Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright everyone I know you probably all know the story behind my car. It was wrecked pretty bad, I rebuilt it, and now I'm daily driving it again. I took it to a meet yesterday and on the way home my oil pressure light started flickering at idle. Now I have read some posts on the forum that say it could be a bad oil pressure switch or relief valve, but what I want to know is IF it actually is the oil pump, how do I go about changing it. I looked up the job on ProDemand and it just basically says I need to remove the upper oil pan and oil filter bracket, then the pump should come off. I'm VERY skeptical about it being that simple. I know the oil pump is driven by the crankshaft, so that means that the timing system has to come apart, right? I'm really just looking for some extra knowledge from anyone who has done the pump on the 2.7 before. What's the procedure?
Thanks

·
Super Moderator
8,681 Posts
First step....make sure oil level is correct as well as rating......
Next cheapest, is to use a pipe T with a known mechanical gauge, compare readings.

Oil pumps don't normally fail unless really dirty oil. They run in engine oil, thus, minimum wear.
Crap oil, low oil, cracked oil pickup, etc. are more likely.
You NEED to verify pressure.......period......

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
First step....make sure oil level is correct as well as rating......
Next cheapest, is to use a pipe T with a known mechanical gauge, compare readings.

Oil pumps don't normally fail unless really dirty oil. They run in engine oil, thus, minimum wear.
Crap oil, low oil, cracked oil pickup, etc. are more likely.
You NEED to verify pressure.......period......
I checked the oil level when the light came on. It was slightly low, but just barely. It was above the low line still. I had just done the oil pan gasket and replaced the oil about a week prior and I did it with Castrol Edge 10w-30 synthetic. It's same oil I've always run in my engine and I've never had an issue. I'll try to get an oil pressure gauge home this weekend and test it. There really isn't any reason I can think of that the pump would have gone bad on me. I've kept up on my oil changes and made sure I'm using good quality oil. So I'm guessing that it's gonna be a clogged pickup or the pressure switch.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm thinking I might just buy an oil pressure gauge to mount in the car so I can monitor the pressure myself. Does anyone know offhand what the thread size is for the oil pressure switch? Or if that is the best place to mount an aftermarket pressure sending unit?

·
Registered
8,088 Posts
Thread is 1/8" BSP

Oil pumps can go bad if the pickup screen is clogged and/or the housing gets too scored to maintain pressure. I'm guessing if you don't hear lifter tick or other bad noises then its probably just the pressure switch.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thread is 1/8" BSP

Oil pumps can go bad if the pickup screen is clogged and/or the housing gets too scored to maintain pressure. I'm guessing if you don't hear lifter tick or other bad noises then its probably just the pressure switch.
Yeah no lifter tick, no knocking. I was pretty confused as to why it came on at first. Now what is the difference between "NPT" and "BSP" threads? It seems that all aftermarket gauges and sending units come with 1/8" NPT threads. Are they the same? Or would I need some sort of adapter?

·
Super Moderator
8,681 Posts
Yeah no lifter tick, no knocking. I was pretty confused as to why it came on at first. Now what is the difference between "NPT" and "BSP" threads? It seems that all aftermarket gauges and sending units come with 1/8" NPT threads. Are they the same? Or would I need some sort of adapter?
They are similar enough to work.
NPT and BSP are different......in a pinch they can swap.....but I wouldn't.
There are adaptors to make it work better.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
NPT and BSP are different......in a pinch they can swap.....but I wouldn't.
There are adaptors to make it work better.
They are similar enough to work.
I've heard conflicting opinions in my research so far. Most other sources say that the universal industry standard is 1/8" NPT. I'll get an adapter just in case. I can always send it back. If I replace the stock pressure switch with an aftermarket pressure sensor, will the pressure light get stuck on? or will it stay off? I've never done one before, so this is new territory to me. I assume it would stay on because it won't sense anything?

·
Super Moderator
8,681 Posts
I have bought BSP parts from McMasterCarr. Usually a short nipple and a T plus an adaptor. These parts replace the OEM switch, then you can have the original and your sending unit.

Yes, removing the switch would keep your dash light on.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have bought BSP parts from McMasterCarr. Usually a short nipple and a T plus an adaptor. These parts replace the OEM switch, then you can have the original and your sending unit.

Yes, removing the switch would keep your dash light on.
could you link those bits? I'll order them with the gauge and I'll get a new oem switch too.

·
Registered
8,088 Posts
Removing the oem switch will not trigger the light. The switch completes the ground when pressure is low and that turns on the light. No switch equals no ground so no light.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Removing the oem switch will not trigger the light. The switch completes the ground when pressure is low and that turns on the light. No switch equals no ground so no light.
This is good to know. I'll be installing the gauge on Wednesday, so if that's the case I'll just delete the switch. The switch tested bad anyway

1 - 13 of 13 Posts