Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been wanting to prepare my GT 2008 for twin turbos but having quite the difficult time actually finding parts to upgrade the internals. So far I have found really good forged pistons but kind of iffy on some of other parts I have come across, any suggestions of parts + their links would be greatly appreciated, I have things like 500cc fuel injectors and pretty much every thing else external and pushing pretty decently over the 200 HP mark, again just really need some help finding things that will allow the V6 to handle more horses and boost. Thanks in advance to anyone who can help out!

· Premium Member
2006 Hyundai Tiburon SE
1,454 Posts
CP pistons and Pauter rods are the most common combination. That's a $2300 investment and that doesn't include machining and balancing. What is your power goal?

What mods do you currently have that you can claim 200WHP? What are you tuning with to utilize 500cc injectors properly? 200WHP is not easy but you certainly don't need more than the OEM 210cc injector until you are pushing over 225WHP. Look at my modlist in my signature. That's worth about 190WHP without bigger cams.

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
money is not a concern whatsoever, the 08 Tibby GT is simply a project car, didn’t know these things even existed until a few months ago; my daily is a 2022 Stinger GT. The car isn’t properly tuned but I do have a tuner in my state that does my car, again I just need actual internal parts for the car, any other information isn’t needed 👍. Thanks.

Edit: If you want a lot of reliable upgrades to your engine, I recommend shark racing, they’re a bit hard to actually get into contact with but their parts are great, expensive, but that’s expected with the Tiburon, unfortunately.

· Premium Member
2006 Hyundai Tiburon SE
1,454 Posts
lol ok. Good luck. Keep us posted on your sweet twin turbo build. 👍

· Registered
600 Posts
Awesome to see a new build in the works. You can either use pauter rods or cp pistons. There's also a way to use h22 rods but with a custom speced pistons slightly cheaper the the cp and pauter rod combo , depending which how rod and piston beand you go the h22 rod option gives you more brands of rod and piston options. But the cp rod and pauter rod is the more straight forward option.

Also what made you decide to go twin turbo vs single turbo?

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Awesome to see a new build in the works. You can either use pauter rods or cp pistons. There's also a way to use h22 rods but with a custom speced pistons slightly cheaper the the cp and pauter rod combo , depending which how rod and piston beand you go the h22 rod option gives you more brands of rod and piston options. But the cp rod and pauter rod is the more straight forward option.

Also what made you decide to go twin turbo vs single turbo?
I’ve never twinned before… and the Tiburon is unfortunately a really bad platform I will admit, the aftermarket scene just really isn’t there but I bought the car with a whole exhaust system already on it so I’ve stuck around messing with it, but yeah the main reason is really for the experience and learn stuff, I’ve been working on the car for about 6 months now, I do plan on doing a single stage III Turbo at first from Garrett, get it dyno’d and TUNED once again (finding tuners for the car is awful), I know the stock engine can handle 300 HP comfortably, I’m pretty sure 350 is the absolute max.

But really this whole car is just a project car I want to experiment things I’ve never done before… I plan on doing an AWD conversion believe it or not.. the sante fe existing makes the AWD conversation and on the Tiburon WAYYYYY easier ( “easier” ). So yeah; this is supposed to be a huge project and I’ve stayed loyal to it so far, so we’ll actually see how far I can go with this!

also if you have links for the parts you mentioned before that would be great! I don’t know any reliable sellers… working on the Tiburon is definitely an experience haha

· Registered
600 Posts
I’ve never twinned before… and the Tiburon is unfortunately a really bad platform I will admit, the aftermarket scene just really isn’t there but I bought the car with a whole exhaust system already on it so I’ve stuck around messing with it, but yeah the main reason is really for the experience and learn stuff, I’ve been working on the car for about 6 months now, I do plan on doing a single stage III Turbo at first from Garrett, get it dyno’d and TUNED once again (finding tuners for the car is awful), I know the stock engine can handle 300 HP comfortably, I’m pretty sure 350 is the absolute max.

But really this whole car is just a project car I want to experiment things I’ve never done before… I plan on doing an AWD conversion believe it or not.. the sante fe existing makes the AWD conversation and on the Tiburon WAYYYYY easier ( “easier” ). So yeah; this is supposed to be a huge project and I’ve stayed loyal to it so far, so we’ll actually see how far I can go with this!

also if you have links for the parts you mentioned before that would be great! I don’t know any reliable sellers… working on the Tiburon is definitely an experience haha
These cars are necessary bad platforms it's just that you have to work harder for them most the owners mainly in the USA didn't really build their cars when the aftermarket support was around causing most manufacturers to leave . There's still some support but limited most stuff now you will just have to go custom.

Single turbo is a great option and way less complated the twin turbos on these cars plus with twin turbo set ups you can run big turbos because no room. Single turbo set ups can make more power that needed. Also stock motor is really safe around 300whp to 350 whp mostly just on pump gas. With water meth or e85 the motor can survive over 400whp for a while with a good tune. The stock long block record being 440whp and lasted 3 years .

Also the tuning issue can easily be simplified by getting an standalone ecu. Then any local performance shop can tune it that is familiar with thats standalone . I already know someone local who will be able to tune my tiburon after I turbo it and all because I have a standalone ecu .

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
These cars are necessary bad platforms it's just that you have to work harder for them most the owners mainly in the USA didn't really build their cars when the aftermarket support was around causing most manufacturers to leave . There's still some support but limited most stuff now you will just have to go custom.

Single turbo is a great option and way less complated the twin turbos on these cars plus with twin turbo set ups you can run big turbos because no room. Single turbo set ups can make more power that needed. Also stock motor is really safe around 300whp to 350 whp mostly just on pump gas. With water meth or e85 the motor can survive over 400whp for a while with a good tune. The stock long block record being 440whp and lasted 3 years .

Also the tuning issue can easily be simplified by getting an standalone ecu. Then any local performance shop can tune it that is familiar with thats standalone . I already know someone local who will be able to tune my tiburon after I turbo it and all because I have a standalone ecu .
Hmmm this is actually very interesting, I have never actually known much about tuning at all, never knew you could do that, this is very useful info, appreciate it a lot. On the other hand with the twin turbos I was looking at the big one I sent before, the Garette one and then getting a small secondary one if I could not figure out away to include an additional second one. I also had 0 idea that the base engine could handle that much horsepower.... very impressive for what the engine is, thanks a lot, seriously. --------- So at this point maybe I should get forged pistons on, the Big turbo and see how many horses I can crank out before anything else. I will definitely keep updates going up, I do plan on getting a body kit and wrapping the car, the body kit that has my attention is the Spec-R but I have never seen any good pics besides the default store pics online.

· Registered
600 Posts
Yeah a Garrett turbo definitely should work pretty well something like an gtx3076r or gtx3582r would be perfect. The gtx3582r is what in going to run but a knock off. With building the motor you could definitely make a decent amount. Would probably need to invest in a twin disk clutch and possibly axles and an lsd if you do go that route to be able to put down the power.

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah a Garrett turbo definitely should work pretty well something like an gtx3076r or gtx3582r would be perfect. The gtx3582r is what in going to run but a knock off. With building the motor you could definitely make a decent amount. Would probably need to invest in a twin disk clutch and possibly axles and an lsd if you do go that route to be able to put down the power.
Got any recommendations for the clutch, axles, and lsd? Again my biggest problem with the Tiburon is not knowing any reputable companies to purchase parts from, but I do thank you a lot

· Registered
600 Posts
Got any reccomendations for the clutch, axles, and lsd? Again my biggest problem with the Tiburon is not knowing any reputable companies to purchase parts from, but I do thank you a lot
For the clutch you will have to contact clutch masters, they can make a custom twin disk set up for you.

As for the axles you will have to contact the drive shaft shop, they can make you a custom set of axles with modified hubs . You will have to send them a set of your axles to base the dimensions for the built ones.

As for the the lsd if you have an 5 speed transmission there's not many options other than an phantom grip lsd insert, or I hear a Mitsubishi lsd may work but not sure what model Mitsubishi. Not much info I can find to be sure . If you have a 6 speed your options are see if you can locate a obx lsd and then get an washer upgrade kit and swap the washers in the lsd. Or see if you can buy a quaife lsd it's a little bit more expensive though .

· Registered
934 Posts
...if you can locate a obx lsd...
There is a seller on eBay selling them right now, there's two available last I checked. I bought one from them a while ago so I know they're legit.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts