Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just thought i would post this in a more heavily viewed area since zaion hasn't yet.....he posted it in boostology section here. According to Phantomgrip the 6spd LSD will (like the title says) fit the 5 spd tranny. This is a new news as far as i know so yea....celebrate for the 5spd guys

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
I just hope they actually tested it...

...and they're not assuming it.

·
Registered
3,879 Posts
How about someone post some detailed pics of the phantomgrip unit and and 5-speed setup that speedfreak USED to sell.

·
Registered
725 Posts
05GT said:
How about someone post some detailed pics of the phantomgrip unit and and 5-speed setup that speedfreak USED to sell.
they still offered it on their site last time I checked

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Zaion said:
I just hope they actually tested it...

...and they're not assuming it.
well it won't effect me but yea...that would be a ***** if they assumed it....save that email just incase....

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
They have no application specific info or pics (well a couple of tibs that have them, but nothing inside) But here are their basic install instructions...judging by the way the insert functions it would work as long as the 5spd diff. is of similar size and the spider gears and whatnot had similar clearences where the insert fits in.....i'll try and find tech info on the diffs.

·
Registered
407 Posts
I asked the local hyundai mechanic a long time ago. It was perfect timming cus he had to rip out the differential out of a 6speed that day. He later phoned me (after it was out) told me they were in no way interchangable.

Speed Freak also looked into weather or not their 6 speed inserts would work with 5 speeds, and obviously they found out it wouldn't. Hence the two versions of LSD insert.

I have not seen the two differentials myself. The phantom grip is the same (close counts) differential as the 6 speed. So unless everyone I talk to is lying, the phantom grip will not work on a 5 speed.

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
the diff soesn't have to be the same...just the area and specs that the insert fits into....inside the diff.

one would think that speedfreak would have tried that though.....

zaion...maybe you should ask if they have actually tried it and for pics....

·
Registered
407 Posts
mcdwf398 said:
the diff soesn't have to be the same...just the area and specs that the insert fits into....inside the diff.

one would think that speedfreak would have tried that though.....

zaion...maybe you should ask if they have actually tried it and for pics....
yep...tho the reason I bring up that the two differentials are too is because a Phantom grip is the whole differential (6 speed) and it will not fit into a 5 speed tranny. The 6 speed is a too big and different bolt pattern (so says the mechanic) for the 5 speed.

As for Speed freak, I believe they did check. And the 6 speed insert did not fit and thats the reason why they had to manufacture a whole new Insert. When they first started selling LSD, I asked them if it fit. They said yes without checking. I then gave them the info from my mechanic. They then said that they should check to make sure and needed someone to send them a 5 speed diff. After some time, someone did send them one. And they found out it would not fit, so they made a new LSD for 5 speed trannys.

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
My dreams just faded away again...

·
Banned
3,074 Posts
Or ya can jus go out and get a 6 spd trans Zaion most salvage yards have them for around 5or 600 dollars.I know that sounds like alot , but it sure is nice more available parts for it :)

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
na.. I'd like to keep my 5spd...

Its a gear less at the drag strip. Unless i invest in a 6spd plus Chase's dog set...

·
Banned
3,074 Posts
Gotcha :3_nosthum

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
RazziTib said:
yep...tho the reason I bring up that the two differentials are too is because a Phantom grip is the whole differential (6 speed) and it will not fit into a 5 speed tranny. The 6 speed is a too big and different bolt pattern (so says the mechanic) for the 5 speed.

As for Speed freak, I believe they did check. And the 6 speed insert did not fit and thats the reason why they had to manufacture a whole new Insert. When they first started selling LSD, I asked them if it fit. They said yes without checking. I then gave them the info from my mechanic. They then said that they should check to make sure and needed someone to send them a 5 speed diff. After some time, someone did send them one. And they found out it would not fit, so they made a new LSD for 5 speed trannys.
No, no, no.......the phantom grip is the insert....not the whole diff.....it is the one speedfreak was selling. So like i said regardless of the actual size of the diff. it could still fit...IN the 5spd diff....if that space is the same size/shape/etc.

http://www.phantomgrip.com/products.htm

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Zaion said:
My dreams just faded away again...
yea so email um back and ask if they actually checked it.

·
Premium Member
3,782 Posts
Thats an expensive mistake to even find out. It was abotu $500 to disassemble/reassemble my tranny to put the LSD in. To spend that and not have it fit would be kind of pricey.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Theres only two companies that i could think of that offer the whole differential with the insert in it already which is Quaife and Roadracemotorsports. and i don't know of a single person on here who has either one of them.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts