Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I replaced my shifter cables because one of my cables was binding and was making it very difficult to get into gears, especially third. It is the cable mounted on the left side of the shifter towards the driver. After putting in new cables I'm still having the issue but not sure why. This Sunday I'm going to pull them back out and see if they are somehow bent. My first cables snapped because my TWM bronze shifter bushings seized and caused one cable to snap. The second set I had no issues for years and then they seemed to be binding and I assumed the cables were bad which is why I put in the third set in. Since I'm going to be removing them again I want to see if there are some tricks to make this a little easier. To those that have done cables do you take the bracket, that holds the cables, off the transmission to get more room and then reattach once you get the ends on the bushings? Also I had an extremely hard time getting the driver side nut that bolts the cable plate to the firewall on. I believe I had this problem last time but want someone to confirm this is normal. Lastly how are you guys getting the new cables in? I'm not able to slide the cables under the dash and into place. The metal plate does not have enough room to slide through there. I've been doing it by removing the plastic at the footwell area and sliding the cables in and out through the sides. The problem is is that I feel I have to bend the cables into some potentially compromising positions which maybe caused the cables to bend too much. Any help is appreciated I have until Sunday to get this figured out. Thanks

·
Registered
235 Posts
Boy oh boy, that firewall plate gave me nightmares when I had to replace my cables.
the "correct" way to do it is to take all the HVAC components out from the center console, but I opted to be a smart-a$$ and not do any of that, and try to get tiny wrenches there to take it off.
HOURS of bending backward to get the bolts off, I wished if I have went with the correct way of doing it.
anyway, sometimes the cable needs adjustment, especially for 3rd/4th, since they are in the middle. you need to adjust the cable that moves when you move your shifter left/right.
it can be adjusted from inside the cabin, no need to take anything off, just the head that connect to the shifter mechanism.

Do you have a problem with 4th too?

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Boy oh boy, that firewall plate gave me nightmares when I had to replace my cables.
the "correct" way to do it is to take all the HVAC components out from the center console, but I opted to be a smart-a$$ and not do any of that, and try to get tiny wrenches there to take it off.
HOURS of bending backward to get the bolts off, I wished if I have went with the correct way of doing it.
anyway, sometimes the cable needs adjustment, especially for 3rd/4th, since they are in the middle. you need to adjust the cable that moves when you move your shifter left/right.
it can be adjusted from inside the cabin, no need to take anything off, just the head that connect to the shifter mechanism.

Do you have a problem with 4th too?
The plate was a pain but I was able to get to the nuts on the firewall by taking out the plastic in the footwell area. For some reason during reinstall I got the plate on one stud but trying to get the plate on the other one I really had to force it. I’m assuming the adjustment piece is right next to the attachment on the shifter. Yes I have issues going into fourth as well. It’s almost as if the cable does not want to slide back and forth at all. If I am in first gear I can easily go to second and back to first and if I’m in third I can easily go to fourth and back to third or if I’m in fifth I can easily go back-and-forth from 5th to 6th but going from first and 2nd to 3rd or fourth or even from fifth and sixth to third and fourth is almost impossible. Even going from first and 2nd to 5th and six Is hard as I feel the cable is binding. Even though it feels like it’s binding if I am trying to go from first and 2nd to fifth and sixth or from fifth and 6th to 1st and second I don’t have a problem matching it because it’s just slamming the shifter all the way from left to right or from right to left but with trying to get it to match up in the middle with third and fourth it binds like crazy and it’s tough to find where the gear is.

·
Registered
235 Posts
one easy test to do .. disconnect both cables from the transmission side, and try to move the shifter to the limit of all 4 directions, do you feel any resistance at any point?
if so, then you have cable issue (or cable positioning issue), other wise it is just adjustment issue.
if you feel any resistance, then either the cables are bad, OR the cable(s) has a kink in their path. make sure that you have a smooth, no hard bends, path to the tranny.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts