Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone!

I am the proud owner of an '03 Tiburon that I bought about six months ago. It's a 2.7 liter, 6-speed manual with a V6. I am the second owner, and the previous guy did some customizing to it. This is my first car, so I'm very new at trying to fix problems and preform maintenance. This forum has proven extremely useful in fixing other issues my car had such as the slow gasing up due to the charcoal box clog.

I have run into a new issue as of late which is the check engine code P0174 - Fuel System too Lean Bank 2. Below is what I have tried to fix this issue, but the light just keeps coming back:

1 - Smoke tested under the hood for leaks, but found none.

2 - Smoke tested exhaust system for leaks, but found none.

3 - Took apart intake system and cleaned Mass Airflow Sensor, but light came back later that day.

SO! This car has a aftermarket AEM cold air intake installed by the previous owner, could this be my issue? The problem with this theory is that this problem wasn't present when I bought the car. If so, what should I do to fix this issue? I also thought that it might be my MAFS itself, so maybe I should buy a new one?

I look forward for what you all have to say! Thanks!

·
Registered
2,851 Posts
Could be the MAF, but normally you'll throw codes for both banks if that's the case. If you do replace it make sure you go with OEM.

Sometimes intakes will cause lean codes but usually they go away after the ECU adapts the fuel mix. You might try disconnecting the battery for awhile and opening a door or pressing the brakes to completely drain any residual energy in the system so the ECU will completely reset and see if that helps. On my previous 05 I had to do this a few times after an intake install before my codes finally stated away.

Do you have a way to measure long-term fuel trims? If so that may tell us whether it's actually too lean or not.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Could be the MAF, but normally you'll throw codes for both banks if that's the case. If you do replace it make sure you go with OEM.

Sometimes intakes will cause lean codes but usually they go away after the ECU adapts the fuel mix. You might try disconnecting the battery for awhile and opening a door or pressing the brakes to completely drain any residual energy in the system so the ECU will completely reset and see if that helps. On my previous 05 I had to do this a few times after an intake install before my codes finally stated away.

Do you have a way to measure long-term fuel trims? If so that may tell us whether it's actually too lean or not.
Thank you so much for the advice!! Sorry for my late reply. Do you think it could need a tune? Also, why should I go with an OEM sensor? I'm going to try and get rid of residual energy asap. Once again, thanks for taking the time to help me out!

·
Registered
2,851 Posts
No, for just a CAI you don't need to change anything with the tune.

You want an OEM MAF sensor because these cars are really particular with sensors. Anytime you're working with the MAF, TPS, IAC, CPS, etc you want to stick with the OEM ones. Aftermarket sensors from parts stores typically don't work well.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts