Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure if any of you I4 guy's have been following this thead too closely
http://www.newtiburon.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1559424#post1559424
I did manage to sneak in a question to david about how high of HP the I4's are gettin over there in korea. his answer was;

"I4 Beta engines cover around 180-190hp at the wheels when street driven. And that is WITHOUT the 4 throttle setup.

However due to the displacement, TQ is still low compared to V6 engines that is why still MOST of people go forced induction for I4 engines.

TM"

So to finally end the "is it possible to reach 200 HP N/A" theads.
the answer is probably not on pump gas. korea gets 100 octane gas.
180 or 190 with ITB's on the other hand may not be too far out there.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
I8acobra hit 152hp/135tq without swapping to high compression pistons.

We've known it wasn't possible to hit 200whp since the first gen came out.

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
190hp for a 2.0 4-cylinder is really nice.

·
Registered
3 Posts
well i would'nt say thats all that great its not bad. but my boy friends GS-R puts out 175 hp stock and thats a 1.8L. when i bought this 2.0L i thought id be getting a little more for my money. other than that no complaints on the car. just to slow!

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
Yep, that's what honda does. I'm sure if they raised the rev limited to 9k or so like K20's...They'd be able to break the 200whp barrier.

·
Registered
443 Posts
krnxwestsider said:
i think if somehow the rev limiter can be raised.. all is possible to break that 200whp..
thats right111!!!!111 all you have to to is be making 130 ft lbs of torque at 8000rpm!

hahahaha
just dont lett off the throttle when you shift and pray that your con rods survive! good luck getting the beta to breathe at 8,000 without spending more on the engine than you paid for your car.

btw, why is your car smoking so badly in that youtube vid? where did you put the seafoam?

·
Banned
93 Posts
xlilchicoxx said:
Yep, that's what honda does. I'm sure if they raised the rev limited to 9k or so like K20's...They'd be able to break the 200whp barrier.

why would you think a raised rev limit would help the beta make better power?

Its power already drops off past 6k. To get it to breath well enough to make use of the stock rev limiter you need to do a port job on the head and a good one with new valves, valve guides springs and retainers is going to run you a few grand. Very close to the cost a bolt on turbo kit that will make more than 200whp will cost you.

I guess if you got 10 grand to dump into 80whp over stock be my guest. I know if I had that kind of cash to toss around I would be putting a down payment on what everyone on this site drools over....RWD, double wishbone and more than 200 stock horses.

·
Registered
450 Posts
iLoveScotch said:
why would you think a raised rev limit would help the beta make better power?

Its power already drops off past 6k.

that's why higher lift cam shaft exist :3_vliegen

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
iLoveScotch said:
That is still only going to be so effective untill the head itself is capable of moving more air through it.
of course other things are going to need to be modified. I didn't say it was just a simple rev limiter increase and bam you're there. One would need to do the necessary side steps. I was just saying the k20 uses that technique.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
NeoXr said:
Sorry to bring this up again but this seems to be the right thread for it :3_wink:
There´s some Canadian guy who claims to have 225hp from a beta2 with this setup. It´s a a bit of a overkill but it´s NA.
http://www.clubaccentquebec.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12380&start=0
http://madgsi.monchar.com/
Im also curious but cant read french. can someone please translate. I can see 11,000 rpm and 9,000 rpm.....neither of which seem like a viable red line for our motors. From what i can tell it also looks like he's running wrc camshafts? wouldnt a wrc car be turbo'd????? Danmit im confused. someone freaking translate!!!!!

·
Banned
93 Posts
JDOGG said:
Im also curious but cant read french. can someone please translate. I can see 11,000 rpm and 9,000 rpm.....neither of which seem like a viable red line for our motors. From what i can tell it also looks like he's running wrc camshafts? wouldnt a wrc car be turbo'd????? Danmit im confused. someone freaking translate!!!!!

the 11,000+, from what i can tell, is the cranksaft is able to spin that high because it has been balanced and probably kneif edged and polished. But i agree, lets get that thing translated. I would guess this guy has to be running higer compression but them i have to ask where is he getting his high octane fuel at? I dont see this as a possible daily street setup.

And i know there is the argument of being different but i have to ask...why not spend ~4grand on a turbo setup and have roughly the same power, be 90% bolt on, no rebuilding of the top or bottom of the motor and with a little dilligance could be 100% running in a weekend of work?

You could make the beatII spin to 9000 if you modded it properly. Balanced rotating assembly is a good place to start. Entirely new valvetrain is another and then a better oiling system would be a must at those kind of RPM's

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
From what i can tell he's got 11.6:1 compression
Billet shot peened rod's
A lightweight crank good for 11,000 rpm
Fidanza flywheel
Perfect power stand alone ecu
His head is ported and shaved .040
Twin throttle bodies......danm
2.5 inch exhaust
Obx pully's
and fidanza camgear
That's all guessing cuz i cant read french

·
Registered
443 Posts
iLoveScotch said:
the 11,000+, from what i can tell, is the cranksaft is able to spin that high because it has been balanced and probably kneif edged and polished. But i agree, lets get that thing translated. I would guess this guy has to be running higer compression but them i have to ask where is he getting his high octane fuel at? I dont see this as a possible daily street setup.

And i know there is the argument of being different but i have to ask...why not spend ~4grand on a turbo setup and have roughly the same power, be 90% bolt on, no rebuilding of the top or bottom of the motor and with a little dilligance could be 100% running in a weekend of work?

You could make the beatII spin to 9000 if you modded it properly. Balanced rotating assembly is a good place to start. Entirely new valvetrain is another and then a better oiling system would be a must at those kind of RPM's
making a beta spin to 9,000 and make power naturally aspirated just isnt happening on a (reliable/practical) street setup. the fact that it has a long stroke and relatively short rods will make it difficult for the engine to breathe at those RPM.

it might seriously be cheaper to swap in a honda motor than to pursue a NA hyundai.

I think that perhaps with slightly higher compression, cams, a new IM, a good header and maybe a little headwork, you could see 160whp or so...but since there arent really any cams for a reasonable price, you're going to be spending alot of money.

or you can buy a basic alpine turbo setup and all of the accessories for about the same amount of money and be laying down alot more power....or custom make a setup.

·
Banned
93 Posts
tharptroy said:
making a beta spin to 9,000 and make power naturally aspirated just isnt happening on a (reliable/practical) street setup. the fact that it has a long stroke and relatively short rods will make it difficult for the engine to breathe at those RPM.

it might seriously be cheaper to swap in a honda motor than to pursue a NA hyundai.

I think that perhaps with slightly higher compression, cams, a new IM, a good header and maybe a little headwork, you could see 160whp or so...but since there arent really any cams for a reasonable price, you're going to be spending alot of money.

or you can buy a basic alpine turbo setup and all of the accessories for about the same amount of money and be laying down alot more power....or custom make a setup.
I will not speculate to the streetability or how good a daily driver it is, you would need to run high octane gas to make it work with high compression.

I do agree with you that it would not be an easy task to make n/a power on a 9000rpm beta, however, if you look i am not saying i am going to try to do it, it is already being done. Follow the link to the canadian guys car that arleady has it.

And as for the 160whp claim i would be very intersted in seeing the actual dyno of the 225whp as i think that may be a stretch but you can get ~140-150whp out of a betaII with i/h/e, pullies, a light flywheel and a fuel tuner(basic bolt ons). head work and cams as well as high compression and a balanced rotatnig assembly would deffinatly net more than 10whp. Depending on your compression, your exact cam profiles, the quality of the head work and the tune i can see around 200hp to the wheels.

That being said if you search for my previous posts both with this s/n and 'antiquity' you will see that i have said numerous times that slapping an alpine or SFR turbo on the thing will be cheaper easier and can be done in a weekend not a year. It would also be much more easily streetable.

·
Registered
3 Posts
You guys do realize that Korea and other countries rate octane gas on a different scale, so 100 octane is probably comparable to our 93. Tuning an extreme N/A application like what your saying is hard, and a standalone is pretty much necessary, especially if your going to spin it that high. ~7300rpm is the highest I've seen a Beta I motor run unbalanced, and I probably wouldn't push more than that.

Turbocharging is cheaper, and because of the radical camshaft profiles needed, will probably make just as much power low down with a small 13G or something similar as a N/A setup. I give props for those that do the work however, but its a tough road with Beta motors.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Just wanted to give you all some information about the Beta. We are the Hyundai Distributors for Panama City, Panama (Central America) and we race our national Championship with a Tiburon 2.0cc N/A with the Beta engine and we have more than 200WHP.

Of course we have spent big bucks developing this engine and we have the best parts from all over the world, Best Camshafts from Korea, Best Rods and Pistons from the USA, Best Suspension (Penske custom made), other internals from USA and England, etc. etc.

We have two engines that we race for the season and one of the engines revs at almost 9,000RPM and the other engine rev's at 8,400RPM.

We have forged custom pistons, forged custom rods, quad throttle body with individual trompets, DTA standalone computer fully programable with individual cylinder setting, fully customize and most advanced Penske suspension, race valve train with special ligthen vales and springs, Fully customized AP Racing calipers, discs with aluminum hubs for front and rear brakes, etc.

The car is the fastest GT3 car right now in the country and it is competing against 3 cars brought from the USA, cars that used to race the SCCA championship, in fact two of the cars won the SCCA with Real Time Racing (Honda Integra) and Tri-point with a Mazda Protege.

As you can see we have a lot of competition but we have managed to bring the tiburon up-front and it is right now the GT3 leader in the country.

The car weights 1,900pounds and it has fiberglass doors, fiberglass hood, front windshield with Lexan, rear window with lexan, quick fill system, etc. etc.

We are in talks with Hyundai to get a new generation engine which is a 2.0cc fully tune for racing and it should be producing 270-280HP to the flywheel with an N/A. engine.

Regards,

Jorge Jurado
Petroautos, S.A.
Hyundai Panama

1 - 20 of 26 Posts