Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
These recent oil topics got me thinking about this.

Today I'm picking up some of the official Hyundai oil filters. I've always used full synthetic, or at least what I thought was full synthetic. So I'm switching to Mobil1.

What's best for my car at this time of year (cold, winter)? 5w30?

Thanks

·
Registered
256 Posts
Oh god I don't think you know what you got yourself into!!! lol Trust me I know :3_frusty:

·
NT's master gardener
3,139 Posts
well, the manual calls for 5W30 i believe. look at the stats on the bottles of oil...those have what temperatures the oil is good for. i dont think its gonna make THAT huge of a difference. I used 10-W30 for the longest time then decided to switch to what the car calls for.

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
Yes 5w 30 is the way to go you don't want your oil to thick in the winter time. :3_winkthu

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well if the manual calls for 5w30, and 5w30 is good in cold climates, then 5w30 it is.

Sorry, I haven't seen the manual lately...

·
Registered
2,369 Posts
If you really want to get into details read the motor oil bible (I posted a link in Kitsune's thread).

Basically, the last number is the same for both (30), which gives a general viscosity measure under high temperature. Both will perform the same once the engine is warm. The first number is basically a measure of cranking ability in cold temps. Everything else equal, the 5w will let the engine turn over better than the 10w (and the 0w even better). You probably won't notice much difference unless it's extremely cold and has been sitting awhile.

The manual also says that 5w-30 gives a little better fuel economy (versus 10w-30), though I don't see why that would be the case since both are the same once the engine is warm.

·
Premium Member
3,782 Posts
I use 5w30. I used to use 0 w 30, but it became kinda hard to find. I could probably use 10w30, or straight 30 as it never gets cold here. It's still 91 degrees today.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrg.

I forgot to specify 5w30, and the shop forgot to ask. So 10w30 it is. I know it doesn't matter much, but still.

Anyway, we got Mobil1 full synthetic and a factory oil filter (I just stocked up on them). She's running nice, smooth, and quiet.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts