Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend of mine needs some help.

He was driving down the road and noticed a severe lack of power. Just after the sudden loss of power, he noticed that the exhaust note became very loud and sounded like it was coming from under the hood.

We removed all catalytic components thinking that it was a clogged exhaust component. But, when we try to turn over the engine, it turns maybe 1 revolution but then locks up. It's almost like there's no compression release.

What would YOU do?

·
Banned
43 Posts
check the gaskets? a similar thing happened with my old geo prism. It got extremely loud under the hood, also a noticeable loss in power. It turned out that I blew a gasket. It would not have that problem turning over though so Im not sure.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
A friend of mine needs some help.

He was driving down the road and noticed a severe lack of power. Just after the sudden loss of power, he noticed that the exhaust note became very loud and sounded like it was coming from under the hood.

We removed all catalytic components thinking that it was a clogged exhaust component. But, when we try to turn over the engine, it turns maybe 1 revolution but then locks up. It's almost like there's no compression release.

What would YOU do?
IF the motor will not tur over correctly... you sir have a mechanical problem...it's time to remove the head and see what the damage is....
You mite want to try removing the valve cover and watching the cams as you turn it over by hand.. also, remove the oil pan and watch the bottom end.... this should give you a good idea as to where the problem is comming from.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
check the gaskets? a similar thing happened with my old geo prism. It got extremely loud under the hood, also a noticeable loss in power. It turned out that I blew a gasket. It would not have that problem turning over though so Im not sure.
Head gasket seems ok. There are no leaks and I dont see and antifreeze in the cylinders or oil

vaccume leak? i had a vaccume leakand my car idled high and was louder
I don't think a vavuum leak would prevent the engine from actually turning over.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
IF the motor will not tur over correctly... you sir have a mechanical problem...it's time to remove the head and see what the damage is....
You mite want to try removing the valve cover and watching the cams as you turn it over by hand.. also, remove the oil pan and watch the bottom end.... this should give you a good idea as to where the problem is comming from.
Sweet. That's what I was afraid of. Poor guy is unemployed.... I'll do what you suggest tonight.

·
Registered
282 Posts
well i would start by checking the timing belt then removing the plugs...... this will allow the air or water (blown head/gaskest) out and should be able to turn but not start. if still having problems then remove the timing belt and go after the cam gears should turn??? watch valve clearance when turning the motor and cam. then go further into the motor

·
Registered
8,087 Posts
my guess is that the timing belt is beyond its 60k mile life and has stretched causing the timing to skip some teeth and the valves to impact the pistons......just a guess....

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
well i would start by checking the timing belt then removing the plugs...... this will allow the air or water (blown head/gaskest) out and should be able to turn but not start. if still having problems then remove the timing belt and go after the cam gears should turn??? watch valve clearance when turning the motor and cam. then go further into the motor
I'll start with the plug removal idea. I know the old plugs that were removed were REALLY black and wet.

Mileage?....
137k miles

my guess is that the timing belt is beyond its 60k mile life and has stretched causing the timing to skip some teeth and the valves to impact the pistons......just a guess....
Would that produce a loss of power over a 2 mile period or would the engine just quit?

·
Registered
8,087 Posts
Please, please don't tell me your friend went 137k miles without changing at least the timing belt. If that is true then that engine is toast without butter.

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
Please, please don't tell me your friend went 137k miles without changing at least the timing belt. If that is true then that engine is toast without butter.
but..but...I like my toast without butter!

If he neglected to do his timing belt....twice over...what else hasn't he kept up on with maintence.

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
oil changes? idk i'm thinking timing belt went and buh bye motor
makes sense to me. That's how the honda died before I got it, cam gear and crank gear are not lined up properly on the motor, but it looks like on this one the tensioner failed.

VALVES ****ED>>>PISTONS GONE>>>NO MORE HYUNDAI.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Pulled the head last night and found damage to the top of the piston and a two bent valves.

Cams were off. Most likely due to timing belt neglect as stated.

Now he's in the market for a replacement engine. I've referred him to car-parts.com

·
Registered
8,087 Posts
Pulled the head last night and found damage to the top of the piston and a two bent valves.

Cams were off. Most likely due to timing belt neglect as stated.

Now he's in the market for a replacement engine. I've referred him to car-parts.com
Man, I must be psychic or something....lol

1 - 20 of 23 Posts