Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I was on the side of the highway waiting for the tow truck to come change my tire. Somehow a nail shot into the sidewall of my driver side rear and was actually in the tire itself bouncing around. But that's not what I'm here for...

Since I'm in the process of re-doing my audio setup I was thinking of what kind of enclosure(s) I wanted for my subs.

1) standard box - easy to make, too much trunk space, not real eye catching.

2) fiberglassed in the rear corners - little harder to build, some trunk space saved, easier on the eyes.

3) a 3 seater converstion. Make a single seat in the center of the back instead of the 2. Curved fiberglass from the back of the seat to just behind the doors. This all housing a flushmounted 6x9 and sub as well as an amp on each side.

It's hard to explain it even though I see it in my head and I'm not very artistic so you'll have to come up with your own perspective on it. But it wouldn't cover up any windows, and still leave one of the 2 seldom used rear seats, just in case.

Has anyone done this or thought of it? Opinions?

While I still am thinking about number 3, there would be alot of planning/work involved so in the mean time I have decided to go with option 2, and maybe sell them off when I get the ambition to go ahead with it.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
sounds interesting.. not sure if anyone would really want to sit in the back then though... sounds like a good idea.. but will take a lot of time and effort...

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well time and effort makes most things look good.

GTea said:
People will be crawling over your equipment to get to the seat... dunno if you'd want that.
I though of that to. I made a very rough picture of what I was thinking, take it with a grain of salt though its just a bad drawing lol.

Plus I've had people in the back seat of my car probably less than 10 times in the 3 years I've had it. I guess I could make them sign a disclamer before they enter the back seat. Not responsible for loss of hearing and any damages caused by said passenger shall be paid in full heh. :3_lijstje

·
Registered
4,520 Posts
seat would have to be custom made, the rear seat comes out in 3 main pieces, the part you sit on is 1 long piece and each back in a individual piece, so cant use stock seats. seatbelts would be a prob too ... i think it would be too much of a pain in the wallet

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
It's funny 'cus I thought about making a sideways chaise lounge type seat in teh back because that's the only way people can sit back there comfortably. *shrugs*. I like your idea I just wonder about head space... it'd be neat for a single baby seat.

·
Registered
135 Posts
If you're doing it more for show than anything else, I say go for it. It's as original as any idea on this forum (if not more). I don't know if people would be pawing all over your speakers if you angled them inward, but hearing damage sounds like a realistic possibility...lol. Also, if you have double din DVD player in-dash, you won't have to buy heardrest units, they'll be able to see it from the single back seat...ol..You would be limiting your visibility through the rear view mirror, and that could be a problem given the limitations of the view through the sides of the car, but how often are you gonna have anyone back there anyway (like you said, 10 times in 3 years).
You'll get killed around here for the idea....but that'll end as soon as you post pics of the final product!

·
Registered
178 Posts
I just did a 2 seater, and if i were you i'd do the same. Our back seats aren't really practical anyways, so you'd just be going through a lot of trouble to custom fit a seat that you're never really going to use...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts