the rear passenger side sunroof drain hose was completely off. I blew out all 4 drain hoses then reconnected and zip tied back in place. Had a lil white mold looking stuf on the bottom side of the headliner so took care of that and reinstalled. Had rain this morning and passenger rear floor is wet again. Any thoughts of where it is getting in. I have already replaced the hatch weather stripping as it was also leaking if heavy wind with hard rain. Not sure where the water can be coming from.

· Administrator
9,642 Posts
I never use air to clean roof drains, I use about a 6'/2meter length of "string trimmer" plastic. Heat the end a bit so not sharp, then feed it down the drain until through. Remove string, flush with a cup or so of water making sure you see water on the ground under the door hinge or, about midway down rear quarter glass. Compressed air can blow tubes off fittings, high enough pressure can burst a side with a solid clog.

· Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I never use air to clean roof drains, I use about a 6'/2meter length of "string trimmer" plastic. Heat the end a bit so not sharp, then feed it down the drain until through. Remove string, flush with a cup or so of water making sure you see water on the ground under the door hinge or, about midway down rear quarter glass. Compressed air can blow tubes off fittings, high enough pressure can burst a side with a solid clog.
Thanks for the tip but I pulled each hose off their fittings, blew them out, then re attached and secured with zip ties. Still dont know where else it could be leaking from

· Registered
4 Posts
I've been dealing with the same issue. I replaced the windshield and resealed the sunroof. Neither worked. What I ended up doing was I took off the roof garnish at the top of the car (black strips). I had a gap between the windshield and the metal that is under these black strips. I also heard that the metal latches on the roof can have broken welds too. What I did was I used Gasket adhesive, put it around the first 2 metal latches, and filled in the gap between the windshield and the roof metal. So far, so good! Hope this helps!

· Administrator
9,642 Posts
Yep, gotta say, drains are clear, seals are OK on many brands.....get drains done first...

Reactions: Fireful0

· Registered
4 Posts
I think I found the leak. Could it be the seam in the red circle? Looks like seam sealer cracked from bloody flex
Yikes. Yeah, that's not a great sign.
Your leak is in the front passenger though, right?
If so, then this won't be the problem as to water getting to there.
Would it be possible to get a picture of the trim closer to the windshield?

Edit:
Sounds like it is exclusively leaking in the rear. Definitely filled that gap with something and let it dry. Report back your findings!

· Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Passenger rear is the leak. Pulled out the trim panels around the rear quarter window and closed up the car. Hit it hard with the hose and I could see wet on the side edge of the seat. At 1st thought it was the quarter window itself leaking. Then I saw a drop of water fall from the ceiling. Then I concentrated the hose at the top corner of the hatch and could see more drops.

I had a similar issue on my 85 and 86 MR2s years ago. They had removable sunroof. The drain hoses were attached to small steel tube that had flanges on the top end and fitted into the sunroof frame area then sealed. After 20+ years the seem sealer would craxk just enough to let water weep in

· Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Cleaned it, blew it dry, scotch brite scuffed it, lightly, then isopropyl alcohol wipe, dried, applied ultra gray RTV. Car is silver so it doesn't stick out like a turd in a punch bowl. Wife has some Hyundai touch up paint so once it is good and cured I'll apply a lil paint

· Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Car is back together, what a pita. I'm a Toyota guy, MR2 specifically. Hyundai does things differently than most Japanese cars. Takes a lil getting used to how the Koreans build stuff. Not bashing Hyundais, the Japanese do things differently than American and the Germans are different than all of them.

· Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Haven't moved the car out of the garage to test it. It has been wide open in the garage trying to dry out. The cracked seam sealer had to be where it was leaking because the hoses were on tight when I did the final water test. Was was also dripping from the ceiling right around where the crack was at the top of the hatch area.

· Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Sorry, this is the only pic I have. Others have recommended NOT using compressed air to clear the lines. Because mine was leaking so bad I had to pull the headliner anyway. The passenger rear hose was off the tube. I ended up pulling all of them and using compress air, the water, then compressed air again. I believe the disconnected hose was my fault as I believe I used compressed air in the past. Once I reinstalled the hoses I zip tied them all on to make sure they can't come off.
Hood Automotive tire Automotive design Automotive lighting Motor vehicle

1 - 20 of 34 Posts