Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I have an Auto 2001 Tiburon. I've been fighting with some issues on it for the years that I've had it. It was pretty cracked up when I got it and still is, but I do love it.

Gas tank filling problem was caused by a faulty charcoal canister. It used to constantly click the pump off every 4 cents. Made filling a pain in the butt. But it passed inspection in NJ.

Solved the problem by emptying the charcoal canister of all charcoal. It seems that the barrier preventing charcoal from entering the tubes had failed, allowing charcoal to enter and clog ALL of the tubes, and solenoids. I pulled it all out and blew everything out and put it all back together. After a few times doing this to get any remains, now I had a car that was great, could fill its gas tank in one shot, but then the O2 sensor, after the cat, failed. Fine, replaced that, and then all was well, passed inspection. I don't mind the gas fume smell.

Then recently, I'm getting evap and o2 sensor codes. When the o2 sensor failed, it said 'low voltage'. It was fine for a long time after I replaced it, but now its doing it again. I doubt it's failed so soon, so.. I'm not sure what to do about that. It also appears to be very inconsistent when it fails.

For evap, I'm getting P0455. Gross leak / No flow. For O2, I'm getting (I dont have it right now but I know its low voltage, so it must be P0136)

What's strange is this week, it comes on within 45 minutes of clearing the code. Sometimes it takes a couple weeks, sometimes a couple days, sometimes not even an hour. It's very strange. It alternates between the two. Sometimes the Evap code is gone for a while and the O2 comes up often, sometimes the evap is often and the O2 is gone.

So my question is this: Does anyone have any experience with these issues? I'm going to try and get under the car soon and check the solenoid again. I want to check the wiring for the sensor, does anyone have a wiring diagram for the 01 tiburon? I want to know where I can check the other end of the wiring on the ECU itself, to see if anything is broken or marginal. Due to the same behavior on 2 sensors, I doubt it's the sensor.

I'll try to answer any other questions anyone has, and I'm sorry if this is the wrong section, I'm new here, heh.

EDIT: Also, MY GOD I want to know this. Ever since I've bought the car, it constantly throws a code about 'Gear 4 ratio incorrect' What does that even mean???? Gears cant just have changed their ratios... If it was slip, surely all the gears would slip?? And something would have burned up in the last 50k miles?

·
Registered
92 Posts
So I have an Auto 2001 Tiburon. I've been fighting with some issues on it for the years that I've had it. It was pretty cracked up when I got it and still is, but I do love it.

Gas tank filling problem was caused by a faulty charcoal canister. It used to constantly click the pump off every 4 cents. Made filling a pain in the butt. But it passed inspection in NJ.

Solved the problem by emptying the charcoal canister of all charcoal. It seems that the barrier preventing charcoal from entering the tubes had failed, allowing charcoal to enter and clog ALL of the tubes, and solenoids. I pulled it all out and blew everything out and put it all back together. After a few times doing this to get any remains, now I had a car that was great, could fill its gas tank in one shot, but then the O2 sensor, after the cat, failed. Fine, replaced that, and then all was well, passed inspection. I don't mind the gas fume smell.

Then recently, I'm getting evap and o2 sensor codes. When the o2 sensor failed, it said 'low voltage'. It was fine for a long time after I replaced it, but now its doing it again. I doubt it's failed so soon, so.. I'm not sure what to do about that. It also appears to be very inconsistent when it fails.

For evap, I'm getting P0455. Gross leak / No flow. For O2, I'm getting (I dont have it right now but I know its low voltage, so it must be P0136)

What's strange is this week, it comes on within 45 minutes of clearing the code. Sometimes it takes a couple weeks, sometimes a couple days, sometimes not even an hour. It's very strange. It alternates between the two. Sometimes the Evap code is gone for a while and the O2 comes up often, sometimes the evap is often and the O2 is gone.

So my question is this: Does anyone have any experience with these issues? I'm going to try and get under the car soon and check the solenoid again. I want to check the wiring for the sensor, does anyone have a wiring diagram for the 01 tiburon? I want to know where I can check the other end of the wiring on the ECU itself, to see if anything is broken or marginal. Due to the same behavior on 2 sensors, I doubt it's the sensor.

I'll try to answer any other questions anyone has, and I'm sorry if this is the wrong section, I'm new here, heh.

EDIT: Also, MY GOD I want to know this. Ever since I've bought the car, it constantly throws a code about 'Gear 4 ratio incorrect' What does that even mean???? Gears cant just have changed their ratios... If it was slip, surely all the gears would slip?? And something would have burned up in the last 50k miles?

Don't really know about US spec for EVAP but European Tibs have two canister.
One is in the tank, the charcoal canister you replaced.
The other is just below the throttle body.

It's a valve canister, that manage evap flow by a electrical switch.
You should try it, normally, when you put 12v and Ground on it (be sure of the polarity), a click may sound.
Then, try to put some air flow (use a hose, take a great breath, and blow in it) while switching with 12v and Ground, normally, when there is no current, no air noise can be heared and u can't be able to blow.

For the No Flow, some charcoal residues can travel in the hose that come from the carchoal canister in the fuel tank and clog it.

O2 sensor malfuntion can occur when EVAP system is not working correctly

1 - 3 of 3 Posts