Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Odd problem with this car overheating any help would be much appreciated!

We have had our 2003 Tiburon GT 2.7L for about 8 years in total started with my brother he never changed the spark plugs and moved the air filter down infront of the left front tire. We recently changed the spark plugs which we noticed a big increase in power sense the 3 of the spark plugs were barely igniting anyways this is were the problem starts, after the spark plugs we drove to a place about an hour and 30 minutes away and the car got super hot the A/C got hot and humid. It was also 105 degrees outside but the coolant was boiling when made it back home and tried to diagnose it, we replaced the thermostat nothing, we flushed the car multiple times nothing, One thing we did notice after flushing is that after flushing that milky rusty residue started coming up after each flush we figured it was the radiator because the radiator is super messed up super rusted so we figured that it may need a new radiator and A/C condenser but we are at a loss for what may be wrong we thought about the water pump but it seems to be pumping fine but again it is super old another idea which we have not checked would be the heater core, Head gasket and haven't checked the oil to make sure anything is cracked and crossing the coolant and liquid. One thing that was off though was we did a coolant flush and the milky rusty liquid came up the car got super hot pretty quick but cooled down decently quick we ran the car on water for awhile and the car seemed to run hotter on the coolant than water but the A/C was way cooler with the coolant. It’s something super odd we cannot think of anything else but again maybe we are missing something. Any help will be much appreciated!

·
Registered
92 Posts
Erm in your paragraph you seem to answer your own question really if the radiator is super messed up I'd have it on my list even if it's not the problem this moment.

I would start by starting the car with a cold start and checking if the fans kick on at near half temp like they should.

You aren't mentioning if you are having to re-add coolant to the system. If so I'd look towards the pump.

Either way I'd figure out the problem quickly and while NOT driving the car in the meantime once that head gasket goes either you or a mechanic are going to spend a lot of time on that engine of course if it's a mechanic that will be big money.

This is also a great time to get the timing belt replaced IF it's the pump and you take it to the shop. Even if it's not you should as soon as you can.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Forgot to mention that we did add coolant and fans do kick on. We kinda figured it was the radiator but the radiators is still functioning we think… When I look into it I see its rusty One thing I also forgot to mention aswell as when we flushed it it was not flushing what it should as in fluid we flushed it completely and it MAYBE took a gallon and a half. and about the timing belt we were looking to just replace the whole system there water pump, timing belt and pulleys. Where were kinda at a loss is the milky liquid I mean I very well guess it could be from the radiator but seems weird that it only takes 1 and a half gallons spits up milky liquid. I 100% agree about the head gasket we were kinda driving on it to find the conclusion of whats wrong but the head gasket was the one thing we did not want to do but I guess once I turn 16 Id like to have a reliable car.

·
Registered
2,851 Posts
Definitely get that radiator replaced and then let us know. Sounds like it may be plugged up somewhere and not allowing the coolant to circulate like it should.

And yes it's a good idea to do the water pump, tensioner, and idler pulley while you're in there with the timing belt. Crank and cam seals are also a good idea but not strictly necessary if there's no signs of any of them leaking.

·
Registered
567 Posts
start with timing belt, water pump and coolant flush, if the coolant still not clean, there could be head gasket failure.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts