Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
flywheel was new 10k ago, i just replaced clutch, pressure plate and throw out bearing. When i got it all back together and went to drive it the clutch wouldn't engage. Even with the car running i can shift through all the gears without pushing in the clutch pedal. With the car off and in gear i can still push it like its in neutral.

·
Registered
6,608 Posts
Even if you forgot to clip in the throw out bearing after putting it back together the input shaft of the transmission would still be spinning because the pressure plate is holding the clutch disk. So really the only possibility if it was fine before is that either there's no clutch disk (unlikely) or you didn't hook the shift linkage back up.

·
Registered
6,608 Posts
Honestly that's the only 2 things I can think of unless you somehow damaged the transmission on removal or reinstall.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i'm pretty sure the clutch isn't in wrong. if you put it on the shaft one way there's a gap between the clutch and the flywheel. I figured that was wrong so i flipped it around and it sat nicely up against it. Before the tranny went in we pulled the case apart to check everything and it all seemed practically brand new

·
Registered
6,608 Posts
Oh, well there's your problem. You probably didn't reinstall the shift rods correctly, hence why it's not going into any gears.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
shift rods? it'll go into gear. i can sit there and shift it all day. you can hear it click into each gear. i can do it with the car running or not without the pedal pushed in. for whatever reason the clutch isn't engaging. and i can't think of why if it was put in correctly

·
Registered
6,608 Posts
So if you try to go into gear when the car is running what happens? Cause if the input shaft is spinning, it will grind. If it's not spinning, then it won't, but there's no connection from the engine to the transmission in that case.

Can you post any pictures of the install?

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So if you try to go into gear when the car is running what happens? Cause if the input shaft is spinning, it will grind. If it's not spinning, then it won't, but there's no connection from the engine to the transmission in that case.

Can you post any pictures of the install?
i can put the car in gear while its running. but it just goes in smooth like the pedal is pushed in. but its not. i don't have any pics of the install. i figured it was pretty straight forward. lol

·
Registered
6,608 Posts
Ok so if it feels like it's going into gear, then it definitely is because if the rods weren't reinstalled correctly either it wouldn't let you go into gear or you'd have no feeling. So it seems to me like the pressure plate isn't clamping down on the clutch disk.

Just a though but how is the slave cylinder? Does it move when you push the clutch pedal?

·
Registered
6,608 Posts
Can you post a picture of it please? I think what happened is the rod was moved out of place so it's stuck in the engaged position and isn't retracting.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Can you post a picture of it please? I think what happened is the rod was moved out of place so it's stuck in the engaged position and isn't retracting.

thats the best i could get. there's too much crap in the way. it does appear to be stuck in the engaged position. but if it were actually engaged i wouldn't be able to shift without pushing in the pedal. right?

·
Registered
6,608 Posts
That's the arm but I meant the slave cylinder itself. You should be able to see it even with the stock intake, but I know you can see it easily with an SRI or CAI.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
oh, its not even connected at the moment. the arm is just stuck like that. it literally moves 2mm if you move it with your hand. the slave moves in and out as it should......when not connected to that arm. that arm won't move much at all

·
Registered
6,608 Posts
Okay so normally yes, the arm SHOULD NOT move much by hand, but with the slave cylinder attached it should when pushing the clutch pedal. So you're saying that even with the slave cylinder attached that it still doesn't move much?

·
Registered
6,608 Posts
Correct. It moves about as much as it does by hand
Okay, I can't really think of a reason why the clutch would remain disengaged since it's engaged all the time except when you activate the slave cylinder...

What clutch is it?

1 - 20 of 41 Posts