Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I asked in another thread and never got a full answer! I want to know exactly what is the best option. There is a new race shop near me that carries Royal Purple MaxGear, and Lucas. I want to know exactly what weight; was told 75W/85 or 90, and which one is the best to use! I need to change mine at the next oil change and would like to get the stuff this weekend while I am up there for other stuff. And if you have part numbers that would be a great help when I call them back. L8R

·
Registered
162 Posts
I have always run Pennzoil Synchromesh in every manual transmission car that I have ever owned and I swear by it. It has no weight on it and is universal for all cars. It is basically a scaled down version of GM's syncromesh. Best of all is that it is like 5 USD at Auto Zone.

I have run Valvoline as well as BG Synchroshift and I have not been impressed with their products. The BG was a lot better than the valvoline but in cold weather, you would still strip gears even when granny shifting. With Pennzoil, I have never had that problem at all.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I just switched from Royal Purple's Max Gear to Red Line. Max Gear made the car very notchy, especially when cold. Spoke with Red Line and they suggested a mix of MTL and MT90 to achieve the 75W/85. Gear box is a joy to drive with again.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
04_GTV6 said:
Gm Synchromesh Ftmfw!
I have read alot of people use the Synchromesh, but have switched to either Redline MT90 or AMSoil and said it was even better, have you tried either of them two? I just want to get the best I can for the 6 speed, since it is 30,000 miles of use!

nul7 said:
AMSoil SevereGear FTW!
Do they make it in the 75W/85, and how long have you been using it?

I have talked to a few and they said the dif. between the 85 and 90 is not enough to worry about, but I think winter time is when it would be, and that is soon to be upon us!

·
Premium Member
3,782 Posts
Yeah, I have heard similar things about the syncromesh to a full synthetic like redline of Amsoil. People who ran synchromesh were even more impressed with Redline/Amsoil.

I am currently running Redline 75w90 in my transmission. When I changed over from the OEM oil, it was like a night and day difference. Much smoother, no synchro problems. I've been running it about 25k (and about to change it again, using same product).

Here is the link:
http://www.redlineoil.com/products_gearlubricants.asp

I don't know how well the 75w90NS would work, so try that at your own risk.

If you have major problems with your synchros, they also make some type of Shockproof oil that is an additive to your normal tranny oil. The subaru guys use this alot in their differentials and tranny, and have had good reviews. Hoewever, if you use that stuff, its supposed to be replaced frequently (like 12-15k).

·
Premium Member
3,782 Posts
kartunez said:
I have talked to a few and they said the dif. between the 85 and 90 is not enough to worry about, but I think winter time is when it would be, and that is soon to be upon us!
Yeah, 75w85 and 75w90 is negligible. If anything the 75w90 is protecting a tiny bit better.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Malogus said:
But whatever oil you choose, just make sure it's GL-5, and you will be fine.
Well funny thing is my car calls for GL-4, is the 5 just a better cert. or quality? Like I said, first manual I have owned, now when it comes to automatics, I am all over it! So if I am reading it right, just get Redline (or whatever) 75W/90 as long as it is GL-4 or higher, right!?!

·
Premium Member
3,782 Posts
kartunez said:
Well funny thing is my car calls for GL-4, is the 5 just a better cert. or quality? Like I said, first manual I have owned, now when it comes to automatics, I am all over it! So if I am reading it right, just get Redline (or whatever) 75W/90 as long as it is GL-4 or higher, right!?!
Maybe I just gave bad advice. I seriously was certain it called for GL-5, but could be wrong. I don't know what the difference between GL4 and GL5 is. I am removing that from my original post.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
I may be wrong about the 4, I called Auto Parts store and that is what he said it took off their computer! The GL4/5 maybe like DOT on Brake fluid, as long as your at the number or above your good, just don't go below! I called Royal Purple with questions, and that was one of them, they said to use there MaxGear 75W/90 but it is for GL-4 and 5! He said that my car calls for 4, but their product is good for both 4 and 5! I don't know if Hyundai changed between the years or what! I am going to call the dealer and find out the exact fluid I should use! L8R

Dealer said to use 75W/90 GL-4, so I believe as long as the fluid is Gl-4 compliant, i.e. the Gl-4/5 on the Royal Purple, everything should be good, correct me if I am wrong!

·
Registered
4 Posts
i work for a hyundai dealership and it is definetly gl4 rated. If you put gl5 in your tranny you run the risk of damaging your syncros, i've done alot of reading for my mitsubishi's. the hyundai part number is 08950-00020-A for 75w85 synthetic base! hope this helps

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
AMSOIL GL-4 85-90w.
CHase
ill take a pic and email it to you if youd like.
Let me know kartunz.....
Later

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
ShrkByt05 said:
AMSOIL GL-4 85-90w.
CHase
ill take a pic and email it to you if youd like.
Let me know kartunz.....
Later
Yeah let me see one, you can PM if you like or E-mail it. Are you currently running it in your car, I know that you got hooked up finally, just curious how it is working out for you? L8R

·
Registered
44 Posts
Skip GL5. After running Max Gear for about 4,000 miles, I called Redline and he said that the GL4/5 is too slippery for the syncros, hence my notchy gear box. He said stick to GL4 rated fluid and use a mix of MT90 and MTL, works like a dream and gets a close 75w-85. Like I said before, i feel in love with my gearbox all over.

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
i was running GM synchro, and found out what i wanted in a gear oil i wasnt getting, i mean, yea it felt slicker in the transitions of gear changing BUT i was suffering and prolonged and startup lubricity.
changed to what the car recomended in amsoil gear lube and ill never go back, its great, i mean, everyone uses GM, BUT for $30 in gear oil (i bought 4 and never used any after 3 and i force fed it in witha a vacuum pump)
so less then $30 to try somthing new AND better.
ill Email you the pick tonight to post up kartunz.
Chase

·
Premium Member
3,782 Posts
Well I don't know what I am running now. I thought it was just the Redline 75w90, but I wouldn't have put GL-5 in. Maybe I have MT-90 which is a 75w90 GL-4 based lubricant. I wish i was home so I could go check.

Anyways, I am about to change it again shortly, and MT-90 is what I will be using.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So I just need MT90 or do I need to mix the other that your talking about?

·
Banned
312 Posts
kartunez said:
I have read alot of people use the Synchromesh, but have switched to either Redline MT90 or AMSoil and said it was even better, have you tried either of them two? I just want to get the best I can for the 6 speed, since it is 30,000 miles of use!

Do they make it in the 75W/85, and how long have you been using it?

Haha, you live in texas, what do you know about winter??

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
GTea said:
Haha, you live in texas, what do you know about winter??
I live in Texas, but I was born in the middle of the Rookies in Colorado. I have been in snow that towers over my head by far, so I know everthing there is to know about winter, [email protected]$$! :3_winkthu
I also know that it can be 80 degrees today here in Texas, and then 12 hours later it can be 20, so I don't care how cold you get, when you drop 60 degrees over night, that $hit is cold. We also have high wind chill factors, it is what makes our cold unbearable at times. I can be at the cabin in Colorado when it's below 0 degrees outside and not feel anywhere near as cold as 20 degrees does hear in Texas. Just because we dont get 10 feet of snow fall, doesn't mean its not cold enough down hear! And, where do you live that it is so much colder than where I do? J/C

1 - 20 of 23 Posts