Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
2006 Hyundai Tiburon SE
1,056 Posts
You almost have the correct 0-5v O2 sensors. You will need a known OEM brand such as NTK, Denso or Mando brands. Generic sensors will not work correctly with our Siemens ECUs unfortunately. Even a reputable brand like Bosch will not perform well and often lead to heater circuit CELs. If the pinout differs, this is the first I've heard of it. Can you provide your VIN number? Maybe we can help track down the correct sensor if the connection differs.

I believe your ECU is the Siemens 5WY12 with 2mbit EEPROM variant which is very similar to the Tiburon's 5WY15 variant which requires the titanium style 0-5v sensors.

·
Premium Member
2006 Hyundai Tiburon SE
1,056 Posts
Your VIN number comes back as a 2000 model year, manufactured in 1999:

Date of Manufacture: 19990825
: 2000
Model: DAFGV65
Region: [C51] EUROPE

Interestingly it comes up as a "SPEED DENSITY" car which means you don't have a MAF sensor? This is the first time I've heard of a Delta 2.5L with a MAP sensor so that's a cool find! I've been looking for ECUs from either the 2.5L or 2.7L that were MAP based... Do you have access to any EU spec ECUs with MAP sensors by chance?

[2GB] FUEL PACKAGE(UNLEADED)
[3LA] EVAP. GAS CONTROL EQUIPMENT
[3LC] EMISSION(EC 96 UNLEADED)
[3GY] UNDER COVER-BATTERY
[3AC] BATTERY-68AH
[3NA] SPEED DENSITY

In the US a 1999-2001 Sonata 2.5L would accept the following sensors in the upstream locations of both banks.

(Short pigtails)
NTK 25000
MANDO 18A1404
DENSO 2344431

The downstream sensors are the same sensors but with longer pigtails. On the Tiburon some of the 2mbit cars with 5WY15 ECUs only had two O2 sensors in Korea, Australia and supposedly Germany... One sensor was close to the head of bank2 and the other was further downstream near the catalytic converters. If one sensor has a longer pigtail, try one of the following downstream sensors with the longer pigtail instead for bank1:

(Long pigtails)
NTK 25166
MANDO 18A1403
DENSO 2344432

·
Premium Member
2006 Hyundai Tiburon SE
1,056 Posts
Interesting! I wonder why it claims to be a speed density tune from the VIN number. Maybe that's a mistake on the VIN lookup application and it's actually a mass air tune.

Take a picture of the main label of your ECU. If it says 5WY12 or 5WY15 just below the Siemens logo you will know it requires a 5volt titanium style O2 sensor. The ECUs with 5WY17, 5WY18 or 5WY1F on the label will require 1volt zirconium O2 sensors. Here's an example of the Tiburon 5WY15 and 5WY17 labels:
Rectangle Font Parallel Magenta Brand
Rectangle Font Parallel Magenta Slope

I don't believe there is a difference in the harness connector so they're easy to confuse.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts