Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I have a 1999 Coupe (or Tiburon as you guys call it) 1.6 litre, and I seem to be having problems when its warm.

The thing is that its running just fine on short trips, but going for longer or even starting it up after a long trip causes slight power loss, making the car feel lazy. There is no stutter, no cough or anything of a kind, there are no warning lights, the only problem with it is that the reverse sensor has failed (which has only to do with the reverse light not working), it just feels plain lazy, its as if it starts to pull warm air from the engine bay... which is ridiculous because it has a snorkel!

There is one little thing - the car twitches in low gear if I put on the throttle too aggressively. Should I be looking for a malfunction here?

·
Administrator
8,782 Posts
Sounds like either a cooling issue (check coolant level) or cooling temp sensor issue which is messing with fueling when it gets warm.

Can you look at LTFT's? Should be within 10.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Coolant is fine, unless I would need to swap it out, but I don't see why yet. And wouldn't a faulty cooling temp sensor cause engine warning lights?

And sorry, I don't have an OBD cable to check out LTFT. You think its going rich because of it? It does seem to eat a bit more gas than what's usual for 1.6, though I always thought other people were bragging and exagerrating their fuel economies, though I seem to do a lot of city driving.

·
Administrator
8,782 Posts
Eventually a bad coolant temp sensor would trip a CEL, but could mess with fueling before that. If the ECU thinks the engine is still cold/cool, it will run rich which sorta sounds like your issue.
Look up a new sensor on RockAuto and see the cost.

I don't know if you have one or 2 sensors. Some cars use a single sensor with 3 wires, a ground and a feed to each of dash gauge and ECU.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well the thing is that its not getting any worse... it even got slightly better. Since I bought the car I've been driving it, not exactly normally, but more like appropriately to a sports car that it is. But recently I have slammed it twice to the rev limiter and eased it back down again, it made the issue less prominent.

I am not exactly mechanically incompetent, but the problem is that the symptoms that the car is producing are confusing and I do not wish to present the car to the mechanic who will start tossing out non-existent problems in order to rack up the bill.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts