Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got my car back from the 60,000 mile timing belt /waterpump replacement and all the fluids changed. I had the dealer perform the service because I just didn't have the time to do it myself. The total for everything parts/labor was $999.88.

·
Registered
547 Posts
wow is true...

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I was quoted a price of $1,200 but it did not take as much time as he thought it was. The 60,000 mile service is just more that changing the timing belt. Also replaced the water pump, belt tensioner, replace spark plugs, drain and flush the radiator, crankcase, and transmission. Normal price is between $1,200- $1,400 is it is done correctly.

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
jeez,

i did it with a friend for the price of the timing belt and tensioner, didnt replace the water pump though, i was told that it's not really necessary yet,

even so i have 75k miles and the old timing belt still looked like new, not a hair crack on it.

Total cost, around $100 i think....

still need to do an oil and tranny fluid change in january though

·
Registered
2,562 Posts
cblankin said:
Just got my car back from the 60,000 mile timing belt /waterpump replacement and all the fluids changed. I had the dealer perform the service because I just didn't have the time to do it myself. The total for everything parts/labor was $999.88.
You got hosed, Tommy.

·
Registered
3,837 Posts
cblankin said:
I would have thrown in a little smelly tree for that price

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
ya the water pump doesnt need to be replaced. they are pretty durable and will easily last well over 100k when taken care of.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Geez, a grand for that?
Let's see. I did it all at once.
Timing belt $70.oo
Clutch: $450.00
Flywheel $400.00
Headers $300.00
Fluids $ (not more than $50 ~ that's coolant, trans fluid, oil)
So all together it was around $1300.00

I guess it was a good idea to pull the engine out and do everything at once.

·
Registered
236 Posts
אני חיּל המשיח;2086855 said:
For everything they did... the price isn't that far off given the hourly rates shops charge these days. I can't imagine changing very many water pumps just for the sake of doing it.

Comparing a price by ANY shop with what a DIY job cost really is not comparable. There is generally considerable mark up on the ALL the parts from the dealership. Often, twice the price on a given part from what you can get from aftermarket shops that sell OEM stuff is not unheard of. With a 60k mile tuneup, I don't think that shopping around and trying your best to compare apples to apples is a bad idea. It's not a situation where your car it out of commission. Often times, even a dealership will match pricing if you bring in a written estimate/quote from certified mechanic.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Dude you got raped you could have bought the timing belt kit from one of out sponsor for 299 and did it yourself. Like someone said fluids 50 bucks at most. Also those kits are OEM parts so even if you did buy it and then took it to a dealer they would still warrenty everything because is OEM replacement parts.

Jeez that sucks bro ask questions before you do major service someone will give you better advice than a dealer trying to rip you off. We could have saved you a couple of bucks for mods

1 - 20 of 31 Posts