Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright.. So i was getting my I/H/E installed and the installer told me that I had a 2002 not a 2003. Now when I was looking into getting the car I knew there was no 2002 version. But I figured that this guy knew what he was talking about since he works with cars everyday and I have very little knowledge on the subject. So then I tell the guy that the dealership sold me a 2003 and its insured as a 03. Then I go home and still a little confused I look up how to read vin numbers and it says I have a 03. All in all I was just wondering if this has happened to anyone else? I mean, this shop comes highly recommended, so im not to sure where else to take it, they gave me the better deal on my I/H/E.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
they did make some in 2002 so yes it is technicaly an 02 but its the 03 model... if that makes sense. Doesnt affect anything parts wise between diffrent years other than it seems alot of the 02 cars had window and clutch issues

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
When they were installing my headers they said they to customize them to fit. I have DC headers.

·
Former Staff
3,336 Posts
Sometimes manufacturers skip a year, but just on paper, simply to make the model stand out even more (I mean, who wouldn't want to buy a 2008 or 2009 model right now?). So even though your car might have been built in 2002 (check the manufacture date on the inside of the door) it's still registered by Hyundai as a 2003.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks. The guy just had me a bit worried.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
what did the have to custom fit with the headers? just curious, i know my DC's came off an 04 and i am 05 with no issues

·
Registered
310 Posts
It happens all the time. Car was physically built in 02 as a 2003 model. Just like the the 2007 Tibs hitting the dealer lot will have been built in the latter part of 2006. Usually most manfactuers come out with the new models in summer. The earliest I remember was the redesigned 2003 Ford F-150 coming out in March of 2002.

·
Premium Member
3,006 Posts
I have a very early 03 GK that I bought in April of 02. It was actually built in November of 01 but it's an 03 model. Every part that I have fits perfect, no adjustments needed to make them fit. No problems with my clutch or windows either.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Your shop should know that the 10th digit of the VIN would indicate what year it is. With the 10th digit being a 3, you would have a 2003, 4 = 2005, 5 = 2005 and so on, no matter what the production date it. As was said, some '03s were actually produced in '01. Prior to '01, they used letters.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
05Tib said:
what did the have to custom fit with the headers? just curious, i know my DC's came off an 04 and i am 05 with no issues
Im not sure. All I know is that I was there for an extra two hours while they installed them. I think that they might have messed up and ordered parts for an 05-06. They told me the headers didnt fit but they could make them fit. Hence I believe thats when they said I had a 2002 version, as in made in 01.

·
Former Staff
3,336 Posts
sharkparts said:
It happens all the time. Car was physically built in 02 as a 2003 model. Just like the the 2007 Tibs hitting the dealer lot will have been built in the latter part of 2006. Usually most manfactuers come out with the new models in summer. The earliest I remember was the redesigned 2003 Ford F-150 coming out in March of 2002.
Actually, I think BMW released one of their models in 2005 as a 2007 model. That was weird.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
bgde319 said:
Im not sure. All I know is that I was there for an extra two hours while they installed them. I think that they might have messed up and ordered parts for an 05-06. They told me the headers didnt fit but they could make them fit. Hence I believe thats when they said I had a 2002 version, as in made in 01.
i dont think ur car was made in 01. i u have a GK it was made in 02 earliest and parts for the 05 06 will fit. I drive an 05 and the same parts fit mine as 03 and 04 and 06

·
Registered
225 Posts
bgde319 said:
DC Sports have some fitment "quality" issue with the tibs V6 headers
Make a search I'm sure there is at least two thread about this "fitment" issue

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
All I know is that they got it got it to work and I am happy.

·
Registered
3,837 Posts
bluegtv6 said:
I have a very early 03 GK that I bought in April of 02. It was actually built in November of 01 but it's an 03 model. Every part that I have fits perfect, no adjustments needed to make them fit. No problems with my clutch or windows either.
same minus the month... think it was december

·
Banned
1,542 Posts
Model year and Calendar year are 2 totally different things. Most model years run from September to August. So a 2007 model year car is usually built from September 2006 until August of 2007.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
blackshark said:
DC Sports have some fitment "quality" issue with the tibs V6 headers
Make a search I'm sure there is at least two thread about this "fitment" issue
mine had no issues and neither did they on the car it came off of. Any header can have some issues, any product period can have some issues. U cant make everything perfect, just the company's with lowest error % usually stay in business the longest. Maybe he just had some wacked out fitment issue... There is some thing u have to move out of the way but im sure its the same for all headers... Could be they just didnt realize how much work the header install would be and tossed on an extra 2 hr labor to compensate

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
05Tib said:
..Could be they just didnt realize how much work the header install would be and tossed on an extra 2 hr labor to compensate
I hope not. The shop I took it to is supposed to be one the better racing shops in the area.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts