Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought a 08 Tiburon, has about 237,000 km ( 147,000 miles )

I've had the car a couple weeks now, haven't had any issues that weren't easily solvable. But about a week ago, I was leaving the local pet store. Hopped in the car to fire it up to leave. she cranked, but didn't fire up. now granted I didn't hold the key down for a lengthy amount of time, the second it felt questionable I turned it off to avoid wear. Immediately tried again, she fired up fine and I went about my life. I hadn't had any issues since, but today leaving the grocery store she did it again, tried a second time she fired up but immediately fizzled and died quietly. I might've let off the key too quick and lost spark, i'm unsure as it's a new symptom and haven't had it happen enough to diagnose whether or not it was my own error or the cars. But again I tried after that and she fired up fine and I drove without issue. I even let it idle a long while when I got home and it didn't die on me or produce any alarming noises.

I live in Canada, Winter is starting. the weathers getting colder and snows being introduced alot aswell. Each time this has happened I was away from the car for about 20 minutes or less between driving it to a location and trying to start it to leave again. I don't have a OBD2 reader on hand, as I mostly drive older vehicles. But there's no engine light. at most i've got an airbag light but i've read those can be fairly common, it's been there since i've had the vehicle and I don't feel it's related. The car doesn't have this happen often enough for it to impede my life much. but i'd rather find the issue and fix it before it either becomes a big issue or creates one. Any advice or knowledge would be greatly appreciated thanks.

·
Registered
2,629 Posts
Sounds like it could be a clogged fuel filter or failing fuel pump.

Try this--when you go to start the car turn it to on (but not start) 2 or 3 times and then all the way to start. If it works then it's probably something with the fuel filter/pump and it's not getting enough pressure in the lines from one turn of the key.

I have a DIY on here for the fuel filters if you need to get in there and change them and/or the pump.

If that doesn't change anything it could be a spark or injector or other issue--find a scanner and see if there are any pending or archived codes.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Agreed, most likely a fuelling issue. If it starts and runs rough then clears up, it’s probably a fuel pressure issue.
If it cranks and doesn’t start then u leave it and restart it again and it’s fine, it could be an key reader/immobiliser issue.
My old GT Tib was a pita for the key reader not reading the key in the Ignition. I’d crank it and nothing, then pull the key out and put it back in again and it’d fire up as normal.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had an issue like that with a 98 Jeep Wrangler, but it was like that all the time. I was in a hurry putting a fuel pump and I didn't have the valve that stops fuel from draining out of the line quite right. It would allow the fuel to drain out of the line while it sat for a while. It was no big deal, but I'd have to try to start the car a couple times before it would go if I forgot to turn the key on, wait a sec, and then start it. I would let the car sit not running for a while, find the valve on your fuel line where you test for pressure, looks like a valve stem on a tire, then before you turn on the key, press the valve button with a little stick or whatever you have that fits in there and see if it still has a little pressure. If not, it could be something stupid like that.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts