Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

· pass dat....
5,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am wanting to add a little more flash to my stereo, but don't want to add too much weight for obvious reasons. A sub box in the trunk is out of the question, and I don't want a system where people are going to want to tear the roof off to get inside.

Has anyone replaced the rear 6x9 speakers with a pair of 8" subs? Is there an 8" sub that can be mounted there that will perform well not being in a box? If I can't go with an 8, what is a good set of 6x9s that will put out some bass?

· Registered
1,427 Posts
I like that Idea! You could probably get away with a free air sub. It's been a while since I looked behind my panels, but I think you'll have to do a little cutting and bending to mount an 8" in there. If you put a normal sub in there, you should put an enclosure as well. MDF is probaby out of the question given the odd shape we're dealing with here. If your up to it, I would try to make a fiberglass enclosure. That way you could have your system and nobody would ever see it.

· Registered
190 Posts
I put Crossfire BMF 8's in the doors. The factory grill is the same diameter of an 8. You just need to trim a little of the door panel and a little sheet metal. I also beefed up the panel with some MDF to help with the weight of the sub. Sounds pretty good with about 75 watts behind them..:3_nosthum

Back to your question about the rear opening. You'll need to build and enclosure to put in their, so the front and rear sound waves don't cancel each other. It will sound pretty bad if you just free air them..:3_toilet-

· Registered
643 Posts
What's up Mitch!? Hey I know of one guy who did this before, but I can't remember if he used 8" or 10" subs. His screen name is MrAbyss, and his real name is Brian, but he doesn't frequent the forums very often. From what I remember, it didn't sound all that bad either...not real heavy on the base but really nice midrange punch. I'd just drop him a PM about it and see what he says.

· Registered
606 Posts
yes its is possible and im going to try with some 8's that im about to buy in january. their all ED stuff and the cut out diamter is 6'' so im guessing the fit and if no im pretty sure an MDF ring can fix the problem. and BTW i just had this conversation with waytoofast last night! crazy crazy world.

· Registered
7,179 Posts
there is TONS of space behind the panels, you can keep the 6x9 and add the 8" there is a place to mount them to and more the 12 inches of cubic space so it will be good sound, the issue is the rattle of these panels and venting the air flow to the car, again these are simple problems though.

if you do this post some pics, thinking of doing this myself later!

· Registered
343 Posts
oneloudtibby said:
I put Crossfire BMF 8's in the doors. The factory grill is the same diameter of an 8. You just need to trim a little of the door panel and a little sheet metal. I also beefed up the panel with some MDF to help with the weight of the sub. Sounds pretty good with about 75 watts behind them..:3_nosthum

Back to your question about the rear opening. You'll need to build and enclosure to put in their, so the front and rear sound waves don't cancel each other. It will sound pretty bad if you just free air them..:3_toilet-
do you have pics or a DIY for this.. i would love to have subs in my doors.

· Banned
254 Posts
Don't bother putting 8" subs where the old 6x9's are, thats ridiculous. Get a set of Kickers, 6x9's, and an amplifier. You can tune your system to your preferences from there. Honestly if you want more bass but not more weight installing a single 10" sub in a small box in the trunk/hatch/whatever you want to call it probably will weigh less than installing two 8's where the 6x9's are.

· Registered
190 Posts
Take off the factory grill. It was pretty close. My Crossfires were the exact same diameter of the factory grill, but needed to trim the door panel a little, for the frame. Used a dremel tool to cut it, and then marked where the sheet metal needed trimmed and did the same w/dremel. With the panels in a very loose position, it only took about an hour. Also depending on the spkrs/weight, you might need to reinforce the back of the door panel with some MDF. I had too.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.