Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi! Just bought a 2001 tiburon last week and is fixing up the issues.

I took it to the American Tire Depot today to get new tires ($275 for 4) and they found that the front struts are leaking (~$600 fix) and that the valve cover gasket is leaking engine oil ($219 fix).

I did a quick Google search and I think I can probably change the valve cover gasket myself by buying this part on Ebay:

ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2380057.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.X2001+tiburon+valve+gasket+cover.TRS1&_nkw=2001+tiburon+valve+gasket+cover&_sacat=0"]2001 Tiburon Valve Cover Gasket

The bolts on the engine cover look like standard hex bolts. Is this DIY-able? What about the struts?

Thanks.

·
Registered
517 Posts
This video would be helpful: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IfPZKWZ9wAA

Buy the OEM part: GENUINE NEW HYUNDAI 2000-2003 TIBURON 2.0L ENGINE VALVE COVER GASKET 22441-23500 | eBay

or w/ Spark Plug seals: Valve Cover Gasket Set Fits 96-03 Hyundai Elantra Tiburon OEM 22441-23500

For the struts, try to find the complete struts(not sure if they made one), it would be much easier.

For bare struts, find a shop that will compress springs and transfer to new struts. if you're gonna go DIY route, get help from some friends or a fellow newtiburon members :)
RockAuto has good options for struts (not complete, go with KYBs). You'll probably also need 2 stabilizer bar links: AUTO 7 8430147 on RockAuto.

2001 HYUNDAI TIBURON 2.0L L4 Strut | RockAuto

How many miles on you car? Where you located?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Hi,

The car has 155,000 miles on it. I'm in southern california.

How do I know if I need to replace the full struts or base struts?

Edit: Just found this DIY link on this forum: newtiburon.com/forums/diy-suspension-brake/130752-strut-spring-install.html
although I'm not sure if it's for the GK or RD models. Also is it safe using a spring compressor if I haven't used one before?

·
Administrator
8,782 Posts
Base struts are just the strut, you swap over springs, bellows, top hat/bearing/mount.
With your age and miles, doing the top stuff is recommended.

Full struts (AKA "loaded struts"), is a complete assembled strut, remove the old strut, install the new strut.
Not all cars have an option for that.

Compressing springs can be hazardous due to the loads involved. If you feel comfortable removing struts, may be best to do so, then take old struts, new struts and top mount to a shop and have them swap parts.
Check first, not all shops have a good spring compressor and if they do, may not have the adaptors for some springs.
Our shop has a spring compressor.

Cheap spring compressors can be tricky to use.

If you can get them, KYB GR-2/Excell struts are a small step up over stock. KYB AGX are a little better, cost more, but are adjustable.

Don't buy cheap coilovers if you plan on keeping the car for a while.

PS, instructions for doing struts are fairly universal, if it's for a GK, should be good enough for a RD.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Okay. I think what you guys are telling me is:

1. Buy a set of struts (full struts probably not available) from KYB, the GR-2/Excell model if I can find it. If not, buy stock ones from RockAuto.

2. Take the new struts and my car to a shop that has a spring compressor. Ask them to use their spring compressor to swap out my struts.

Is this the correct way?

·
Registered
517 Posts
Okay. I think what you guys are telling me is:

1. Buy a set of struts (full struts probably not available) from KYB, the GR-2/Excell model if I can find it. If not, buy stock ones from RockAuto.

2. Take the new struts and my car to a shop that has a spring compressor. Ask them to use their spring compressor to swap out my struts.

Is this the correct way?
1. Buy KYB struts (KYB 333205 and KYB 333206), Stabilizer Bar Link (2pc, Auto 7 843-0147) and strut mounts (also recommended)
Link: Fits 96-06 Hyundai Elantra Tiburon Strut Mount 2pcs FRONT OEM 54610-2D100

2. Remove both front strut assembly(s) from your car.
3. Take new bare struts and the old strut assembly to the shop (in a different car) and have them swap the struts and mounts.
4. Install the newly assembled struts to your car.

Here's why compressing of spring can be dangerous and wouldn't recommend if you've never done one before: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ce5c6eUPW4s

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Okay that makes a lot of sense! But I had a few more questions:

1. Do I need to buy two new springs as well in addition to the strut mount and bare struts?
2. If I look at this picture of a full strut, I see an additional part inside of the spring that looks like a sponge-spring thing with a lot of circular layers. Should I buy two of those new as well?

Sorry I have so many questions. This is my first car and first time trying to do repairs.

·
Administrator
8,782 Posts
Springs, unless yours are cracked or you think yours are soft, use the OEM ones you have.
The whiteish thing in your link is a bump stop, you can reuse. Then there is the bellows, it's corrugated plastic to help protect the strut shaft, unless yours is falling apart, you can reuse that as well.

For a DD and some AutoX, you can reuse most of your strut parts.
Plan on an alignment when all parts are installed.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts