Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now I know this sounds ridiculous but here's my story. I have been having tranny problems since I bought my tiburon and for some reason, I still love and want the car. I have gone through the clutch drama and replaced the flywheel and clutch with aftermarket parts, therefore voiding my drivetrain warranty. This is now turning around to bite me in the *** because the "harmless" oil leak that the hyundai tech said I had (but don't have in writing) was actually a broken axle seal spilling out gear oil. I drove my dry gearbox for quite a while without knowledge of this and now I need to replace it...So...I bought a used 5SPD transmission from the junkyard for $500. not bad huh? too good to be true. I looked up the VIN through HMA parts and sure enough, they sold me a ****ing 6SPD. So now, i don't know what to do because I need to fix my car and I cannot find a used 5SPD. Does anyone know how insane a conversion would be? I don't think I have ever read about it being done.

·
More insane by the minute
1,257 Posts
I'd Pm someone like TC and find out what the exact differences are between the two. I think that most of the parts are probably useable between both units.

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
remove 5 sp tranny, istall 6 sp tranny, change shifter cables and shifter base alond with shifter, DONE.
Chase

·
Registered
433 Posts
pm setn i have a tranny for ya

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
remove 5 sp tranny, istall 6 sp tranny, change shifter cables and shifter base alond with shifter, DONE.
Chase

Isn't there some ECU issues with this transition also, because I don't think it's that simple. I had a chance to get a 6spd and didn't follow through because of all the issues.

·
Registered
3,879 Posts
I would think that there would be an ECU conflict also..

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
nope, sorry guys, think about it.
why can a 3.5 sigma motor (standard auto trim) be converted on a Stock ECU and engine harness, once ur using a manual (gears) it doesnt matter how many you have as long as you have fuel spark and rpms then car will go that fast, the ECU does not know the difference from 1 gear to the next, it cant, its electronic signal, not manual, think about it....
Chase

·
Registered
825 Posts
I thought it was alot harder to do the swap then that like conflicts with mounting brakets or things like that

·
Registered
93 Posts
Sell 6 speed, buy another 5 speed.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Dude take that tranny back to the junk yard and beat that worthless P.O.S. to death with it!!! and take your money back... then buy a 5 speed tranny!!!!!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Dude take that tranny back to the junk yard and beat that worthless P.O.S. to death with it!!! and take your money back... then buy a 5 speed tranny!!!!!
dont listen to these people. do the 6 spd conversion. depending on what performance mods you are going to do to your car the 5 speed will break easier. 6 spd = nearly unbreakable

·
Lighting and Accessories
10,456 Posts
Interesting thread.

Dance avatar dance!

·
Registered
335 Posts
I got my 5spd tranny from a junkyard in MA. I can't remember what the yard was called,
but it only cost $180 with 14k on it. Try looking on www.carparts.com

It was from a base elantra, so now my gear ratios are a little different. The gears are slightly
longer. I cruise at 3000rpm in 5th at 70mph. I think it used to be 3400 or 3500rpm.

Although it hurts acceleration a little, it gives me a higher top speed potential and the torque
from my turbo makes up for the longer gears in acceleration.

·
Registered
11 Posts
what i think might work is to rebuild the 5 speed using the 6 speed gears use all of the gears that u can. it will lower your top speed by a little but u should get better acceleration for drag racing i heard of someone doing that on seoulfulracing i think

·
Banned
456 Posts
dont listen to these people. do the 6 spd conversion. depending on what performance mods you are going to do to your car the 5 speed will break easier. 6 spd = nearly unbreakable
is this true? I'm trading in my 03 6spd for a 05 5spd this month. I figure if your boosted its better to have 5 speed so your first two gears aren't useless. So is it worse to have the 5 speed due to risk of it breaking? that just doesn't sound right to me....

·
Registered
407 Posts
is this true? I'm trading in my 03 6spd for a 05 5spd this month. I figure if your boosted its better to have 5 speed so your first two gears aren't useless. So is it worse to have the 5 speed due to risk of it breaking? that just doesn't sound right to me....
Its total BS.

NGM has a 400whp+ turbo 5spd with no issues. I have NEVER heard of anyone having problems with 5 speeds. 5 speeds are NOT weaker in any way what-so-ever.

·
Registered
35 Posts
i have blown ...

2nd gear once..
3rd gear twice..
and 5th gear once..

with my Elantra i4 5spd t4 turbo..350whp 376tq
many korean tuners have blown 5spd tranny...
i am not saying it's bad but not strong enough to last long time. it's well known fact in korea.

6spd is almost same as.. Evo's 6spd.. damn it's strong tranny..
it is designed and made by ISIN : eisin(might spelled them wrong) who made the EVO's 6 spd

you are so lucky to get 6 spd tranny for that price.

if you are selling it let me know..

1 - 20 of 34 Posts