Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 6 th gear is hard to engage and disenage.
We already replaced the clutch, but not much difference any helps to help.

I also replaced 2 bushing where the shifter wires attach to the gear shifter in the top of trans.

· Premium Member
2006 Hyundai Tiburon SE
1,374 Posts
Likely an internal issue at this stage. You already covered your bases with the new clutch and new bushings. I would look into the possibility of the 6th gear synchro failing but you'll have a hard time finding a replacement synchro. It is rumored that the Aichi MFA80 transmission out of the Mitsu Evo has similar sychros but nobody has pulled the trigger on a set to find out yet. Might be better off finding a junkyard 6 speed and keeping your current one for parts.

· Administrator
9,550 Posts
My 6 th gear is hard to engage and disenage.
We already replaced the clutch, but not much difference any helps to help.

I also replaced 2 bushing where the shifter wires attach to the gear shifter in the top of trans.
Do you know how to, have you tried double clutching/rev match into 6th?
Does it go into 6th fine with the engine off?

If double clutch/rev match works, sorta rules out gears, cables, bushings....thus, synchro. Rots a ruk finding internal parts for a Tib trans.

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Do you know how to, have you tried double clutching/rev match into 6th? Does it go into 6th fine with the engine off? If double clutch/rev match works, sorta rules out gears, cables, bushings....thus, synchro. Rots a ruk finding internal parts for a Tib trans.
No, it's just hard trying to shift it in and out of gear.. it's like sliding metal on metal. I was wondering if shifter cables in gear area inside of car.?

· Administrator
9,550 Posts
Well, disconnect the cables by the trans one at a time and try the shifter. If the shifter suddenly gets smooth, you found the issue. Buy parts and fix it.

To clarify, shifting is hard even with the engine off?

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes, I can shift 1 thru 5 fine, even with car off. The 6th does not go in.
I tried reving it on freeway with clutch and it bearly went in, but getting it out, was difficult when engine was not reved.
I'll try this. I was under impression that it needs to 2 cables to shift properly.

· Administrator
9,550 Posts
Yes, to drive and shift you need all the cables. But this is an engine off stationary test to see if it's the shifter and/or cables and NOT inside the trans.
So, shifter cables being removed and trying the shifter will narrow the search. If it still shifts hard being disconnected from the trans, then stay out of the trans.

· Registered
707 Posts
Saw your post in the other thread. More than likely, if you cannot shift into 6th gear with the engine off, you probably have an internal synchro/gear problem. Something is bent or binding.

In either case, if you are interested in repairing it, you'll either need to ship it to me or somebody else on the forums capable of doing the rebuild, or find somebody local in your town who is willing to go through it. If you want a synchro upgrade, we can test the evo 8 carbon synchros. There is a chance of going down a rabbit hole, as some parts are discontinued.

Im located in SC.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts