Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Slortchus Maximus Non-Adminus
7,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Coutesy of OZTuscani

This DIY will cover removing the stock Throttle Body (TB) & reinstalling it or replacing it with a BBTB (Big Bore Throttle Body).

Tools Needed:

Pliers
Phillips Screwdriver
12mm Socket, Ratchet, & Short Extension
10mm Wrench
Rags and/or disposable cup

THROTTLE BODY REMOVAL

It never hurts to disconnect the battery, the 10mm wrench is all you need to remove the negative terminal.

First you want to remove the stock air intake from the throttle body. These instructions will work for the AOS or stock style intake which retains the flex-pipe. Any other type of aftermarket intakes MAY need to be removed completely.

Using a Phillips screwdriver, loosen the clamps (on the flex pipe) at the TB and just after the MAF sensor. Unhook the vacuum hose from the flex-pipe and then you can lift the whole flex-pipe out.

Now you have a little more room to work. Next you want to remove the throttle cable and cruise control cable from the linkage attached to the TB. While pushing the throttle arm down (open position) you can get enough slack in the cable to easily remove them (they just pop out).

Unplug both wire harnesses (A, B) attached to the TB by pressing in the metal retaining clip while pushing down.

Using a pair of pliers to crimp the clamp, vacuum hose (C) from the top of the TB. Use caution you may need to clamp the line.

Now take the socket wrench with the 12mm socket (and extension if needed) and remove the 2 bolts, & 2 nuts holding the TB to the intake manifold. Each bolt & nut has a lock-washer so be sure you do not lose them. The bottom bolt and nut also support a mounting bracket for the fuel line. When you pull the TB off, the bracket will come with it.

With the TB loose now, you can easily get to the 2 coolant lines attached to the bottom of the throttle body. Just crimp the clamps and pull the hoses off., keep a rag or cup handy to catch any antifreeze that may spill from them.

Inspect the gasket between the TB & intake manifold, if there are no tears or defects you should be able to reuse it with no problems. If you are unsure, just replace it.

REINSTALLATION

Make sure the gasket is reinstalled. If you are installing a BBTB (or onto a ported intake), you will want to modify the gasket slightly. This is easy, just place the gasket onto the TB or intake and you can trace a line or just remember the difference in diameter. Lay the gasket onto a protected surface. Using a sharp knife carefully trim, enlarging the inside diameter of the gasket.

Now while sliding the TB back onto the 2 studs, slip the left hole in the fuel line mounting bracket over the bottom left stud of the intake manifold. Using your 12mm socket and wrench reattach the 2 bolts (and lock washers) and 2 nuts (and lock washers) that hold the TB to the intake. Make sure the bottom bolt goes through the remaining hole in the fuel line bracket before tightening (Factory Torque is 11-14 lbs/ft).

Using a pair of pliers to crimp the clamp, reconnect the fuel line (1) to the top of the TB. Next, reattach both wire harnesses (2, 3) to the TB.

Now, using the pliers reconnect the 2 coolant lines on the bottom. If you are installing an aftermarket BBTB or prefer to bypass these coolant lines, see here for DIY on this: http://www.newtiburon.com/yabbse/index.php?board=28;action=display;threadid=23041;start=0

Almost done! While pushing the throttle arm down (open position), reconnect the throttle and cruise control cables. Reattach your flex pipe and vacuum hose and tighten both clamps with the Phillips screwdriver. If you have a CAI other than the AOS, the flex pipe will obviously not be used. Once you are done, the finished product should look like this:

Reconnect your battery, start the car and check for any leaks!

Enjoy
-Ryloth

·
Registered
646 Posts
Re: DIY: V6 TB/BBTB Removal & Reinstall

Is the top rear hose really a fuel line? Just curious? By the way, nice write up, good pix. Very clear DIY. Props!!!

·
Premium Member
3,006 Posts
Re: DIY: V6 TB/BBTB Removal & Reinstall

Sleasy said:
Is the top rear hose really a fuel line? Just curious? By the way, nice write up, good pix. Very clear DIY. Props!!!
No, that is a vacuum hose for the Evap. canister purge solenoid valve to be exact. :biggrin: Fuel does not get delivered to the throttle body.

·
Premium Member
1,544 Posts
DIY: remove the throtttle body

Here's my take on this. I know it's already been done, but it doesn't hurt to have more pics.

Step 1: Disconnect the battery.

Step 2: Remove the air filter lid.

Step 3: Remove the plastic air intake from the throttle body.

Step 4: Remove the plastic engine cover.

Step 5: Be careful of the wires that go to the fuel injectors. The plastic on them might be brittle, and crumble into little pieces if you touch it.

Step 6: Loosen the top bolt that holds on the throttle body.

Step 7: Remove the other bolts, and the two nuts that hold on the throttle body. Be extra careful not to drop the nuts, or the washers under the nuts and bolts.

·
Premium Member
1,544 Posts
Re: DIY: remove throtttle body

Step 8: Remove the two screws holding on the first electrical widget.

Step 9: Carefully remove the paper gasket under the first electrical widget.

Step 10: Remove the two screws holding on the second electrical widget.

Step 11: Remove the coolant lines.

Step 12: Remove the fuel line.

Step 13: Remove the throttle and cruise control cables. To remove the cables, push the throttle so the cables have some slack, then slip the throttle wire through the little gap.

Step 14: Pull the throttle body away from the intake manifold. Be careful of the bracket that is attached to the front. You will need to re-attach this when you put the throttle body back on.

Step 15: Remove the throttle body gasket.

All done. The throttle body is off now.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Re: DIY: 2.7L TB/BBTB Removal & Reinstall

Whats the name for the first electrical thing you have to remove>>????

·
Registered
60 Posts

Awesome DIY!! Do you have to remove the TB to remove the upper Intake Manifold?? Just seems like you could keep it bolted on? Or is there an access issue with it attached. Changing plugs and wires tomorrow

Thank you

·
Registered
6,608 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts

Not to bump an old thread, but while I took my TB off to clean / replace the PCV and TPS sensors, I also took off the sensor next to the TPS, and ruined the gasket. Any able to help me out with a name / link to that gasket? I looked but my searching skills aren't proving to great for me, lol.

·
Registered
6,608 Posts

It's an IAC gasket.

·
Registered
12 Posts

Sweet DIY worked perfectly!(Side Note: I was not able to disengage the TB cables they had some peg running thru them si i just set the TB aside while working , any tips on how to remove them in the future?)

·
Registered
6,608 Posts

Sweet DIY worked perfectly!(Side Note: I was not able to disengage the TB cables they had some peg running thru them si i just set the TB aside while working , any tips on how to remove them in the future?)
There's a little slot for the cable to come out of.

·
Registered
53 Posts

Anyone want to sell me there old original TB elbow (first picture)?

mine is dry rotted with rip, paypal & usps flat rate box to Az.

its for the '03 2.7

·
Registered
11 Posts
Replaced engine with a 2,5ltr V6 , all i could get , noticed car has a Dictator Engine management system in . The Cams sensors wires has been cut of , gone thrown away when Dictator was installed , also the MAF thingie , not there .

On my TPS is a black plug connected in and on the Idle Air Control is a grey plug ??

When i remove the grey plug the engine revs drops from 1200 to 800 or 1000.

Where did the grey plug go to previously? What is the color of the wires in the plugs for TPS , Idle Air Control plug and the grey plug that is same as TPS and IAC ?They all fit same connectors, same shape size etc.

While all plugs is connected the car drives okay , But when it idles and u kick the gas fast hard in ,the revs drop and it sounds rough , like engine wanne die, NO power and if u were trying to pull away from a stop the car will stall , Let go wait 2-4 seconds for revs to pick up and do it slowly then revs pick up. Whats wrong here ?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts