Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just had the timing belt replaced on my 2008 4cyl at 99,000kms/61,000miles (ish) and it’s making some whirring/whining noises at around the 2,000/3,000rpm mark , (and maybe even lower) , in first and second gear ; any suggestions as to what it could be ?

Back to the mechanic ? Or is this just pretty standard with all the new belts in there (replaced a few other belts , too) .

Installed yesterday , planning on going back to him tomorrow morning , but just looking to see what tibby owners think ~ TIA

·
Registered
7,981 Posts
Did the mechanic do a full timing belt kit that includes the water pump and all pulleys like the tensioner pulley? If so then its possible the mechanic put too much tension on the belt and the tensioner pulley is making the noise. If you keep it that way it will destroy the bearings in the pulley. A belt tension measuring device must be used to set the correct belt tension!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for responding .

Mine’s the 4cyl , so didn’t change the water pump , and yes he did change a ‘set’ of belts . I went back and asked about the noise a day or two after installation , he said to come back if it’s still making noises after 1 month/1,000 kms . His reason was ‘the belt will be tight at first’ - does this seem correct ? Or a little bit off ?

The noise does only happen just before the 2,000 rpms range and not at any other time / rev range .

Also , there’s a similar noise when I turn my wheels full lock either direction as well , if that gives clues to any other possibilities as to what it could be - or maybe the two are completely unrelated ~

·
Registered
1,899 Posts
ive went thru 2 4 cylinder Tibs so far and every time i changed all the accesory drive belts i would get the squeal like you described. it always was the A/C drive belt stretching and readjusting the tension took care of it. try that first.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ive went thru 2 4 cylinder Tibs so far and every time i changed all the accesory drive belts i would get the squeal like you described. it always was the A/C drive belt stretching and readjusting the tension took care of it. try that first.
Thanks for responding .

Cool , will go back this week and show him the noises , see what he comes up with 😎 👍

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Did the mechanic do a full timing belt kit that includes the water pump and all pulleys like the tensioner pulley? If so then its possible the mechanic put too much tension on the belt and the tensioner pulley is making the noise. If you keep it that way it will destroy the bearings in the pulley. A belt tension measuring device must be used to set the correct belt tension!!
Thanks for the reply !

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It was the tensioner , not exactly sure what he did to adjust it , but the sound’s gone , thank F .

He also tightened some kind of bolt so the sounds at full steering lock is also gone .

Relief on all fronts ~

1 - 8 of 8 Posts