Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
YoYo said:
If you dont know a sh!t about rotaries doesnt mean that a LS1 on a RX7 is a better choice either.
That was a good one. What makes you think i know nothing about rotaries? I'm no expert but then again its a new engine for me. I changed my brothers rx from the the regular sequential with that god damned rats nest to the simplified sequential and wow so much better if he ever has to find a vacume leak.The engine is a hell of a lot cleaner now. Still no expert but with time and working on his car i'll eventually learn. Hell i'm only 17 i've got my whole life ahead of me.

When did i ever say it was a better choice. Both have there pro's and cons. There's nothing more euphoric then hearing that rotary rev to 8 grand. However i also love the rumble of a v8. The rx7 was ahead of its time in styling. I aquired a shell for free from my brothers previous misfortunes after he dicided to just get a new one. So really i'm already ahead of the game. Doesn't matter anyway peaople will like what they like or vice versa.

Chris

·
Resident Mechanical Engineer
1,848 Posts
If you say you like the 13B better in the RX7, then you have never had first-hand experience with the sheer power of an LS1. They are truly monster engines.

·
EL NINJA MODERADOR
5,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Bosco said:
If you say you like the 13B better in the RX7, then you have never had first-hand experience with the sheer power of an LS1. They are truly monster engines.
Agreed w/ the Bold part because a relative has one '06Vette and that sh!t is fast :D But i dont see what is the point of drop a V8 on a car that can run so damn good w/ his 13B :3_chubby:

·
1,848 Posts
The '06 Corvette is powered by the LS2, which is even more potent at 400 hp. The Z06 has the LS7 at 500 hp.

Put it this way... LS1-powered cars are capable of hitting single digits N/A.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Bosco said:
never said that they both have ther pros and cons. i am dropping in a ls1 aren't I well eventually.

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
Bosco said:
might be that you've never had expirience with a powerful 13B

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
N/A rotaries last forever, so dropping a 20B in a stang isn't a bad idea...

the 13B is turboed though, and is notoriously flimsy...

the LS1 only weighs something like 40 pounds more than the 13B, and it can be mounted very low, which saves the handling...

·
Registered
308 Posts
The poor rotary gets called a lot of names because most people don't fully understand it or know how to maintain it so they get a bad rap when parts that should be replaced aren't and then fail. I can see the reasoning for putting an LS1 into an FD chasis. It's probably a hell of a lot cheaper to make big power that way. The additional weight is negligable as has been said before just by trimming some fat elsewhere.

·
Banned
434 Posts
TRiBaL said:
Jesus christ, LS1 RX7s weigh LESS than a stock rx7 sequential
yes but big power rotaries do a single turbo conversion that brings the weight down and

TRiBaL said:
and the weight distribution and handling are the f*cking same too.
not quite. but if you are putting in an ls1 you are probably more concerned about a track that doesnt have any turns anyway.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
antiquity said:
yes but big power rotaries do a single turbo conversion that brings the weight down and

not quite. but if you are putting in an ls1 you are probably more concerned about a track that doesnt have any turns anyway.
Wow misinformed people make me laugh. The handling is more or less the exact same. Yes they may be a slight difference, but its not very noticible. The weight of the car still has close to perfect weight distribution. Front 1423 and the rear is 1400. with a 1/4 tank of gas throw a bag in the back and its then perfect. If you get the Hinson subframe the engine is no higher then the rotary it sits lower which keeps the same center of gravity. Thefore YES it will handle almost the exact same. I will be auto-x mine upon its completion. But wait there a few other members on rx7club.net who race their car in other then straight lines.

Any other comments buddy?

·
1,848 Posts
Don't mind most people. They think a high displacement V8 engine can't have any other application than American Muscle - IE: 1/4 mile track. Scary when it's mated with good handling, huh?

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Bosco said:
Don't mind most people. They think a high displacement V8 engine can't have any other application than American Muscle - IE: 1/4 mile track. Scary when it's mated with good handling, huh?

It really is. I mean your taking a perfect car with awesome handling and throwing an engine in it that makes more power and is more realiable to the average person.

(If someone starts going on reliabilty of the rotary im gonna shoot them. Yes i know its realiable as long as you maintain them. My brother has a rotary FD i know)

You can take your car to basically any shop if you ever have a problem. It has all the power and all the handling what more could you ask for. Oh wait and it'll take a C5 vette cause its lighter. So let me get this straight. You'll have the same or better performance as a vette, undeniably great looks, near perferct weight distribution(23 pounds off from being perfect) and a car that will still handle flawlessly for 1/3 or 1/2 half the cost of a vette.

The lowest cost i've seen someone do the conversion themselves is like 13grand. Mine will likely be higher simply because of the fact that im doing it right the first time. I need to run new fuel lines and brake lines. New suspension which includes coilovers, bushings among other things. New braking system big brake kit, stainless steel braided lines... paint job since the car is primered right now. THe engine wont stay stock probably a complete rebuild depending on how many miles. definetely a mild cam, ls6 intake and throttle body. Kazz 1.5 LSD i might aswell do it before i get it running. Oh a complete new guage system probably defi guages. I want to make sure my guages are reading correctly since a few people are having some problems with their converted rx7 cluster. No expense will be spaired. The body is the only thing for the most part staying stock, but i see no reason to slap on a body kit. The only apearance mod will be the R1 front lip in cf

Sorry for the long post lol

·
1,848 Posts
Honestly, unless you really are going to be using this car for autocross, I'd say ditch the BBK and invest the cash elsewhere. In terms of the engine work, if you're going to be spending money, go for a more aggressive cam, a less restrictive intake manifold, and Pacesetter LTs, if not Kooks.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
I have to get special headers cause of how the its layed out. I have like two options. I have to get a complete new braking systems cause the stock one just isn't there. Unless i can get a good deal on some 99spec brakes.But ya i'll think of something. It will definetly be autocrossed

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Carb0n03 said:
wow so i guess the Ls1 in the rx7 that ill be starting when the tibby is sold is blasphemous huh?
hum...yes!
The same reason you dont put Chevy Big blocks in Ford Mustangs, nor you put 351 clevelands in a Camaros.!!! Blasphemy!!
These are more like automtive guidelines, you have to stick to them.!!

:3_got-hoo

**haha**just kidding it will probably work out good!!

21 - 38 of 38 Posts