Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner
21 - 34 of 34 Posts

· Registered
108 Posts
Thanks for the details. So is the only way to get to those drain tubes was to remove the headliner? I was thinking you could snake them (with string trimmer line) from the outside of the car with the sunroof open?

I opened my sunroof one day and took a quick look for the drain holes, but didn't see them. Granted, it was a quick look, but no joy.

· Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Others have explained using trimmer string. When I looked for the drain holes on the roof, I couldn't see 2 of them. Don't remember if they were the fronts or rears. I was pulling the headliner anyway so...

· Administrator
9,632 Posts
Thanks for the details. So is the only way to get to those drain tubes was to remove the headliner? I was thinking you could snake them (with string trimmer line) from the outside of the car with the sunroof open?

I opened my sunroof one day and took a quick look for the drain holes, but didn't see them. Granted, it was a quick look, but no joy.
The drains are stuck into the corners that may be covered by dust/dirt/pollen, etc. I always pour water (a cup or so) down the drains after snaking with string trimmer plastic to verify they work and to flush out any remaining crud.
Use a flashlight to help find the holes, some are under the air deflector found on some cars.
People that park their car with the roof open should check the drains more often since stuff gets into the drains easily.

· Administrator
9,632 Posts
Thanks again guys.

So Charlie, do you have any pics of the holes from the top? Were you able to snake all four from the top-side without pulling the headliner?
No pictures, it was my ex's car and she moved over a year ago. I have no acces to a Tib easily, but yes, I snake from the top 95% of the time on any brand.
Only time I pulled a headliner for drains was when someone used shop air to clear and blew off a joint by the dash. The water test found the leak inside the Hummer H2.

· Registered
5,692 Posts
my wifes '07 has what looks like water spots on the headliner. I found tha the seal around the glass was leaking but I think there was more. I need to tak the headliner out and look @ the drains.

The GK is also known for leaks from the hinges on the hatch. the 12mm bolts come loose. check those also.

· Registered
923 Posts
I was battling water leaks for a while (and still have one I can't find) & the body seams were what was leaking on all but one of my leaks so far.

I had each seam in the hatch area and roof rails leaking into the interior, only slightly though. I also had the rear washer sprayer let water in, which then ran down the trim & directly onto the rear seats.

I also have water coming in from the body panels in the spare wheel well, It's dripping down where the two panels are bound together near the latch. It's not suppose to get behind those two panels, as there's holes in them from the factory, so I need to find how it's getting in there.

It's odd, my friend that has an 06 that's completely rusted to hell & back has no water leaks, despite missing huge chunks of his tib's body. Yet, my 04 that's never seen a winter road leaks like crazy. I'm guessing tibs that lived in a hotter climate are probably more likely to develop water leaks.

· Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
The hit climate could theoretically cause the metal to expand and contract more which would effect the seam sealer. The heat would also effect the seam sealer itself, drying it out. The only vehicles I've ever had seam sealer issues with were my to Toyota MR2s. A 1985 and 1986 model. Both were over 20 years old and had over 200,000 miles when they leaked. Both had seam sealer cracks around the drain hose tube where they were fitted into the rest of the body. Never seen leaks like with the Hyundai in other cars

· Registered
5 Posts
Wife has a 2008 SE model. Been dealing with a leak. Passenger rear floor had been getting soaked in heavy rain. I pulled the headliner and found the rear passenger side sunroof drain hose was completely off. I blew out all 4 drain hoses then reconnected and zip tied back in place. Had a lil white mold looking stuf on the bottom side of the headliner so took care of that and reinstalled. Had rain this morning and passenger rear floor is wet again. Any thoughts of where it is getting in. I have already replaced the hatch weather stripping as it was also leaking if heavy wind with hard rain. Not sure where the water can be coming from.
Use electrical tape to seal the seams of the sunroof completely. Leave it like that until you see if it fixes the issue. Should be able to tell with a hose pretty quickly. Worked for me to diagnose an air leak and the tape peels off clean. Good Luck

21 - 34 of 34 Posts