Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hmmm i dont know if i should go 18's or 17s.....i have a blk GT with tein s.tech springs on . 18s with 40series...would they fit? or should i go 17s with 45 series or even 40 series...help....

(more go than show but i want it to look nice!)

·
Banned
434 Posts
depends on exactly what you want to do.

18s will fit. I currently have 18s but i am trading down to 17's because i started to run some HPDE this summer. There will be a lot of benifits for me going to 17s.

so again it pretty much depend on what you are going to do. If you are going to HPDE/autox/drag the car with these wheels i would suggest 17's. if you are just making a street power car then you could go with either but you will see better gains from 17s.

With a drop i think that 17s fill the fenders pretty nicely.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
i say 17's. bigger rims + bigger tires = more weight

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i was thinking either enkei's in bronze (5spoke) or some type of mesh style gloss blk with machined silver lip.............need help there too

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
antiquity said:
but also more grip. and there are 18's made that fit our cars that are as light as 16lbs per wheel.
bigger rims in the sense that he is talking about (diameter) has nothing to do with grip. get some wide lightweight 17's and you'll be set.

·
Banned
434 Posts
xFloggingkylex said:
bigger rims in the sense that he is talking about (diameter) has nothing to do with grip. get some wide lightweight 17's and you'll be set.

more diameter will create a bigger contact patch just like going wider. the key is getting tires with a stiff enough sidewall that you can lower the psi.

·
Banned
1,952 Posts
COOLDRFT said:
17" can fill out tib's fat a**.

the spec of wheels are 17x8j 35 F 17x9J38 R
That car is ridiculous....and really hot.

For anyone that can't realistically have the car that low, and doesn't have super spacers and fender rolling skills, 18's.

I have 18's...and they still pretty much hide in the car. Need some spacers.

·
Still lurks on occasion
6,300 Posts
I say 18x7.5 is the perfect fit for the Tib.....just big enough to fill up fenderwell (top to bottom anyway) and still retain driveability under aggressive circumstances, but as mentioned it depends upon what your goals are for the car....if you're going to be looking into a BBK at some point, or more for show with streetability- then 18's are a good way to go....if you're into drag racing and want to run slicks at the track, then forget the BBK and probably look into some really lightweight 17's.

·
Registered
956 Posts
why not go 18s ...like a 235 for the nice wide grippy tire and make them 235/35/18 to keep the over all diameter (and hence speedometer) relativly the same as stock. My friend went with a 17" tire but went 235?45 (so taller sidwall and tire overall) and honestly i don't like it...it looks like a monster truck...that space should be filled with wheel not tire....unless you are dragging only...but even then you would only need drag tires on the front. and you would prolly want 15" wheels for them anyway.

And BTW a taller side wall does not = more performance.....yes if you let the air out you increase the contact patch but this is true of all tires...you can get a slightly bigger patch with a taller wall by doing this but it really isn't worth it for a street car. No one want s to drive around a low psi wearing out there tires...and the tiner the sidewall the less it can flex, which means better cornering....of course this is to an extent....those paper thin tires are just rediculous...There is a reason why performance cars now all come with low profile tires....It is much better to get a lowprofile wide tire and run a high psi....this is of course assuming that you ever want to drive the car on the street.....if it is a track car only then by all means do as the other guy said and let all the air out on some nice sticky , taller race compound tires....

·
Banned
434 Posts
mcdwf398 said:
why not go 18s ...like a 235 for the nice wide grippy tire and make them 235/35/18 to keep the over all diameter (and hence speedometer) relativly the same as stock. My friend went with a 17" tire but went 235?45 (so taller sidwall and tire overall) and honestly i don't like it...it looks like a monster truck...that space should be filled with wheel not tire....unless you are dragging only...but even then you would only need drag tires on the front. and you would prolly want 15" wheels for them anyway.

And BTW a taller side wall does not = more performance.....yes if you let the air out you increase the contact patch but this is true of all tires...you can get a slightly bigger patch with a taller wall by doing this but it really isn't worth it for a street car. No one want s to drive around a low psi wearing out there tires...and the tiner the sidewall the less it can flex, which means better cornering....of course this is to an extent....those paper thin tires are just rediculous...There is a reason why performance cars now all come with low profile tires....It is much better to get a lowprofile wide tire and run a high psi....this is of course assuming that you ever want to drive the car on the street.....if it is a track car only then by all means do as the other guy said and let all the air out on some nice sticky , taller race compound tires....
just one thing i didnt mean taller sidewalls. i meant stiffer. something like a hankook ventus rs2 in the sizes i was looking at run around a 94 load measure while something like a kumho MX was running 88.

in the HPDE i do you usually have to up the psi to keep from rolling over onto the sidewall. but that also takes away grip the higher you go and makes them get greasy when they get hot. If you can get something with a strong enough sidewall to keep you from rolling over at a lower psi you will have a cooler tire that has better constant contact with the road and give you better traction later in the session.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts